I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2010, 11:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default I have made my choice, come 2011, I will become a Marine

Some of you may know that I had some family bumps about a month back, well, I am glad to say that they all got sorted out.
When I graduate high school I will join the Corps. I can't join now because I am home schooled and lack a high school diploma. I need Algebra 2 and Chemistry before I can graduate. I am freshman college level on every other subject.
Kinda weird that I am going to high school to just get two classes.

Anyways, I have made my decision to serve in the military like my father before me as he made the same decision to serve like his father before him.
Right now I lack the diploma and physical ability to join, but all things change with time. Because I have been home schooled and I live in a sort of suburb I had nothing to challenge me physically. So I have started working out.
In late January I could do 5 push ups, 40 crunches, run 1/2 a mile and curl 20 lbs and no chin ups.
I can now do 20 push ups, 80 crunches, run 1 1/2 miles and curl 30 lbs and half a chin up.
My goal is 150 push ups, 230 crunches, run 8 miles and curl 50 lbs and 12 chin ups. I have a year to do it.

The saddest part is my friends really think I am starting to do good right now when I feel as if it is a disgrace. It is sad how physically unfit this nation is.

lol, I was all pumped about joining last week and then I watched full metal jacket and realized that I looked a lil like Private Pile. Even a friend pointed that out. So it made me think a lil, but I am still not scared. I watched about 2 hours or so of footage showing drill instructors, then I got scared. Those dudes are the meanest sons of bitches I have ever seen. I thought my dad was bad at times but these guys make him look like a ***** cat. Just one quick question.... where do they get all of that air? Are their lungs bigger than normal peoples or something?
Anyways, I came to realize that they are harsh so that you will learn, and learn well.
I know a Marine that has recently served and I asked him what it is like. He said that it sucks to sit around in the middle of ****ing no where all of the time, but he met some nice people. I think he was a guard, like at a check point or something. He also said they have some crazy ass spiders over there. When I requested more information he said he didn't want to ruin the surprise. So I am curious about that.

Anyways, is there anything else I should know? I want to be as mentally and physically prepared as possible.

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 03-11-2010 at 04:57 AM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-10-2010, 11:47 PM   #2

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Keep your head up, get your ass in shape and serve with pride!!

My son served as a Marine! Changed him for life, for the better!!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 03-10-2010, 11:49 PM   #3

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Best thing I ever saw in my life was at BMT when we were at CATM (yes, the Air Force does fire weapons occasionally).

One guy durin' the class acted kinda big (or as big as a trainee can act) 'cause he said he's shot all sorts of different weapons and what not and wasn't worried about the qual.

Sitting a table across was this chick who looked like she'd never even seen a gun in her life.

One of those two walked away without qualing, and the other one got marksman. Care to guess which one?

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory

Old 03-10-2010, 11:52 PM   #4

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

If that's what you want to do, everyone here will support you, respect you, and thank you!

Old 03-11-2010, 12:08 AM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Best thing I ever saw in my life was at BMT when we were at CATM (yes, the Air Force does fire weapons occasionally).

One guy durin' the class acted kinda big (or as big as a trainee can act) 'cause he said he's shot all sorts of different weapons and what not and wasn't worried about the qual.

Sitting a table across was this chick who looked like she'd never even seen a gun in her life.

One of those two walked away without qualing, and the other one got marksman. Care to guess which one?
the humble one
Something tells me that if that guy could shoot as he was talking he should have passed. Can you say, "stretching the story?"

"This is my rifle, this is my gun." "This is for fighting, this is for fun." -Full Metal Jacket

"I joined the Navy to drink in foreign countries and fornicate." -unknown

Last edited by saviorslegacy; 03-11-2010 at 12:14 AM.

Old 03-11-2010, 03:37 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 5

This has to be my favorite thread of all time here. Legacy, you'll find out in short order that there is nothing you can't do. You have all you need: The commitment to see it through.
Life really is that simple. Balls= Blue Chips. YOU write the score card. Qualification is the lowest level of competency in any endeavor.

It isn't really an effort when you realize the pay-off, though. It's a mission. It's the new X-Box, but with running shoes and straps for the really heavy dumbells. It's starting the finishing kick a hundred yards farther away from the finish line every couple of weeks. It's all about seeing progress and understanding that it originates in your dedication. It's not your friends, it's not the Corps, it's you.

"Guns don't kill people. Male Kennedy's kill people."

Old 03-11-2010, 03:49 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I wish you well.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 03-11-2010, 04:12 AM   #8

Liked 109 Times on 46 Posts
Likes Given: 6

DI's yell and scream to instill a form of discipline, and to separate the men from the boys. It's the same in any type of military or semi-military organizations, hammer the boys and girls into soldiers who will follow orders, and learn enough to do the job properly when necessary. Stick with your program and don't worry what your friends are telling you. If you want it bad enough, it will come.

"As an American, I was not so shocked that Obama was given the Nobel Peace Prize without any accomplishments to his name, but that America gave him the White House based on the same credentials"...Newt Gingrich

The problems we face today are there because the people who work for a living are outnumbered by those who vote for a living.

Old 03-11-2010, 04:50 AM   #9

Liked 4705 Times on 2276 Posts
Likes Given: 1437

Default No better way...

If you bring the motivation to succeed, your DI's will ensure that you do. My only advice is to:

1. Keep up with your physical goals but add a pair of issue boots and several miles of "fast" walking a day to toughen up your feet. When they blister "dont tear the skin off", just drain the fluid and put your socks back on...Oh yeah, OD, cusion sole, wool, get used to em because you won't get cotton and it'll kill ya if ya try to march in it.
2. Keep quiet...you'll figure out why as soon as the first loud mouth pops off in earshot of a DI
3. Don't assume you know how to shoot...Take the instruction and use it. We vet's come across "shooter" every day. 1 trip to the range with these guys shows them for posers. I don't care much you've shot, I guarantee they will make you better.
4. HUMILITY-respect comes to all who serve, no need to go looking for it once you have a uniform.

Good luck and if you land in the sand box remember Murphy's Laws of Combat.
1. Supresive Fire Doesn't..
2. Friendly Fire Isn't...
3. Tracers work both ways...

Old 03-11-2010, 05:10 AM   #10

Liked 4 Times on 1 Posts

First off, I tip my hat with respect !

On behalf of many Americans, Thank You..

And most of all, Hot shell casings make great handwarmers during night fire drills. CS Gas is wonderful to wake up to in your tent, 10 miles gets shorter the 3rd time and that overweight woman putting slop on you food tray every day will look hot after no coochie after 6 weeks..

Congrat's !!

Gunpowder Addict For 40 Years Now