Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I need help with my military novel!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2011, 06:25 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

The best advice ever given new and young writers. Was given to me whence I was.

Read, read and read. Read everyting you can. Every genre. Don't ignore the classics and pay heed to styles, diction and what makes a good story teller a great story teller? When you have that all in place, read some more. Take every creative writing class you can and write daily. For some, a journal helps and they used to preach journal keeping for structure. To me, meh. Just write everyday. Did I mention read all you can? Look, the point is to get the creative juices going and always flowing. I don't know what writer's block is..

Oh, and never give up.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 01-19-2011, 11:56 AM   #12

Liked 41 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 41

The Govt. Decides to place him with his dads ex wife who has an adiction and an abusive husband and also a slightly older 1/2 bro and sis with radical liberal views. He takes it upon himself to reeducate them back into reality while liberating them from abuse and gang lifestyle.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill

Old 01-19-2011, 01:44 PM   #13

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

This type of story happens pretty often in anime (japanamation) and manga (Japanese comic books). If you want to see any of this as reference google a dubbed anime site that streams video. a lot of military and mecha anime have plots like this. Seems no one can save the world or at the least Tokyo unless they are 14 to 17 year olds. Often being female wearing standard Japanese school uniforms.

Here's a link Scroll to the bottom for genre

As for this being a novel I'm not too sure it'll work all that well. But nothing is impossible. I can't say I've seen it before in movies or books. Watching shows with my youngest has enlightened me to the two media sources I mention here.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 01-19-2011, 02:21 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

sounds like something fun to read if you take it in the right direction.

Maybe train him until he is 18 then they unleash him on the world. Make him a super genius then you have a few different ways to take it. He takes over the world or someone else takes over the world and the thwarts all his evil doings.

Old 01-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #15

Sorry for pissing in the punch,but i dont think the kid should stop fighting.He should escape and avoid the police,and back home in America,maybe he discovers some conspiracy and gets other black ops agents with him,they kill the bad guy,heroes,demand they stay with the armed forces as thats where his family is.

Please dont give up.Make it confusing to us,add some twists.

Springfield TRP
Mossberg 590
Krav Maga

Old 01-19-2011, 05:59 PM   #16

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davyboy View Post
PM Benning one of the most accomplished writers I have had the pleasure reading. A true quillmaster.
You are too kind. Thanks, Davy.

I won't crap on your story, it has potential.

If I were considering doing one of these, I'd roll with these elements. Bear in mind, this is my personal opinion, and again, not stated to detract from your premise. It's completely different, I merely offer it for you to take what, if any, points you find useful.

As D.J. pointed out, this has a long history in Japan. "Lone Wolf and Cub" is essentially such a story. There aren't too many ideas that haven't been done, the key is to put YOUR twist on it.

Go average. Everybody who relates past life experiences was Queen of Egypt or a dashing highwayman. Few were ever slaves, none were midwives, and the only stable boys were the ones who bedded the Queen.

Everybody would like to be Spec Ops, very few can. On the other hand, the average grunt can be related to, and he's been trained to kill in a variety of ways. Things come harder to him, he doesn't share the abilities of the Spec Ops guy. He's Joe Average, with a sinister ability.

Make the kid your age, and write about what you relate to.

Now imagine you didn't know your father.

Now imagine you come home one day, and a locker belonging to him has been delivered to the house.

Now imagine you research online, trying to connect to him, and you find out he's a POW.

You dive into the locker, and find what?

You decide to do what?

Do you lie to get enlisted, with the hope of being deployed to your dad's location?

Do you find dad's address book, with a list of his buddies? Do they have an axe to grind?

Start by writing what you know, develop the idea, and hit us up for what you're unsure of.

Good luck!

Old 01-19-2011, 06:14 PM   #17

Liked 1127 Times on 542 Posts
Likes Given: 1249

Default Told Ya

he was bloody good

Old 01-20-2011, 04:14 AM   #18

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts

Think of it this way......

The first "Death Wish" movie. It was raw as hell, because Bronson was Joe Anyman. He's a pacifist, he throws up the first time he kills a guy, he goes out with a wheel gun in a substandard caliber because that's what he has.

He gets better at it as he goes along, but gets shot and nearly bleeds out.

He's human.

By the third one, he's indestructible, packs an AutoMag in .44, and he loses everything that made the first one great.

Same with "First Blood".

Rambo is SF, but he's just trying to survive in a world foreign to him, and that world is home.

Yeah, he's a badazz, but a flawed one. In the original cut, he commits suicide. He's capable of having a tear squeezing, snot flowing meltdown.

He's human.

By the second one, he's indestructible, and loses everything that made him appealing.

Make your guys human.

Old 01-20-2011, 04:46 AM   #19

Liked 3731 Times on 1821 Posts
Likes Given: 13267

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benning Boy View Post
Go average. Everybody who relates past life experiences was Queen of Egypt or a dashing highwayman. Few were ever slaves, none were midwives, and the only stable boys were the ones who bedded the Queen.

Everybody would like to be Spec Ops, very few can. On the other hand, the average grunt can be related to, and he's been trained to kill in a variety of ways. Things come harder to him, he doesn't share the abilities of the Spec Ops guy. He's Joe Average, with a sinister ability.
That is some great advice and can lead to a very good main character and powerful story. Not everyone is born to be great but many prove to be great when the time comes. Also, who says the main character has to be a hero or even good? Everyone, and I mean everyone has flaws. Use those to your advantage, develop them and readers may empathize with the character. Or make the character so bad that people will loathe him/her/it but may continue to be fascinated.

Some of my favorite writers are Stephen Lawhead, Morgan Llewellyn, George RR Martin, Wiess/Hickman, early Salvatore and Jordan. Of course I have huge respect and have enjoyed the older masters ... Herbert, Tolkien and Lewis. All of these writers have something in common though, not only can they be immensely descriptive with their writing but they can develop characters that draw you into the story and keep you there.

You want to know how great Morgan Llewellyn is? Read the Lion of Ireland. Being Irish I knew the story, knew how history played out. Yet even at the very last page I found myself physically and emotionally rooting for triumph and balling my eyes out at the tragedy.

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

My AR15 Build - Range Report
My AR458SOCOM Build

Last edited by dog2000tj; 01-20-2011 at 05:39 AM.

Old 01-20-2011, 05:25 AM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 429 Times on 229 Posts

After he survives the Bombing, they rebuild him, with technology. They make him better than he was. Better...Stronger...Faster.

Then they use him to work for OSI as an agent...Nevermind, that's been done.