Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > The I miss thread.

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2013, 01:22 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
NC1760's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Nawth Cackalackee
Posts: 933
Liked 666 Times on 368 Posts
Likes Given: 1407

Default I miss...

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
i like it! thank you NC1760!
You're very welcome.
BTW... I miss Fess Parker too;
__________________
NC1760 is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:25 AM   #52
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,208
Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
Axxe,
Starlight in Ennis still shows on 4 or 5 screens...
Glad I brought my kids there to see for themselves. 2 hours away, so not a frequent trip...they fell asleep on the way home, of course!

I miss the 5 and dime...Woolworth, Ben Franklins...
I miss the Charles Chip man!
How about the Fuller Brush man....or the social environment that was conducive to those businesses!
Got a Wally World going up in site of my backyard...ugh!
if it's the one right there off Interstate 45, i know the one you're talking about. it would be about a 2 hour trip for us as well. we have talked about going several times but haven't yet.

it's one of the few drive-ins left in the state of Texas.
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:39 AM   #53
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
TruggieTex's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Rural Virginia
Posts: 1,271
Liked 883 Times on 540 Posts
Likes Given: 362

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55

if it's the one right there off Interstate 45, i know the one you're talking about. it would be about a 2 hour trip for us as well. we have talked about going several times but haven't yet.

it's one of the few drive-ins left in the state of Texas.
That's the one. Nice time! Saw a double and had a blast.
Same old experience; sloped parking, sound box, smell of cooking food from the concession stand, kid friendly...just like I remembered.

Was one called Cherokee I think it was, outside Tyler....NOT KID FRIENDLY!!
Closed years ago, but really made everything look HUGE!!
But I digress....
__________________

If It Were Easy, They Would Not Call It Work, And Everyone Would Do It

TruggieTex is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:54 AM   #54
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
kytowboater's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 6,990
Liked 2373 Times on 1482 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Default

There are two drive in movie theaters within 30 minute drive for me. I frequented them often as a teenager driving. It's been a while.

__________________

Oh dern....


Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

kytowboater is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:55 AM   #55
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
limbkiller's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: georgetown,ky
Posts: 1,288
Liked 903 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 637

Default

My youth, my father, and my youngest son who is working in Texas for now.

__________________

USMC 74-78

limbkiller is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:17 AM   #56
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,208
Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruggieTex View Post
That's the one. Nice time! Saw a double and had a blast.
Same old experience; sloped parking, sound box, smell of cooking food from the concession stand, kid friendly...just like I remembered.

Was one called Cherokee I think it was, outside Tyler....NOT KID FRIENDLY!!
Closed years ago, but really made everything look HUGE!!
But I digress....
i want to go and check it out sometime. i wonder if they have website that tells what they are showing?

the one you're thinking of is the Apache. definately NOT kid friendly for sure! have heard stories about the place. glad it's closed down!
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:32 AM   #57
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Posts: 98
Liked 12 Times on 9 Posts

Default

I miss sitting on store porch drinking an RC and eating a moon pie all for 10 cents and watching drive in movies sitting in a pasture in the cow patties over looking the drive in, thats where I saw Sean Connery in Gold Finger. Got me wanting to be a spy!

__________________
hkhunter is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:40 AM   #58
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Rick1967's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Clifton,Colorado
Posts: 4,079
Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

Default

I miss my best friend Joey. Were we really close in high school. When I was 18 I became homeless and lost touch with him. I tracked him down on facebook about a year ago. (27 years later) He actually had a web page up dedicated to finding me and another mutual friend. But when we made contact again I found that while my life had become incredibly successful his had fallen apart.

__________________

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Rick1967 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 02:46 AM   #59
Table of Warriors prospect
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MisterMcCool's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Bumfugg, Egypt
Posts: 7,881
Liked 6627 Times on 3622 Posts
Likes Given: 12989

Default

When my parents took me to the drive-in, there was a speaker that hung on the window and the concession stand sold mosquito repellent coils that looked like the eye of a stove and burned like incense. Mom would light it and let one of us kids blow it out. The glowing ember was the only light in the car. Well, that and Mom's cigarette. Back then, we never even gave a thought to sitting for two hours in a car breathing menthol cigarette smoke and whatever insecticide smog. I survived and have some really good memories of it. I heard the last remaining drive-ins broadcast audio to your car stereo so you don't have to leave your windows cracked. That is just sad.

__________________

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

MisterMcCool is offline  
axxe55 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 03:20 AM   #60
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Axxe55's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Deep East Texas Pineywoods!
Posts: 28,208
Liked 20921 Times on 11885 Posts
Likes Given: 52455

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
When my parents took me to the drive-in, there was a speaker that hung on the window and the concession stand sold mosquito repellent coils that looked like the eye of a stove and burned like incense. Mom would light it and let one of us kids blow it out. The glowing ember was the only light in the car. Well, that and Mom's cigarette. Back then, we never even gave a thought to sitting for two hours in a car breathing menthol cigarette smoke and whatever insecticide smog. I survived and have some really good memories of it. I heard the last remaining drive-ins broadcast audio to your car stereo so you don't have to leave your windows cracked. That is just sad.
here's one to bring back some memories for those who remember these!

i found this one at a yard sale about 15 years ago. the speaker was rotten and the volume knob frozen. i gutted it, bead blasted it and repainted it. at some point i will find a new speaker for it and a volume control knob and use it for something. right now it resides on my desk as a reminder of my youth.
drive-speaker-004.jpg  
__________________
Coming from the Village of the Damned.
To the victor, go the spoils of war.
Axxe55 is offline  
MisterMcCool Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
did i miss something? mountainman13 Politics, Religion and Controversy 34 07-10-2012 08:42 PM
What would you miss? Jesse17 Survival & Sustenance Living Forum 20 05-29-2011 05:30 AM
I'll miss Olbermann just like I'd miss projectile diarrhea canebrake Politics, Religion and Controversy 21 01-25-2011 03:50 AM
Did I miss something? BILLYBOB44 The Club House 4 03-06-2009 01:57 PM