I take the ASVAB on Tuesday and I need advice.
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I take the ASVAB on Tuesday and I need advice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-14-2010, 02:18 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I take the ASVAB on Tuesday and I need advice.

As the title says, I am going to take the ASVAB here real soon.
Now I have never taken the ASVAB before, but I have taken the ACT. Personally, I hate the ACT. That time restraint is way to restricting and my style of taking tests is drawing it out and looking at the problem from multiple angles. I got a 16 on the ACT and 3 years ago I scored the highest grade possible grade (freshman college) on the Iowa (a test where I had more time).
So as long as I have a lot of time I am not worried.

Anyways, what should I expect? ie the time limit, what are the sections, do I do several sections tested seperately like the ACT, what is the dictulty, what is the most underestimated thing, what should I study and what else is good to know?

If anyone is curious about my plans.....
I wanted to become a Marine like my father, but the Navy offers medical. So I will probably join the Navy because I want that medical experience on my record.
My best friend will also be going in with me.

I wish to go ahead and thank everyone. You all have helped me out so much already, and I trust you will help me once again. This is probably one of or the best community on the Internet. thanks....

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-14-2010, 02:25 AM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

dont sweat it. A VD ridden one eyed cat could pass the ASVAB. It is all logic, mechanical reasoning, basic language and math skills you learned in grade school.
Good luck and dont worry about it.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:32 AM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Mechanical skills? Like what?

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

Old 06-14-2010, 02:52 AM   #4
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 464 Times on 254 Posts

Here is some samples for you. Your recruiter should have gone over this stuff with you to get you prepared.

Old 06-14-2010, 02:55 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Thanks and God bless you for your devotion to our Country and our military.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 06-14-2010, 03:13 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I was worried when I took it too. Afterwards the recruiter told me how well I did. There's nothing at all to worry about unless you never entered a highschool.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:22 AM   #7

I took it about 4 or 5 years ago...like everyone has already said, it's simple. general knowledge kinda stuff. The people in my class that didn't do so well probably would have had a problem just spelling out some of the words you wrote into this thread, so don't sweat it. You'll do good.

Old 06-14-2010, 03:55 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Here is some samples for you. Your recruiter should have gone over this stuff with you to get you prepared.
I recieved nothing and was not told anything accept for a date.

While I am no longer *worried* about the test, I still need to be at least respectful of it. Over confidence is a sneaky and deadly foe.

Old 06-14-2010, 04:11 AM   #9

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Dont sweat the test. Although the math and office skills crap weren't my forte i blew the electrical and mechanical away, 99 and 99. When the Marines saw my score they tried to pry me away from the Air Force. They weren't successful. Thanks for wanting to serve and do what a large percentage of the country don't have the nuts to do. No offense intended for anyone in here that didn't serve, it just takes alot of balls to step through the door and take the oath.
It takes even more to believe in the code of conduct, Article one says "I am a soldier fighting in the forces which guard our country and our way of life, I am prepared to give my life in their defense.".

I wish you the best of luck in you enlistment.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 06-14-2010, 11:39 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8825 Times on 3820 Posts
Likes Given: 1364

The key to doing well is R T F P.

READ The Freakin' Problem! I mean READ it- THEN answer the question!

As a multiple guess exam with one of 4 answers being right, playing eeny-meanie-minie should be 25% of them right- but I have seen people with a score of less than 10. Simply put, they could not read, could not count to higher than 10 with their hands out of their pockets, etc.

Do not read too much into the question- A chisel is used for- well, it COULD be used for prying. Yeah- and it can be used to swat flies. Read it- then answer.

At the ripe old age of 21, after serving 4 years, and having been a mech company commander, I was given the opportunity to retake my general battery of tests. I recall one question, regarding how I would feel about using a bayonet in combat. Hmm- lemme see now- the TOWs engaged at 3000 meters, the 50's at 2000 yards, the M-60s at 1100 meters- I would feel I have used some REALLY bad judgement to allow them to get in bayonet range!

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.