Iceman's Last fight the Poll - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Iceman's Last fight the Poll

View Poll Results: Who should Chuck Liddel Fight in his last fight?
Houston Alexander 1 9.09%
Ryan "The Master" Bader 0 0%
Stephan Bonnar 1 9.09%
Quinton "Rampage" Jackson 1 9.09%
Rich Franklin 1 9.09%
Anderson Silva 6 54.55%
Brandon Vera 1 9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-12-2009, 02:48 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3496 Times on 1613 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Interesting. I can't vote I am afraid, because I would need to vote for a couple of opponents.

Here's the problem - Chuck can still throw, and he can still sell a TON of tickets on the co-main event type of fight, but he needs a good named fighter that will not make it seem like a one sided affair.

Silva?? No. He'd kill Chuck.

Bonnar?? He doesn't have the name, and quite frankly, who would care??

Bader? He's sidelined with an ACL/Knee deal and probably won't be back until UFC 104. Happy Birthday Tango.

Vera is at 205, but he hasn't shown anything, to anyone, since dropping there permanently. He has signed to fight my guy Krzysztof Soszynski at UFC 102, so that puts him on the shelf until atleast Dec 1. And that is IF he doesn't get knocked cold by KS and gets a medical suspension.

For Chuck, in one of his last fights, I like Mark Coleman. Coleman can't really strike, and Chuck can avoid most of his takedown attempts. Coleman still has a name that can be marketed, he just beat Bonnar, so he is coming off a "big win" and he doesn't have a fight signed.

I think Chuck should fight Mark Coleman as the Co-Main Event in Nov.

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 02:52 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
The legacy is tarnished already. If he could pull it off against Silva, he could retire a UFC god.

I would like to see him train all out one more time, show for this thing prepared, get the K.O., and walk away for good.
Silva only has 2 fights left on his UFC contract and he has said several times he is going to go free lance and not resign with the UFC. I think he wants to fight Fedor before he retires.

You know damn well Dana wants Anderson to defend his belt against Hendo again, and possibly a superfight with GSP.

They definitely don't want to leave the 185# belt on the shelf for over a year - so Silva won't be fighting Chuck anytime soon...

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 03:56 PM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

In the perfect world, nobody else poses as much of a challenge, especially for a retirement fight, where a legacy is made or broken.

I hate the "Roberto Duran Syndrome." Get out on top, and be a legend. Don't come back out of shape for "one more shot." Chuck was an icon, and the sport would be no where near what it is without him. He could have gotten out on top, stuck around a little too long, and now either needs to walk or take down a cyborg.

Silva is that cyborg, pound for pound. Their styles make it a perfect fight.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:03 PM   #14

Liked 42 Times on 35 Posts

Benning I think you have a great idea.

Chuck vs Cyborg. I bet she KO's him in the first round.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:15 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

ROTFLMAO, that wasn't my line of thought, but now that you mention it...

Old 08-12-2009, 04:16 PM   #16

Quote:

Silva is that cyborg, pound for pound. Their styles make it a perfect fight.
I agree with everything you said, except this last part. Chuck can't take a punch anymore.

For years he cleaned out the 205 ranks, but everyone he fought WASN'T a big puncher, except for one guy. Wanderlai Silva, and he is more of a Muay Thai striker than a huge, one shot puncher.

Let's look at the list:

Randy Couture - 3 times. He was 2-1. The one win Randy had was keeping his elbows tucked and he flat out boxed Chuck until he was able to knock him out. Randy is not a big puncher.

Tito Ortiz - twice. 2-0. Tito is a great ground and pounder, but he isn't a strong striker.

Alistair Overeem ( In Pride ) is a good striker, but that was when Chuck was pretty much on top of the world and it was in 2003.

Babalu? 2 times, 2 wins. Babalu is a ground wizard who couldn't take Chuck down.

Jeremy Horn? 2 Times. Went 1-1. Jeremy submitted him in his 3rd fight in MMA. Chuck forced a TKO/Stoppage 6 years later.

Quinton Jackson? Fought him twice, got knocked out twice. Rampage is a strong striker.

Rashad Evans? 0-1. Knocked dead. Rashad has proven to be a strong striker.

Shogun? Chute Box trained. Good striker, not even great, knocked Chuck out cold.

Chuck just can't take a hard punch anymore. Granted, he could take my best shot and still smile while he knocked me dead, but from a real striker, he's done. It happens. If he is going to continue to fight, and hope to win, he needs to fight wrestlers and ground guys that don't have knock out power.

Silva has two fights left, and neither of them are going to be at 205# I am afraid....

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 04:17 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post

LMAO!!

She will have the new female world belt come Saturday.

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 04:25 PM   #18

I agree with J.D. completely, but since we're technically in the realm of fantasy, if you could set Chuck up with a trainer, and set him in an unexpected direction in a fight with Silva, what could Chuck do to pull off a win?

Is there anything he could do?

The Couture Factor keeps me from writing anybody off in this sport.

Old 08-12-2009, 04:42 PM   #19

Quote:
I agree with J.D. completely, but since we're technically in the realm of fantasy, if you could set Chuck up with a trainer, and set him in an unexpected direction in a fight with Silva, what could Chuck do to pull off a win?

Is there anything he could do?

The Couture Factor keeps me from writing anybody off in this sport.
Couture is a genetic freak. He also is a MAJOR health food nut who won't eat, or drink, anything that has glutin, and about 6 other things. He rarely if ever drinks. He doesn't party.

Liddel has been living the Rockstar life for the better part of a decade. His body has gone through A LOT.

Now, to beat someone like Anderson Silva, which is what this comes down to as a question, you have to do the following:

1) Train like there is no tomorrow with a TOP NOTCH camp like Greg Jackson's Camp for your strategy and conditioning. They are the best in the game.

2) You have get your stand up from someplace like ATT. I mean, really hard core, Chute Box, go all out in every sparring session to the point were people are knocking each out in practice type of sparring.

3) You have to have some good ground skills. Anderson has a black belt under Minatauro, so he is no joke. Damien Maia has the best BJJ that I have seen transfer to the ring, and he has a school, so training with him could be an option. Jorge Gurjel is supposed to be the top BJJ guy in the US, and his fighters are very good on the ground as well, so there is another option.

4) And this no one has considered yet. You need to have some above basic Judo. Anderson loves to fight in the clinch, in tight and punish you with knees. If you have some Judo, you can use that energy and throw him to the ground where you could be on top, and perhaps, gain an advantageous position.

5) Keep your damn mouth shut. Don't talk any crap. Don't have your camp talk any crap. Tell everyone that you are going there for a payday and that Anderson is the best in the game. Don't give him anything to focus on. Forrest's BJJ coach, Robert Drysdale, REALLY pissed Anderson Silva off about 3 weeks before the fight saying that Forrest's ground game was better than Anderson's. That got him amped up and really got him focused on the fight. Chris Leben did the same thing, saying he didn't think Anderson should be getting in the ring with him in his first fight in the UFC. WTF?! When this man gets upset, people get hurt. I would want him bored to tears with the thought of fighting my guy. If he came to the ring AWAKE that would be too amped up in my taste....

Outside of that?? A good chin, don't chase him, make him come to you, excellent cardio and be patient. That, and a REALLY, REALLY expensive Rabbit's Foot in your corner....

JD

Old 08-12-2009, 08:15 PM   #20

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

See that disrespect of Mark Coleman. He is the founder of Ground and Pound. Also too old and cant(shouldnt) take a punch.