I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-12-2010, 02:19 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Excelent choice, dont worry about PI, it's a breeze!! Don't forget your suntan lotion!! Really, I mean it, good choice. My advice, run,run,run,pull-ups,pull-ups,pull-ups. Keep your ears open and your mouth shut unless told to speak and when you do, SOUND OFF!! The PI experience will teach you things about yourself you may not learn anywhere else. Under NO and I mean NO circumstances do you quit trying, no matter how hard it gets. Definition of dicipline: The ability to obey a direct order without question or hesitation. GOOD LUCK, and DO NOT SCRATCH AT THE SAND FLEAS!!! Oh and one of the most important things to remember, every day is another opportunity to do better than the day before. Enjoy yourself. Semper FI.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2010, 03:15 AM   #22

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
When I graduate high school I will join the Corps.
ERRRRRR!

HOORAH on your choice of joining the Corps. So what are you considering for your MOS?
What does hoorah mean anyways? I know that the Army uses Hooah and the Navy uses something like Hooyah, but what does it all mean?

I want to work on these bad boys: MV-22 Osprey - Marine Corps
If I can't get into that then I guess I will do what I am told to do.

@pandamonium
Thank you for your words of wisdom. I thank all of you for guidance. Now it is up to me to make the most of it. -_-

BTW, my father mentioned these rabid lil insect buggers. He said that I would be f*ckin out of my mind to join in the summer. He suggests going in around December. He said that this was something that his DI said: "You ate and now it is time to feed my send fleas!" He made them do push ups... and get ate up. I guess that teaches you to ignore outside annoyances and focus on the tack at hand. Owell, that ability is useful.

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-12-2010, 04:12 AM   #23

Liked 5012 Times on 2430 Posts
Likes Given: 1601

Default Shell Casings...MMM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
First off, I tip my hat with respect !

On behalf of many Americans, Thank You..

And most of all, Hot shell casings make great handwarmers during night fire drills. CS Gas is wonderful to wake up to in your tent, 10 miles gets shorter the 3rd time and that overweight woman putting slop on you food tray every day will look hot after no coochie after 6 weeks..

Congrat's !!
Forgot about the hot shell casing, and that warm rifle barrel after the night fire's...
The simple pleasures...

Old 03-12-2010, 12:27 PM   #24

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post

@Acid
holy ****, it would suck to have a DI as a parent. No offense, I am sure he is a good guy. How did he wake you guys up?
I learned early to wake up to an alarm clock. My Father was usually at the squad bay long before I got up to go to school. At Parris Island, he was in charge of the "fat man's" platoon. Not P.C. but in 1959, the Corps didn't give a s**t.

Just remember this simple thing. Don't speak unless spoken to by the D.I. AND the First and Last thing out of your mouth is "SIR!" That got me in trouble when I went into the Army in 1975. I got the usual NCO response to that....

"Don't call me Sir! I WORK for my money!"

Old 03-12-2010, 01:33 PM   #25

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Yeah, you can NEVER forget the sandfleas!I remember my hands and everything from my collar up being fire-engine red from them buggers! A fellow recruit tried to scratch them in formation, the drill instructor saw him with the eyes in the back of his head and at chow every time that recruit tried to take a bite of food the DI would smack him in the head saying "your not gonna let my bug eat? I'm not gonna let you eat! " Like I said earlier it's all about disipline, your given an order to not move,you dont move,period. Still it's an awsome time,Good Luck!

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-12-2010, 03:05 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
I learned early to wake up to an alarm clock. My Father was usually at the squad bay long before I got up to go to school. At Parris Island, he was in charge of the "fat man's" platoon. Not P.C. but in 1959, the Corps didn't give a s**t.

Just remember this simple thing. Don't speak unless spoken to by the D.I. AND the First and Last thing out of your mouth is "SIR!" That got me in trouble when I went into the Army in 1975. I got the usual NCO response to that....

"Don't call me Sir! I WORK for my money!"
Okay, that is a good pointer. Begin and end with sir... that way you wont get balled out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
Yeah, you can NEVER forget the sandfleas!I remember my hands and everything from my collar up being fire-engine red from them buggers! A fellow recruit tried to scratch them in formation, the drill instructor saw him with the eyes in the back of his head and at chow every time that recruit tried to take a bite of food the DI would smack him in the head saying "your not gonna let my bug eat? I'm not gonna let you eat! " Like I said earlier it's all about disipline, your given an order to not move,you dont move,period. Still it's an awsome time,Good Luck!
Yikes, I guess I batter get used to not scratching at the bugs around here so it will be a normal reaction there.
I would run out of fingers and toes if I were to count off people that I know that couldn't handle the corps.

So, what is a normal day in boot camp? What time do you wake up, what do you do, how long do you do em and about what time do you go to bed?

Also, what makes you flunk out of boot?

Old 03-12-2010, 05:50 PM   #27

Likes Given: 2

Good luck on your decision. No matter what anyone tells you about the service and boot camp, you will come back and say we didn't tell you sh*t! But the guys already hit on your most important rules: Eye's forward, and don't do ANYTHING unless you are told. Those two things and motivation should get you through basic. You will learn at some point that everything comes down to motivation. If you are motivated you will find a way. And again: Good luck and God bless!

Old 03-12-2010, 07:36 PM   #28

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

No sand fleas during winter, complete BS. Before I went to boot camp from July to October 02, I went on a three to four day trip to Parris Island in December with the delayed entry program. It was sort of a pre-boot program ran by DI's in between cycles. I made the mistake of bringing shorts. Every inch of white flesh from ankles to knees was completely covered with red bumps. HORRIBLE! Another piece of advice, GO BALLS OUT 100% of the time. I stayed hidden in boot, slacked a little bit from time to time, especially during sounding out. After you graduate you dont want to look back and think "I could have done better." The easiest way to get through it is not to think only three months left, or month by month, or week by week, or day by day. The easiest way to get through boot camp is chow by chow. Go as hard as you can for five hours then you get to relax during lunch, go all out again for 5 hours then relax for dinner, then 2-4 more hard hours then you can relax in the rack.

My suggestion for picking an MOS is find either something you love, or find an MOS that you can get training in to get the highest paying job possible when you EAS, or go through the greatest MOS- infantry. I was a pogue and got screwed by my recruiter, but it turned out all right.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 03-12-2010, 09:24 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by michigan0626 View Post
No sand fleas during winter, complete BS. Before I went to boot camp from July to October 02, I went on a three to four day trip to Parris Island in December with the delayed entry program. It was sort of a pre-boot program ran by DI's in between cycles. I made the mistake of bringing shorts. Every inch of white flesh from ankles to knees was completely covered with red bumps. HORRIBLE! Another piece of advice, GO BALLS OUT 100% of the time. I stayed hidden in boot, slacked a little bit from time to time, especially during sounding out. After you graduate you dont want to look back and think "I could have done better." The easiest way to get through it is not to think only three months left, or month by month, or week by week, or day by day. The easiest way to get through boot camp is chow by chow. Go as hard as you can for five hours then you get to relax during lunch, go all out again for 5 hours then relax for dinner, then 2-4 more hard hours then you can relax in the rack.

My suggestion for picking an MOS is find either something you love, or find an MOS that you can get training in to get the highest paying job possible when you EAS, or go through the greatest MOS- infantry. I was a pogue and got screwed by my recruiter, but it turned out all right.
Uh... what does MOS mean?
I don't trust recruiters. It's their shifty eyes, and eyes are the window to the soul. That and they talk to smooth.

Old 03-12-2010, 10:37 PM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

MOS is Military Occupational specialty, that is the job you choose to TRAIN for, no garantees you will pass the school. Whatever you decide to do, try to learn the fundamentals beforehand, for example, aviation electronics, get some books on electrical and electronics (basic stuff, ohms law how to calculate amperages and stuff like that) just so you have a clue what you have to learn.
I went to PI at the end of Oct of '80, yes the bugs were still hungry, I think the DI's give them jackets or something! If I remember correctly, the day starts @ 5:00am and ends @ 9:00 pm,usually, ya just NEVER know!! Days are FILLED with PT, classroom, and other training, dont forget the mind games that are designed to find your BREAKING POINT. Dont let me scare you or anything, thats not my intent, just go into it with determination to outdo YOURSELF everyday. PI is (obviously) survivable Oh yeah, find out what "mountain climbers" are, and do 'em!