I must vent
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I must vent

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-08-2010, 11:10 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 26 Times on 7 Posts

Default I must vent

Many of the SM's know this but I live between GA and SC. I work in GA and my home is in SC so I must travel a 145 mile stretch of Interstate 95 very often. While I understand why folks from the Northeast would want to escape the cold and come South for the winter, I can't understand for the life of me why they can't drive like regular folks.

In this evening's trip, I passed at least 50 cars on the right - and each and every one of them had tags from the North. I was raised in the North so I know that they are taught how to drive just like us folks in the South - keep right except to pass. In any event, here are some tips for you:

1. If there's a vehicle (probably a truck) 3 inches from your back bumper and flashing their lights - look down at the speedometer and if you're not at least going the speed limit - pull over into the right lane.

2. If you have been passed on the right side by 243 cars in the past 10 minutes - look down at the speedometer and if you're not at least going the speed limit - pull over into the right lane. (Being flipped a bird is a good clue as well)

3. Stay in the right lane UNLESS you want to pass a vehicle going slower than you are (which is doubtful). If so, pull into the left lane, press on the gas to quickly overtake said slow moving vehicle, then move back into the right lane.

These are really pretty simple tips and they will make your driving experience (and ours) much more pleasant. If you can't follow these simple tips - STAY HOME.

Thanks for your attention - venting complete...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-08-2010, 11:22 PM   #2

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Couldn't agree more. It irritates the living hell out of me when people can't drive properly. Staying in the right lane is one pet peeve of mine.

The other is: Why can't anyone figure out a 4-way stop sign? Everyone seems to freeze up and forget the order in which to go. Then you get some moron that wants to "be polite" and wave you to go before him even though it's his turn and screws the process up.

Either way, people that violate traffic laws and etiquette are terrible and should burn in hell.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:36 PM   #3

Hello...

We have the very same issues here with our own "natives." Keep out of the left lane unless you're passing or traveling fast than the rest of us!

I love the drivers who put on that turn signal (in the right lane mind you) and NEVER move into the left lane.

Old 01-08-2010, 11:38 PM   #4

Liked 10 Times on 10 Posts

I regret to inform you that we up here tend to forget that we've done this a thousand times before.

At the first dusting, the stores are wiped of bread, milk, and toilet paper. And the more winters you've seen, the worse you are with that.

Nobody seems concerned that they have none of the other food groups. I guess a milk and s**tpaper sandwich must be the greatest.

I loathe seasoned winter folk who react like newbs.

Old 01-09-2010, 12:51 AM   #5

Seems simple to most of us, doesn't it?

Old 01-09-2010, 12:54 AM   #6

here when you get in slow moving traffic it will be a garbage truck holding up the left lane i always wonder if it is an emergency pickup
honolulu is only 23 miles from ewa beach where i live that takes an hour during the morning and afternoon commute unless there is a fender bender for everyone to slow down and look at then it gets rediculous

Old 01-09-2010, 12:55 AM   #7

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 11

Default I understand--BUT--

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
Many of the SM's know this but I live between GA and SC. I work in GA and my home is in SC so I must travel a 145 mile stretch of Interstate 95 very often. While I understand why folks from the Northeast would want to escape the cold and come South for the winter, I can't understand for the life of me why they can't drive like regular folks.

In this evening's trip, I passed at least 50 cars on the right - and each and every one of them had tags from the North. I was raised in the North so I know that they are taught how to drive just like us folks in the South - keep right except to pass. In any event, here are some tips for you:

1. If there's a vehicle (probably a truck) 3 inches from your back bumper and flashing their lights - look down at the speedometer and if you're not at least going the speed limit - pull over into the right lane.

2. If you have been passed on the right side by 243 cars in the past 10 minutes - look down at the speedometer and if you're not at least going the speed limit - pull over into the right lane. (Being flipped a bird is a good clue as well)

3. Stay in the right lane UNLESS you want to pass a vehicle going slower than you are (which is doubtful). If so, pull into the left lane, press on the gas to quickly overtake said slow moving vehicle, then move back into the right lane.

These are really pretty simple tips and they will make your driving experience (and ours) much more pleasant. If you can't follow these simple tips - STAY HOME.

Thanks for your attention - venting complete...
Your point is taken--BUT--On my common trips from Indiana to FLA. when I get to the FLA. state line-South bound-the majority of the left laners/lane cutters/idiot drivers have FLA plates..NOT plates from the North. Just my 2c worth........

Old 01-09-2010, 01:25 AM   #8

Hate to say it but idiots come from everywhere,and that there are some up here that follow the the keep right unless passing law and pass all the idiots on right.

This is one of my pet peeves as well and drives me bonkers,whats worse is when they speed up on you and block you into a slow moving car who is in the correct lane!

Old 01-09-2010, 02:53 AM   #9

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I hate when I'm in the left lane because I need to turn shortly. Then some jackbutt comes up on my bumber because he wants to go 65 instead of the posted 40, like they own the road. He thinks he's right because he wants to pass because he's going faster........woopty doo. How is his behavior even remotely safe?

On the I, stay right and let the faster vehicles(emergency vehicles) go by problem is everyone wants to be faster than the next. People need stripes on some of their vehicles.

People need to drive more courteously, period. Realize that alot of vehicles out there have kids in them. That's another thing! Ever see some idiot driving while their kids are romping all around inside the car?

Old 01-09-2010, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 63 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 1

My wife tells me I have potentially terminal road rage because I get pissed about this very same issue. Do they still teach in driving school that the left lane is meant primarily for passing slower drivers on the right? Doesn't seem like it.

What really pisses me off is when you right-pass someone going slower than the limit in the left "passing" lane....and it turns out the driver was just talking on the phone.