Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 10:53 PM   #31
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 463 Times on 254 Posts

Forget the Osprey, work on these bad boys. MOS 61XX, the Rotary wing rating.

ch53e-40-070920-38cr-16.jpg  

Old 03-12-2010, 11:26 PM   #32

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I was in aviation Ordanance, ended up working on these, no guns, no bombs, no missles, just chaff and flares! NOT what I was looking to do.

ea-6b-prowler-293_preview.jpg  

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2010, 11:34 PM   #33

Liked 1766 Times on 985 Posts
Likes Given: 1161

I was Army. But, I have respect for all of the Branches. Serve with pride. Do the best you can to get in shape. But if you are not Mr. Universe when you get there, don't worry about it. They will help you. Drill Instructors are tuff. But they want to make sure you are prepared for the worst. I have never met a Drill Instructor that would not put his own live on the line to protect the men around him. Movies give them a bad rap. Just give them the respect they are due. You will be fine.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 03-12-2010, 11:44 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
Some of you may know that I had some family bumps about a month back, well, I am glad to say that they all got sorted out.
When I graduate high school I will join the Corps. I can't join now because I am home schooled and lack a high school diploma. I need Algebra 2 and Chemistry before I can graduate. I am freshman college level on every other subject.
Kinda weird that I am going to high school to just get two classes.

Anyways, I have made my decision to serve in the military like my father before me as he made the same decision to serve like his father before him.
Right now I lack the diploma and physical ability to join, but all things change with time. Because I have been home schooled and I live in a sort of suburb I had nothing to challenge me physically. So I have started working out.
In late January I could do 5 push ups, 40 crunches, run 1/2 a mile and curl 20 lbs and no chin ups.
I can now do 20 push ups, 80 crunches, run 1 1/2 miles and curl 30 lbs and half a chin up.
My goal is 150 push ups, 230 crunches, run 8 miles and curl 50 lbs and 12 chin ups. I have a year to do it.

The saddest part is my friends really think I am starting to do good right now when I feel as if it is a disgrace. It is sad how physically unfit this nation is.

lol, I was all pumped about joining last week and then I watched full metal jacket and realized that I looked a lil like Private Pile. Even a friend pointed that out. So it made me think a lil, but I am still not scared. I watched about 2 hours or so of footage showing drill instructors, then I got scared. Those dudes are the meanest sons of bitches I have ever seen. I thought my dad was bad at times but these guys make him look like a ***** cat. Just one quick question.... where do they get all of that air? Are their lungs bigger than normal peoples or something?
Anyways, I came to realize that they are harsh so that you will learn, and learn well.
I know a Marine that has recently served and I asked him what it is like. He said that it sucks to sit around in the middle of ****ing no where all of the time, but he met some nice people. I think he was a guard, like at a check point or something. He also said they have some crazy ass spiders over there. When I requested more information he said he didn't want to ruin the surprise. So I am curious about that.

Anyways, is there anything else I should know? I want to be as mentally and physically prepared as possible.
My hat is off to you for your support of our country, your convictions and dedication to freedom. I solute you.

Old 03-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #35

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
MOS is Military Occupational specialty, that is the job you choose to TRAIN for, no garantees you will pass the school. Whatever you decide to do, try to learn the fundamentals beforehand, for example, aviation electronics, get some books on electrical and electronics (basic stuff, ohms law how to calculate amperages and stuff like that) just so you have a clue what you have to learn.
I went to PI at the end of Oct of '80, yes the bugs were still hungry, I think the DI's give them jackets or something! If I remember correctly, the day starts @ 5:00am and ends @ 9:00 pm,usually, ya just NEVER know!! Days are FILLED with PT, classroom, and other training, dont forget the mind games that are designed to find your BREAKING POINT. Dont let me scare you or anything, thats not my intent, just go into it with determination to outdo YOURSELF everyday. PI is (obviously) survivable Oh yeah, find out what "mountain climbers" are, and do 'em!
Well I knew I was gonna be wakin up early anyways.
I hate it though.... my schedule is rather..... different. I wake up at about 10 am and go to sleep at about 1 or 2 am.

I HATE mountain climbers. They are the bane of.... people.
They are super easy at first.... but suck really bad really soon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shihan View Post
Forget the Osprey, work on these bad boys. MOS 61XX, the Rotary wing rating.
I thought about those too. I like the Osprey because it is different.
Those are pretty sweet though. I will have trouble not thinking I am working on a Deceptacon though. lol
I might work on those. It has things that go boom, the Osprey doesn't.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmith3351 View Post
My hat is off to you for your support of our country, your convictions and dedication to freedom. I solute you.
thank you

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-13-2010, 04:02 AM   #36

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:

I thought about those too. I like the Osprey because it is different.
Those are pretty sweet though. I will have trouble not thinking I am working on a Deceptacon though. lol
I might work on those. It has things that go boom, the Osprey doesn't.

thank you
Hey, go for the Osprey. The Marines went through all the trouble of finding all the kinks in the system and suffered all the crew losses in crashes.. Now that they're less likely to go belly up, the Air Force has started getting them.

Not to mention that they sound "cool" when they fly over......

Old 03-13-2010, 06:01 AM   #37

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
I was in aviation Ordanance, ended up working on these, no guns, no bombs, no missles, just chaff and flares! NOT what I was looking to do.
hey its the EA6 cable cutter. I was an F-15 Crew Chief in the Air Force.

I know i used this photo as a quote to burn on the aircraft but im here to say go for it. Serving was the best thing i ever did and i dream about it almost every night. Make the most of it and learn from the yelling and the pushing, if learning were made easy and fluffy we would never win a damn thing. Congrats on your descision to step up and be more man than most of your friends will become.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 03-13-2010, 07:24 AM   #38

Quote:
Some of you may know that I had some family bumps about a month back, well, I am glad to say that they all got sorted out.
When I graduate high school I will join the Corps. I can't join now because I am home schooled and lack a high school diploma. I need Algebra 2 and Chemistry before I can graduate. I am freshman college level on every other subject.
Kinda weird that I am going to high school to just get two classes.

Anyways, I have made my decision to serve in the military like my father before me as he made the same decision to serve like his father before him.
Right now I lack the diploma and physical ability to join, but all things change with time. Because I have been home schooled and I live in a sort of suburb I had nothing to challenge me physically. So I have started working out.
In late January I could do 5 push ups, 40 crunches, run 1/2 a mile and curl 20 lbs and no chin ups.
I can now do 20 push ups, 80 crunches, run 1 1/2 miles and curl 30 lbs and half a chin up.
My goal is 150 push ups, 230 crunches, run 8 miles and curl 50 lbs and 12 chin ups. I have a year to do it.

The saddest part is my friends really think I am starting to do good right now when I feel as if it is a disgrace. It is sad how physically unfit this nation is.

lol, I was all pumped about joining last week and then I watched full metal jacket and realized that I looked a lil like Private Pile. Even a friend pointed that out. So it made me think a lil, but I am still not scared. I watched about 2 hours or so of footage showing drill instructors, then I got scared. Those dudes are the meanest sons of bitches I have ever seen. I thought my dad was bad at times but these guys make him look like a ***** cat. Just one quick question.... where do they get all of that air? Are their lungs bigger than normal peoples or something?
Anyways, I came to realize that they are harsh so that you will learn, and learn well.
I know a Marine that has recently served and I asked him what it is like. He said that it sucks to sit around in the middle of ****ing no where all of the time, but he met some nice people. I think he was a guard, like at a check point or something. He also said they have some crazy ass spiders over there. When I requested more information he said he didn't want to ruin the surprise. So I am curious about that.

Anyways, is there anything else I should know? I want to be as mentally and physically prepared as possible.
Life is an adventure, and there is always something else to learn.

Right now, you deserve

(((((((((((((((((((((((APPLAUSE))))))))))))))))))) ))