I quit drinking last week, now i'm tired all the time?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I quit drinking last week, now i'm tired all the time?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-25-2012, 09:49 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default I quit drinking last week, now i'm tired all the time?

Seemed like a more interesting idea to collect a variety of opinions, because googling for health questions (especially for a person with an anxiety disorder) is always a bad route for me to go.

Anyway, I totally didn't expect this. Maybe it'll go away after a few more weeks.

I was on average killing a 750ml of vodka or equivalent per week. Sometimes in a few days. for the last few years.

So yeah, this kind of withdrawal effect, apparently I had a problem.

Why didn't I think I had a problem? It didn't slow down my work or school, in fact I've been getting promotions and top grade earnings.. though I SUDDENLY realized I got 'suckier' and suckeir at my previously teaching-worthy piano skills, so that's why I stopped, for piano!

Now I'm scrambling to re-learn some Mozart and Beethoven classics. Tough with this lethargy.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-25-2012, 10:09 PM   #2

Liked 1489 Times on 901 Posts
Likes Given: 348

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fuzzy View Post
Seemed like a more interesting idea to collect a variety of opinions, because googling for health questions (especially for a person with an anxiety disorder) is always a bad route for me to go.

Anyway, I totally didn't expect this. Maybe it'll go away after a few more weeks.

I was on average killing a 750ml of vodka or equivalent per week. Sometimes in a few days. for the last few years.

So yeah, this kind of withdrawal effect, apparently I had a problem.

Why didn't I think I had a problem? It didn't slow down my work or school, in fact I've been getting promotions and top grade earnings.. though I SUDDENLY realized I got 'suckier' and suckeir at my previously teaching-worthy piano skills, so that's why I stopped, for piano!

Now I'm scrambling to re-learn some Mozart and Beethoven classics. Tough with this lethargy.
Good luck with that. I quit about 5 years ago, I missed it for a while, but my life has improved a great deal without it. You will get over the tiredness and will feel terrific.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 01-25-2012, 10:13 PM   #3

Liked 62 Times on 51 Posts

Regular exercise, if you don't already do it, will help greatly. Just EASE into it.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chainfire View Post
Good luck with that. I quit about 5 years ago, I missed it for a while, but my life has improved a great deal without it. You will get over the tiredness and will feel terrific.
Thanks man, wasn't sure what kinda replies I'd get since I'm still new-ish here.

Old 01-25-2012, 10:51 PM   #5

Liked 1000 Times on 598 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Im sure that these symptoms will be expected for a little while until your body is used to being alcohol free. alcoholism greatly effects everyone around you even though you may not notice it directly or think that you have a problem. My mother has been an alcoholic all of my life and it has greatly effected my mentality for women. My grandmother raised me all of my life because the alcohol was more important than i was to her, i still dont trust women to this day and it does effect my marriage at times.My wifes mother is also an alcoholic and she has just gotten her 2nd DUI and still drives intoxicated everwhere she goes. The main thing that ive noticed with alcoholism is that nobody thinks that they have a problem. My mother still denies having a drinking problem and will still deny everything that she has done to me throughout my life,and says that she was a great parent. My wifes mother will just laugh and make jokes about the embarassing behavior that she displays,throwing rolls in a restaraunt,making childish noises, being obnoxious at holiday dinners,etc.. i have a ton of respect for someone that knows that they drink way to much and has the will to stop,My hats off to you

Semper paratus.....virtute et armis

Old 01-25-2012, 11:06 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8966 Times on 3881 Posts
Likes Given: 1401

You were sucking down a lot of carbs in that vodka, which you are not getting now. Get some granola bars, kind with a bit of chcolate, see if that helps when you need a boost. Apples and pears also good.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:08 PM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

Hey Fuzzy good for you! You are on a good road, I commend you sir. When you get this thing licked I was wondering if you are going to change your username to, clear?

Good luck and keep us posted, you may be the inspiration for others on the forum.

PS When shoobe sees your post he will dial you in with a 37 step program or something.

NEVER FORGET

Last edited by downsouth; 01-25-2012 at 11:10 PM.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 588 Times on 378 Posts
Likes Given: 535

Quote:
Originally Posted by downsouth View Post
Good luck and keep us posted, you may be the inspiration for others on the forum.
Maybe there's hope for me yet. Youre gonna half ta follow through to convince my drunken ass though. No pressure.

JK . sincere applause from this corner.

"You can have it fast, cheap and accurate...pick any two."~Me

"Educate and Inform the whole mass of the people. Enable them to see that it is their interest to preserve peace and order, and they will preserve them." ~Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-25-2012, 11:34 PM   #9

Liked 9204 Times on 5058 Posts
Likes Given: 74

I quit drinking so much in 2008, now I might have a beer or 3 every other month.

I see no real benefits from it in my life. I'm not happier, I don't feel better, I've gained weight since then, I have much more issues with my anger problems, the PTSD affects me more... The only good thing that seems to have come from it is the money in my pocket, and my wife isn't botching about it (she found other stuff to botch about)

Not trying to discourage you, but I wish the wagon would hit a pot hole, bounce me off, and leave me in the dust with my beer.

Old 01-25-2012, 11:51 PM   #10

Liked 3735 Times on 1824 Posts
Likes Given: 13269

You should drink

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD