I don't understand this........ - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I don't understand this........

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-28-2010, 06:09 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Generally, when a fight starts in Hockey the refs stay out so they don't get hurt. If the fighters go to the ice, they jump in and stop it. If the fighters stay on their skates, they will let the fight go until it gets boring or one fighter is clearly beaten and not defending himself.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 11-28-2010, 07:29 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I personally don't have a problem with the fights in hockey. Like skull said, as long as they stay on their feet they can't seriously hurt each other and they usually tire out quickly. Afterwards they go back to playing the game.
I've seen a few fights in soccer games that resulted in red cards but if they just let the guys tire out that would have been the end of it.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-28-2010, 11:44 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

There's an "unwritten" rule that nobody steps in until the fight hits the ground. That's the way it's always been. (I don't know if it's because the people like to see them fight, because there's a good chance that the refs could very well catch one or more of those fists when they're standing up, or if it would be unfair to grab one of the guys and tie him up while the other is still able to throw a punch at him...)
I'm guessing they just prefer to let them settle it themselves and give the fans a show because they usually have a chance to step in before it gets out of hand (like when the two players are circling each other with their dukes up) and they don't.

My home defense system? A Rottie and a shotty...

Old 11-29-2010, 02:26 AM   #14
RIP my good and faithful dog.
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7824 Times on 4697 Posts
Likes Given: 9855

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
What world are you living on? Hockey not a contact sport? Then why do they wear more pads than football players?

Ever heard of a body check?

I guess you have never heard the saying. "I went to a fight and a Hockey game broke out"....[/url]

I stand corrected. I guess I was thinking the point of hockey isn't contact as it is in football. I know they slam into the wall and each other as they are going so fast and they can't afford to slow down before hitting an object or person.

Did you ever see the video of the goalie who had his carotid artery cut by a skate during a game. Gruesome. He recovered quickly and was on the ice again in a couple weeks. But in an interview he said he truly thought he was going to die, as did most others who witnessed and helped him immediately afterward. Now, I work in a hospital and I see some pretty gruesome things but this video makes me very uncomfortable.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:42 AM   #15
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 469 Times on 258 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I stand corrected. I guess I was thinking the point of hockey isn't contact as it is in football. I know they slam into the wall and each other as they are going so fast and they can't afford to slow down before hitting an object or person.

Did you ever see the video of the goalie who had his carotid artery cut by a skate during a game. Gruesome. He recovered quickly and was on the ice again in a couple weeks. But in an interview he said he truly thought he was going to die, as did most others who witnessed and helped him immediately afterward. Now, I work in a hospital and I see some pretty gruesome things but this video makes me very uncomfortable.

YouTube - clint malarchuk accident
Don't forget Richard Zednik, same thing. Right about the 1:27 mark.

Old 11-29-2010, 02:48 AM   #16
FTF_MODERATOR.png

I wasn't aware of the Richard Zednik incident. I assume he recovered just fine, right?

Old 11-29-2010, 02:36 PM   #17

Liked 3737 Times on 1825 Posts
Likes Given: 13270

Fighting in Hockey is tradition - it has been going on as long as guys have been lacing up skates. It is also used as a coaching tactic - send out a goon to rough up/beat up the other teams better players. This tactic usually results in the opposing coach doing the same.

Years ago early in Bettman's stint as Commissioner he had fighting banned - it lasted 1 season and was a total disaster! The entire season was painfully boring with no excitement. Allowing the possibility of fighting keeps the game, the players and the fans on edge, adding another element of excitement to the sport.

Now if the NHL could only employ Victoria Secret models to skate around in between period wearing some sexy undies .....

Member: NRA GOA

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
Est sularas oth mithas

"either way, you were guilty by association, so you were smited...." JD

Old 11-29-2010, 02:58 PM   #18
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog2000tj View Post
Now if the NHL could only employ Victoria Secret models to skate around in between period wearing some sexy undies .....
Dog, you are too funny. There ARE "Ice Girls". You must be too busy watching the fights to notice the hot chicks that skate around and scoop up things off the ice with shovels. In fact, after the fight the other day between Scott and Westgarth some hot chicks skated out to take the blood out of the ice. Here you go. Enjoy!!

Chicago Blackhawks Ice Crew

Now if only the NHL could convince the hockey players to play with their shirts off.

Last edited by winds-of-change; 11-29-2010 at 03:04 PM.

Old 11-29-2010, 03:05 PM   #19

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I only use binoculars when the kings ice crew comes out.

ig17.jpg   ice-crew-3-mtpp.jpg   la-kings-ice-girl-30-.jpg   kings-ice-girl.jpg  

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 11-29-2010, 03:32 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I watched the Chicago Blackhawks play the LA Kings last night. This fight happened during the game. It seems this fight lasted for a minute or so. It got bloody. What I don't understand is there were two refs right there watching them fight that whole time. One ref was considerate enough to pick up a dropped stick, I guess so the fighters wouldn't trip and hurt themselves. Gloves were tossed off, a helmet went flying and John Scott from the Blackhawks ( my team ) bare knuckle whaled on Westgarth's face. Mind you, John Scott is 6'8" and weighs 258 lbs. and Kevin Westgarth is 6'4" and weighs 228 lbs.

John Scott vs Kevin Westgarth, Nov 27, 2010 - Hawks vs Kings - hockeyfights.com

Why do the refs let them fight? It isn't the rules of the game to fight and I know they get penalties but why do the refs let them fight for a while before breaking it up. Usually the fights get stopped when one of the fighters fall or there's blood but until then.........they FIGHT. If they're going to let them fight then it should be incorporated into the rules of the game, right?
First, That fight was great because Scott won!. Fighting in Pro hockey is just part of the game , tempers flare and then you have what you saw, Both players in a NHL fight get a 5 min major (unless you are the 3rd man in) and the Refs let it go until the players hit the ice. I wouldnt try to break that up ,would you ? The players are usually sticking up for a fellow player and know the consequences to themselves and the team.I personally dont mind the fighting ,in fact,when there is a good one (like this one) I like it.I cant see how you can have a game as aggressive as pro hockey without a fight now and then.It happens in the NFL too we just arent shown it usually as they turn the cameras away and the people calling the game kinda try to avoid it. At least in hockey the let it play out and hit them with the penalty. Id bet that MANY more people watch hockey for the fights than turn it off because of it.JMO....In a way it is incorporated into the game two 5 for fighting penalties..Go Blackhawks!!