I Don't Want to Play Grown Up Today!! - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

I Don't Want to Play Grown Up Today!!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-10-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

I'd get up early, grab the bike and head over to a friend's house. First we'd go to the store to buy candy and pop and worms. Then we'd come back, grab a pole and tackle box and head to the lake. We'd spend hours fishing and talking. When done, I'd make it home for dinner. When my parents would ask, "What did you do today?" I'd answer with, "Nuthin'." Then we'd eat dinner. Those were the days...

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-10-2009, 03:59 PM   #12

Liked 34 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I'd get with my old friend Jay. We'd ride our bikes out to Bijerkie's Pond and throw some home made worm rigs for monster bass. Spend an hour in the afternoon fishing under a bridge, sheltered from a spring rain storm enjoying the peanut butter and jelly sandwiches we brought along. Then fish for blue gill all afternoon on our bargain basement bamboo fly rods. Ride home with our catch, exhausted and hungry in time for a pic and dinner.

I Don't Want to Play Grown Up Today!! - The Club House

Old 04-10-2009, 04:03 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yeah, I get up early, grab the bike, and peddle my butt down to the pier three blocks from my house on Lake Michigan. Hang out in the sun all morning catching jumbo perch and day dream about how successful I'll be as a pro-angler when I grow up. In the afternoon I'd ride around the neighborhood and look for a game of touch football and hang with my buddies until supper time.

Old 04-10-2009, 04:38 PM   #14

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3487 Times on 1612 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Ha ha ha - This thread is already awesome. Some really great stories on here.

Good stuff.

Let's make "I Don't Want to Play Grown Up" Day an official holiday. You get a free pass to do the stuff on the pages here and no one gets to punish/fire/condone/guilt trip you for it.

Hell, I bet most of us would do it without looking for a paid day off too.

JD

Old 04-10-2009, 05:47 PM   #15

Liked 3740 Times on 1828 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

I like this idea, good times.

I'd wake up around 7:00 and have a bowl of cereal and a glass of OJ while watching cartoons. I would grab the bike and head out to meet up with a friend(s). Then depending on the weather we would do a number of things,

If it was a clear day - head out into the woods/parks/construction projects for some exploring/catching fish, frogs, turtles,snakes/shooting

If it was a rainy day - head for the arcade and blow pocketfulls of quarters. Swing by the mall for some people watching and lunch.

If it was a snowy day - head out sledding/snowball fights/build snowmen then hit up a pizza joint for some awesome NY pizza.

And unless I was hungry I would be out till late hoping the day would never end. Good times.

Old 04-10-2009, 06:26 PM   #16

Liked 13 Times on 11 Posts

Great idea for a thread JD. I’ve been working my butt off today, but thinking about what I did when I was ten and had a day off.

I’d ride my “stingray” over to John’s house and we’d play football in his front yard.

Then we’d ride down to the wash and catch frogs and pollywogs.

After lunch at his house we’d ride down to the shopping center and pick-up some deposit bottles near the freeway that we’d exchange for Three Musketeers and Snickers bars.

Then go back to my house to swim in the pool and pig out on candy.

If Mom says OK to John sleeping over, we build a fort in the backyard and camp out over night.

Then get up and do it all over again.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 04-10-2009, 11:00 PM   #17

Out into the woods to play "full contact" capture the flag. Poor Adam slammed head-first into a tree every time we played... Actually knocked himself completely out more than once. He's been strongly anti-green movement every since; "the less trees the better!"

Old 04-10-2009, 11:38 PM   #18
WDB

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

In the morning a big bowl of cerial and cartoons then. A bike ride to the baseball field play in a little league baseball game, then back home for a bbq with family and friends.

Thanks JD, nice to think about being ten again.

Old 04-11-2009, 12:55 AM   #19

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Cereal for breakfast with wild blueberries we picked the day before; the only way to get them was from a boat in a pond. After breakfast I walked down to the lake and swam for hours, playing king of the dock and marco polo. Fishing afterward, followed by playing either pickle or whiffle ball until dark when we couldn't see the ball anymore. Go home for dinner, ice cream, and watching old James Bond movies until bed.

If it was winter, we would go sledding all day. We tried to find the most treacherous path through the woods on "Death Hill": a 45 degree angle hill with big trees, at the end of the hill, it turned into a 70ish degree drop with a 6 or 7 foot jump at the end and we would land in a thicket of pine saplings. I sprained my ankles and wrists several times but never broke anything. Then we would drink hot chocolate and play cards or board games by the wood stove until dinner.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-11-2009, 01:25 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark F View Post
CHILL OUT... Grab an RC Airplane and go fly for awhile.

Here I am getting ready for another flight with my Pitts Monster.

Nice!!! Boy does that bring back memories. My brother was much better at building & designing, that's why he went to RPI and I went into the Corp. He has a beautiful Pitts Special and Stearman PT-17 he made from scratch from scaling up drawings. My Dad gave him an old Olsen engine that has a miniature Champion Spark Plug and points. I wonder what my old Enya and Cox engines sell for now...do they even sell those old 9v batteries anymore? Probably killed more brain cells breathing Aero Gloss Dope in the basement than kids today sniffing glue!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"