I have to get this off my chest!
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I have to get this off my chest!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Default I have to get this off my chest!

All my RL friends are either at work or in bed (night shifters!) so my friends here will have to put up with another rant from lil ol me.

This time: Helzberg Diamonds.

I bought my wife's engagement ring and wedding band there. Won't go into the pricing, how much I spent, etc etc, but let me preface this gripe by saying I have literally purchased every piece of jewelry for myself or my wife from Helzberg. Every single one. That adds up to quite a pretty penny after over 12 years of shopping there.

So anyways - when I purchased my wifes engagement ring, I got the life time protection plan on it. Makes sense, right? A diamond is forever, but the workmanship of some doofus at Helzberg might not be.

Then later, I purchase the wedding band. Once again - life time protection plan on that. Then of course they're joined into one RING, and I was told it would be protected since both "rings" have a LIFE TIME PROTECTION PLAN

WELLLLL fast forward many years later and guess what?

We take the ring in for inspection and to have it re-dipped (its white gold)...they call me back saying that the setting is coming lose and needs to be repaired. So I said SURE NO PROBLEM....I have a LIFE TIME PROTECTION PLAN AFTER ALL

Well **** me running if they didn't call me back a week later telling me it would cost $300.00 to fix the ring.

After me calling many different people, raising a ruckus, here's what I'm told by the store manager:

I have a life time protection plan, but it only covers the bands. The setting and diamond are not covered

I said - so you offer different plans for different parts of the ring? She says "no"

So there's only one "Life time protection plan" but it...only covers bands? She says 'No' LTPPs cover the entire ring.

But many years ago, when the OLD STORE MANAGER took care of me, apparently he screwed up and wrote the protection plan as covering the band only...basically the way he set things up made it look like I purchased the setting/diamond from another store, then brought it to Helzberg to have it all put together.

I said "But I didn't, you can see it in your system, I have the receipt, I have all the information to prove that this isn't the case"

Her response is "Yes, I can see that, and I can understand why you're yelling, but I can't do anything, its company policy"

I'll leave my ranting there, as I could fill your screen w/ the next hour at the long conversation that followed.

And of course, I argued with her long enough that their corporate offices were closed once I hung up.

If they don't want to work with me, it'll be $150.00 off to an attorney to send a letter on behalf with my intentions...luckily, in Illinois, they occasionally get laws somewhat written decently, and have a pretty "consumer friendly" deceptive practices law on the books.

(815 ILCS 510/) Uniform Deceptive Trade Practices Act.

Maybe it won't come to that, but a letter from an attorney usually straightens people out long before you ever have to go to court.

Dammit I hate incompetent people.

People Like This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-02-2013, 11:33 PM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7151 Times on 3915 Posts
Likes Given: 14480

You would have more success throwing a loud fit in the company of their customers. It is also easier to say no over the phone than it is when looking in your eyes.

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 12:19 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3182 Times on 1807 Posts
Likes Given: 18426

You Sir obviously did not read our (Micro-filmic) atomic nuclear print..!
Thus stated: thee life span of the Nigerian Moskva mosquito., or thee of , there fore three days..!

$300 for services rendered + advice , total = $44,027 ..! Thank you and stop again..!

Thee human race......has been reduced from sheep to jelly fish for even a sheep has a back bone..! Eeeek..!

Sorry for your loss..!

Old 07-03-2013, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 991 Times on 499 Posts
Likes Given: 2547

Quote:
Originally Posted by dango View Post
You Sir obviously did not read our (Micro-filmic) atomic nuclear print..!
Funny that you mention that - in our lengthy discussion she actually did refer to the fine print - saying I waived my rights by signing the agreement.

We'll see.
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 01:07 AM   #5

Liked 376 Times on 232 Posts
Likes Given: 156

Hmmm, I wouldn't back down and have had similar situations with two different jewelers.

First was dip for white gold same as yours, and they said there was a loose stone and corrected it. Next time in for a cleaning loose stone again, but wanted to charge for it even with the protection plan - bite me! Paid account in full never shopped with them again.

Second was earlier this year for my wife's Tag watch, sent in for replacement battery (stupid me thought the automatic was too expensive) which is normally $60. Go to pick it up $250.00 and it had all of the scratches on the steel band that it went in with. So for $250 they replaced the battery and movement (so they say), but it would be more $$ for the buff job!

I'm done with ALL jewelers - period! My wife is in to shooting so instead of jewelry she gets firearms.

01100011011011110110110101100101001000000110000101 10111001100100001000000111010001100001011010110110 01010010000001110100011010000110010101101101

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 01:28 AM   #6

Liked 76 Times on 46 Posts

How much did the two lifetime warranties cost? Would they return that money to you? This happens a lot.

If they are not going to honor their warranty, give the money back you paid for the coverage.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:16 AM   #7
Devil's Advocate and Provocateur
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 1324 Times on 693 Posts
Likes Given: 607

I agree with not backing down. If store manager won't honor the warranty, go to corporate. If company won't have any honor, there is a whole bunch of ways you can get satisfaction.

Better Business Bureau - if they are a member, you can ask for a referee to be assigned to the case. It's very much like binding arbitration.

City licensing bureau - they most likely have a license to do business in your city. They will either mediate complaints or lead you to who does.

State Attorney General - this is your state agency that handles consumer complaints. They make fraud very painful for businesses.

Professional Agencies - check front door of the business - any group that they are a member of will be posted there. Complaints against them are usually filed, but can affect their membership.

Local TV Stations - some tv stations have consumer protection teams that will embarrass businesses on camera.

RipOffReport.com - file your complaint here and also use it to check on companies that you are considering using.

Postal Service - did they mail you that warranty? They may have committed a federal crime if they don't live up to it.

Politicians - senators and congressmen will sometimes get involved if no one else will.

Can you tell that I have made some store managers lives a living hell before? There is only one way to get what you want: Be loud and be persistent. Sit down at your computer and type out the FACTS about your complaint ONE time. Then print it or paste it into every online complaint form you can find. Follow up your complaint form with a phone call. Follow that with an email. Each time you call or mail, ask what is being done, how soon it will be done, and why nothing has been done yet. If they say it is not something their department would handle, ask which department can help you. The squeaky wheel gets greased. Keep it up until they have to help you or go insane!

While waiting for a response, you can always sit in front of the store on weekends with a sign protesting their fraudulent practices. Just silently sit their and answer any questions posed to you by security or passers by. You will affect their business, or at least their reputation. It just all depends how far you wish to go for satisfaction. I think 12 years and thousands of dollars of loyalty demands more from them than the stock store policy answer. They owe you the same loyalty you showed them.

As an aside, I have used Roger's Jewellers in the past and they have never charged me for cleaning, polishing, refitting, and even replaced a lost diamond once for free. The only charge after the purchase was for a resizing that required extra gold to be added, and then they only charged for the gold at current spot price.

“Malo periculosam, libertatem quam quietam servitutem." (I prefer the tumult of liberty to the quiet of servitude.). Thomas Jefferson

"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is that good men do nothing."

-Edmund Burke, Loosely translated from Thoughts on the Cause of Present Discontents. (1770)

Last edited by TekGreg; 07-03-2013 at 05:27 AM.
People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 05:41 AM   #8
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1103 Posts
Likes Given: 3902

Quote:
Originally Posted by sdiver35 View Post
Hmmm, I wouldn't back down and have had similar situations with two different jewelers.

First was dip for white gold same as yours, and they said there was a loose stone and corrected it. Next time in for a cleaning loose stone again, but wanted to charge for it even with the protection plan - bite me! Paid account in full never shopped with them again.

Second was earlier this year for my wife's Tag watch, sent in for replacement battery (stupid me thought the automatic was too expensive) which is normally $60. Go to pick it up $250.00 and it had all of the scratches on the steel band that it went in with. So for $250 they replaced the battery and movement (so they say), but it would be more $$ for the buff job!

I'm done with ALL jewelers - period! My wife is in to shooting so instead of jewelry she gets firearms.
No matter what the repair is on electronic, car, etc. I ask for the parts that were replaced, if they say no and then I will say Thank You, I will take my business elsewhere.
Old 07-03-2013, 05:58 AM   #9
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 569 Times on 318 Posts
Likes Given: 2448

Damn Shame
Good luck
We should all boycott those Adam Henrys, Helzberg Diamonds.

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 09:09 PM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 1 Posts

We would love the opportunity to address the experience with you. Would you please reach out to our Customer Care Team at 1-800-435-9237 or email me personally at rlwindholz@helzberg.com I would be more than happy to help. ~Rashelle