Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > i dont speak motorcycle

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-22-2012, 03:08 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Default i dont speak motorcycle

http://garwoodcycles.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=listing&rid=1426&pageid=32&id =578665

thats the link to a zx6r. since im going to be driving soon i thought i might as well start looking and saving and i've discussed it with my mom and dad they say a 600 would be best to learn on.(my dad has dealt with motorcycles his whole life) and they agree that if i show responsibility and save my money i can get a 600. now im torn between these 2(other link below) any advice? my dads asleep so cant get no advice from him.

http://garwoodcycles.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=listing&rid=1506&pageid=32&id =578665

"Time's are rough and time's are strange but times one thing that you cant change." - Rodney Adkins

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-22-2012, 03:45 AM   #2

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 19

since jujst for learning you should go for the lesser priced one... learn it, upgrade a lil and then buy a different one in afew years!

"No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government" - Thomas Jefferson

Old 05-22-2012, 03:47 AM   #3

Liked 2371 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 51

Cheaper is better, it's not if but when you lay it down.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 05-22-2012, 03:48 AM   #4

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

Both of those bikes are old enough to probably have had some serious running done with them. The first one has a lot of add ons, mostly for performance. Are you already a rider? If not, you might want to get a tamer bike for the first one. How far are you needing to travel? If it is local there are some 250 street bikes that are a lot of fun to ride and won't get you in as much horsepower trouble as a 600. Seems like the prices are a little high on both of them too, maybe bikes go for more back east than they do here.
Do some more research and enjoy. Riding is almost as good as shooting.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 05-22-2012, 03:50 AM   #5
10-32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2917 Times on 1718 Posts

I know one thing for sure about motorcycles.
You will dump it.
Always go cheap for your first bike. Chances are its gonna take a beating. I've seen guys go out and spend $7k on their first bike and put the kick stand down on a rock and have the bike fall over within a week. Expensive bike = expensive mistake.

I don't need No stinking signature.

Old 05-22-2012, 04:08 AM   #6

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
Both of those bikes are old enough to probably have had some serious running done with them. The first one has a lot of add ons, mostly for performance. Are you already a rider? If not, you might want to get a tamer bike for the first one. How far are you needing to travel? If it is local there are some 250 street bikes that are a lot of fun to ride and won't get you in as much horsepower trouble as a 600. Seems like the prices are a little high on both of them too, maybe bikes go for more back east than they do here.
Do some more research and enjoy. Riding is almost as good as shooting.
well i have riden before i would say im experienced ive driven dirt bikes and a old 99 zx6r one time for about a city block other than that not much i have had quite a lot of experience with atv's though. if that counts for anything.

"Time's are rough and time's are strange but times one thing that you cant change." - Rodney Adkins

Old 05-22-2012, 04:16 AM   #7

Liked 47 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Your first street bike and you've done dirt?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard%20S40/2012/S40.aspx

That's about $5,500 brand new, so you're buying a bike under warranty, and it's a lot more similar to what you're used to.
For your first bike, a crotch rocket isn't exactly what I'd recommend. Don't take this personally, but young people and crotch rockets tends to cause a severe case of thinking they can push it to it's limits.

What part of 'shall not be infringed' confuses people?

Old 05-22-2012, 04:28 AM   #8

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BenLuby View Post
Your first street bike and you've done dirt?

http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%20Lines/Cycles/Products/Boulevard%20S40/2012/S40.aspx

That's about $5,500 brand new, so you're buying a bike under warranty, and it's a lot more similar to what you're used to.
For your first bike, a crotch rocket isn't exactly what I'd recommend. Don't take this personally, but young people and crotch rockets tends to cause a severe case of thinking they can push it to it's limits.
well i understand that and i will by no means "push it to the limit" mainly because i would be riding straight to work and back along with my dad which is the main reason i want a "crotch rocket" anyway because he is going tomorrow to buy a zx 10r and when im of age we are going to make it a tradition to go ride once a year. and ive always liked the way they look.

Old 05-22-2012, 05:59 AM   #9

Liked 279 Times on 200 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Ive been around bikes my whole life, i dont ride rockets i ride Harleys. But from people i know that do ride rockets the Gsxr is gonna be less of a problem for you. And they are cheaper to fix than a Kawasaki. And its the cheaper of the two. There will always be a market for older crotch rockets and if they are taken care of they will hold their value pretty good.

Old 05-22-2012, 08:32 AM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2648 Times on 1543 Posts
Likes Given: 1174

If you have not ridden before and not attended a motorcycle training course, then attend one.

Most first time riders want the "race" styled bike (looks cool, impractical as heck), get to the course and cannot handle the 250cc rebel without getting in trouble.

Some 600cc bikes (like a Ninja) are designed for the experienced rider and are not fun to ride for more that three hours straight.

Get some miles under your belt with a bike that you can afford to dump or have an accident with (and it is not a question of "if", but "when" it happens).

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)