I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2010, 05:18 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1932 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Any body here say grunt

Congratulations. Don't worry about the D I'S. I know One Of them. In high school he was just like you. People today call them nerds. The Marine Corp changed that. I hope you find what your looking for. Advice, Like I told my son when he joined. You do every thing they tell you and YOU NEVER QUIT. Good Luck AND God Bless. Wills in da Swamp in La. One Shot One Kill...... Greater love hath no man than this, that a man lay down his life for his friends. J.C.

Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 261 Times on 147 Posts
Likes Given: 543

I was Air Force Security Forces for 4 years, and those were some of the best times i had! Just keep your head up, and stay dedicated to what you want, and you will find you can go very far and acomplish things you thought you could never do. Much of basic is mental, its them training you and perparing you to do a very important job. Just keep you nose to the grind stone and remember why you are doing what you are doing,remember to always serve with pride and that you represent something that carrys much honor and privlage. Good luck and GOD bless.
"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government."
--George Washington

Old 03-11-2010, 05:32 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by yesicarry View Post
First off, I tip my hat with respect !

On behalf of many Americans, Thank You..

And most of all, Hot shell casings make great handwarmers during night fire drills. CS Gas is wonderful to wake up to in your tent, 10 miles gets shorter the 3rd time and that overweight woman putting slop on you food tray every day will look hot after no coochie after 6 weeks..

Congrat's !!
Ah ****, they flood your tent with gas?
Boot camp sounds more like hell on earth rather than a training facility.
Oh well, at least you can't... get killed there. You can out in the field.
The way I look at it is this: If God still has a purpose for me then I will live. If I have already fulfilled my purpose then I am of no use.
So just keep thinking that you have not fulfilled your purpose yet.

@willshoum So I guess that makes me a nerd. :P

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Old 03-11-2010, 11:42 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 55 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by saviorslegacy View Post
Ah ****, they flood your tent with gas?
Boot camp sounds more like hell on earth rather than a training facility.
Oh well, at least you can't... get killed there. You can out in the field.
The way I look at it is this: If God still has a purpose for me then I will live. If I have already fulfilled my purpose then I am of no use.
So just keep thinking that you have not fulfilled your purpose yet.

@willshoum So I guess that makes me a nerd. :P
Nah man, Parris Island is a wonderful place to visit!! After you've made it thru the hell that is the armpit of the world. You can do it, keep working and you'll be fine. Sounds like your friends and family are supporting you which you'll need to get thru. Letters are your friend.
Have you talked to any recruiters yet?

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 03-11-2010, 01:30 PM   #15

Liked 31 Times on 25 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default Marine brat says....

Ignore all the friends deriding your decision. You are the one deciding to join the Marine Corps and you are the one who wants to do this.

Don't worry about the D.I.s. My Father spent 30 years in the Marine Corps and was a D.I. on both coasts (Parris Island, South Carolina and MCRD, San Diego). They'll yell, scream, rant, rave, generally throw temper tantrums and still you'll feel like you're not succeeding. As long as they don't cram your your civvies in your face and tell you to get the Hell out, you're succeeding.

Semper Fi

Old 03-11-2010, 02:10 PM   #16

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Yes I have talked to a recruiter. Funny story, the dude called when I was gving blood.

@Acid
holy ****, it would suck to have a DI as a parent. No offense, I am sure he is a good guy. How did he wake you guys up?

The insergeants say, numquam fidellis.

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 03-11-2010 at 02:17 PM.

Old 03-11-2010, 02:42 PM   #17

don't worry about any of your "friends" I know at your age it seems like they are important but I talk to ONE person I've known since that age. She has been my best friend since 3rd grade. And she's a Marine. Everyone else who doubts you can chuck it.

Find a great running program and stick to it, that will do more than anything else if you're *soft*.

Old 03-11-2010, 07:09 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

One of my nephews graduated high school a couple of years ago with a good buddy who was a nice guy but lacked family support and direction. The buddy is now a Marine somewhere on a ship. As far as your "private Pyle" condition, this kid was always a big kid with a good bit of lard, to the point where his knees were starting to give him trouble; after basic training, he doesn't have that problem any more. Honestly, had he not been standing next to my nephew, i probably would not have recognized him after basic. He did comment that he wished he had started a running program MUCH earlier before going to basic. He mentioned something about a diet they had him on until his physical condition was less flabby. The biggest differences were his newfound lack of lard and a more confident look on his face & shoulders.

I wish you the very best of luck in your endevour.

Military service isn't for everyone, but i'd wager most of the unsuitables will be weeded out in basic.

Old 03-12-2010, 01:14 AM   #19

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

[QUOTE=saviorslegacy;245337]When I graduate high school I will join the Corps.[/QUOTE]

ERRRRRR!

HOORAH on your choice of joining the Corps. So what are you considering for your MOS?

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945

Old 03-12-2010, 01:19 AM   #20

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Side note, my biggest regret in the Marines was that I did not go into Embassy Duty while I was in Okinawa as a Lance Corporal.

"The Marines I have seen around the world have, the cleanest bodies, the filthiest minds, the highest morale, and the lowest morals of any group of animals I have ever seen. Thank God for the United States Marine Corps." Eleanor Roosevelt, 1945