I found john galt!!! - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I found john galt!!!

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-24-2013, 12:57 AM   #11
hmh
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
hmh's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 624
Liked 149 Times on 103 Posts

Default

Very good content almost prophetic. But very boring and dry.

__________________
hmh is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 03:09 AM   #12
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
F4U's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 1,340
Liked 1030 Times on 613 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by hmh View Post
Very good content almost prophetic. But very boring and dry.
I just reread it about 2 monthes ago, some is a little boring and dry other parts keep your attention. It is uncanny how well she predicted the future (now) though, with the regulations that killed the economy. I spend my days in a truck so I got it on cd. It is a little better when a talented voice actor reads it to you.
__________________
F4U is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:02 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Ah I see it now, the fall of the housing market in 2004-2005 brought on the shortages of ammo on the shelves. If it wasn't for that there would be no President Obama and no run on guns and ammo. So the culprits are the greedy bankers that wrote worthless loans and sold millions of homes to people that could not afford them at prices that could not be sustained.

It all makes sense now, it was them and not us that caused all this worry and pain. (NOT)

Convoluted thinking at it's best, lets blame others and not ourselves, why not blame it on John Galt.

As my dad always said to me, "Grow Up" and take responsibilty, don't blame others for your mistakes. (Did you get out and vote in the last election?)

Jim

__________________
bigjim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 04:58 AM   #14
I want either less corruption or more opportunity to participate in it.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
KJG67's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Chicagoland
Posts: 1,430
Liked 996 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 708

Default

bigjim, did you read the book? Not quite sure where you're going with this.

Can't disagree with you that 'we, the people' as a whole put ourselves in large part into this mess. People lived the dream but didn't think about how they were going to pay for all those credit cards and 0% interest home loans (wow, this is too good to be true! Duh!). Unregulated business took advantage of the stupid consumer. So guess, what? Now the Government is thinking for us, regulating business, giving handout to everyone with no clue how to pay for it themselves, and we don't like that either. We are the spoiled brat country of the world, and now we're choking on the medicine.

But the book takes place after that, when the government officials are already well into regulating and distributing everything for the greater good. Regulating the thinkers and distributing the wealth of the few (intellectual and financial) to all the people. And what happens when the thinkers and do'ers disappear since there's no financial or intellectual reward for their hard work, everyone else gets to ride their coattails without contributing to society.

And yep, I vote every election and try to do my due diligence to find the best person or lesser of two evils. So yes, I earned the right to disagree with the government.

__________________

.
I'm not dumb. I just have a command of thoroughly useless information.
- Bill Watterson, "Calvin", It's a Magical World

KJG67 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:08 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
And yep, I vote every election and try to do my due diligence to find the best person or lesser of two evils. So yes, I earned the right to disagree with the government.
I am glad to hear that, may I ask who you "voted for" in the last election, since we are both in Illinois and the last election was only 11 days ago?

Jim
__________________
bigjim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:25 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoreAltitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 448
Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim
Ah I see it now, the fall of the housing market in 2004-2005 brought on the shortages of ammo on the shelves. If it wasn't for that there would be no President Obama and no run on guns and ammo. So the culprits are the greedy bankers that wrote worthless loans and sold millions of homes to people that could not afford them at prices that could not be sustained.

It all makes sense now, it was them and not us that caused all this worry and pain. (NOT)

Convoluted thinking at it's best, lets blame others and not ourselves, why not blame it on John Galt.

As my dad always said to me, "Grow Up" and take responsibilty, don't blame others for your mistakes. (Did you get out and vote in the last election?)

Jim
Have you read it or read over a synopsis?

In brief, it tells a story about how ultimately state intervention in society reaches a point in which independence and individual achievement becomes almost futile. Futile because people in positions of political power who create nothing, ultimately base their decisions solely on only what benefits themselves. In short, they artificially pick winners and losers in society not based on the achievements and ideas of the individuals/thinkers/creators but on political grounds to their own ends. This leads to a society void of entrepreneurial spirit and imagination.

~Don't take what I've written here as a brief summary because i didn't do it justice I'm sure, in fact I know I didn't. It's an interesting read, and what sets it apart though is it was published in 1957, at the height of the baby boomer generation. No one was writing novels about these things like that in the postwar America. Although it has always had a cult following, in light of recent years it has only become more popular.

Btw: John Galt is the central mysterious character of the novel, he's not the one people blame, he's more of the rallying cry.

Cheers...
__________________

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved


Last edited by MoreAltitude; 04-24-2013 at 07:05 AM.
MoreAltitude is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 05:44 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Futile because people in positions of political power who create nothing, ultimately base their decisions solely on only what benefits themselves.
Hopefully you will forgive me if I call this idea BS. As a past elected official of a community in Illinois, not only does this concept reaks of socialisim, but is not how real politicians think. Now you may want to delude yourself into thinking that is the case, but most politicians are truly voting on a basis of what they think is best for those that have put them in office. Not always for what is popular that will get them re-elected or what is best for their own personal interest.

While we may not agree with them (and I disagree often with them), no where will I call them insincere in what they are doing.

Jim
__________________
bigjim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:04 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoreAltitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 448
Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim
Hopefully you will forgive me if I call this idea BS. As a past elected official of a community in Illinois, not only does this concept reaks of socialisim, but is not how real politicians think. Now you may want to delude yourself into thinking that is the case, but most politicians are truly voting on a basis of what they think is best for those that have put them in office. Not always for what is popular that will get them re-elected or what is best for their own personal interest. While we may not agree with them (and I disagree often with them), no where will I call them insincere in what they are doing.Jim
It was written as a novel, so I read it as such; purely fiction but interesting none the less. Have you read it..?
__________________

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved


Last edited by MoreAltitude; 04-24-2013 at 07:14 AM.
MoreAltitude is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:13 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigjim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Elk Grove Village, IL
Posts: 560
Liked 205 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Default

Quote:
Have you read it..?
No, I haven't. And have no plans on doing so along with a couple of other books I will not read, Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto or Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf.

You may be right about the cult following on Atlas Shrugged.

Jim
__________________
bigjim is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 06:21 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
MoreAltitude's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2012
Posts: 448
Liked 156 Times on 93 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim

No, I haven't. And have no plans on doing so along with a couple of other books I will not read, Karl Marx's Communist Manifesto or Adolf Hitler's Mein Kampf.

You may be right about the cult following on Atlas Shrugged.

Jim
How would you know it's a socialistic novel then? Ayn Rand was from Russia and legally immigrated into the US; she hated Socialism with a passion. And again its a novel, not some manuscript for the doom of a free society!! Seriously...
__________________

The United States Constitution © 1791. All Rights Reserved

MoreAltitude is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
John Roberts? Meet John Marshall. KalashnikovJosh Politics, Religion and Controversy 0 07-03-2012 06:49 AM
John D. I need info please. bobbyb13 AR-15 Discussion 1 01-22-2009 12:28 AM
John R. Lott, Jr. Kelly J Politics, Religion and Controversy 0 09-05-2008 04:13 PM