Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I dislike "sales" people. a LOT!

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 05:08 PM   #11
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

my LGS that i use will do them for me for $25. i buy most of my firears from him just because of the service and price, plus they are knowledgeable and treat every customer with respect. another thing he will do is even order things he doesn't normally stock for me if he can get it. i too don't like pushy sales people, if i walked into a place not knowing exactly what i want, then that's one thing, but if i know what i want, then sell me what i want, or i will go somewhere else.

Old 11-09-2011, 05:47 PM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4461 Times on 2354 Posts
Likes Given: 255

refusing to do ffl xfers doesnt make sense to me. someone is going to do it for the customer so the shop that refuses is just shooting themselves in the foot. its a gaurunteed fee with no overhead...

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #13
fmj

Liked 748 Times on 432 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trez View Post
Its better than being one of those crazy International people!!
I dont hate on the International guys......International Harvester WAS based here in town....i spect your machine was built here in town.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 11-09-2011, 07:07 PM   #14

Likes Given: 13

We are not pushy about it when asked questions concerning transfers how ever we to ask if we may give a price quote for the item before the transfer. If its a new gun or part usually we can order it and get it to you for less than the cost of you buying it and paying the shipping (if any) and transfer fee. I mean we are here to make a sale not to push you but like someone said earlier the local mom and pop stores depend on making sales and your purchase dollars are then used to pay our employees and pay local taxes which go back into our local community, not off to some other state. not to mention I can almost garuntee you will not get the same service from them as you will your local store in most cases anyways

Old 11-09-2011, 10:12 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7554 Times on 3288 Posts
Likes Given: 1120

The gent above me has the right idea- and congratulations on being a smart man.

I know some dealers that charge nothing for a transfer other than state fees- IF it is for a regular customer. Yes, they bought a gun from somone else. YOU get the chance to sell them ammo, scopes, slings, cleaning gear, recoil pads, yada yada yada.

If you go to auctionarms,com, or gunbroker.com, both have a "Find a FFL" function- dealers that have registered as being willing to serve as a transfer agent. Put in your zip code, pulls up dealers near you.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 11-09-2011, 10:16 PM   #16

Liked 983 Times on 633 Posts
Likes Given: 244

The truth is, when you walk into a man's shop who depends on selling guns to make his living, how can you fault him for trying to make a larger sale? He is in the business of selling guns, not doing transfers.

I a with you 100% when some jackass knocks on my door trying to sell products or religion.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 11-10-2011, 06:33 AM   #17
Texas Ranger Fan!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 16811 Times on 9743 Posts
Likes Given: 43865

i think cmhill and c3 are on the right track here. a lot of gun stores really should think about FFL transfers because, it could be an opportunity to seel other items. even my LGS sometimes can't beat a price on something i want, but i do buy a lot of other items from him for the item he transfered. sometimes he does beat the price i found somewhere else and i do purchase from him. but in several years, he has usually been pretty close in price, so i just usually buy it from him.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:23 AM   #18

Liked 1756 Times on 802 Posts
Likes Given: 1781

I don't mind someone trying to sell me something. The ones I dislike are the ones that ignore you.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:36 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I wouldn't get too bent out of shape about it. He's trying to make a sale which is why he's there. If it upset you that much, take your business elsewhere.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 11-10-2011, 10:22 AM   #20
Jay

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The local shop I frequent is a second-generation gun shop. Couldn't ask for a better place to shop for, buy, or ask about guns. When you walk in the door, you're asked, "how can I help you?" You respond, and the owner does his best to assist. There are 4 or 5 stools in front of the counter, that are almost always occupied, and there are at least 250-300 firearms in the place, all the time. He special orders anything with no fees, transfers are $25. His gun prices are a bit higher than internet prices, but if I really need something on a Sunday afternoon, he'll walk next door and open up for me. I think that's worth a few bucks.

NRA Life Member
Freedom has a flavor the protected can never taste...
USMC 8652, 2531, RVN Jun '67, - May 69

Some of my toys