Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   I dislike "sales" people. a LOT! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/i-dislike-sales-people-lot-51481/)

70cuda383 11-09-2011 04:47 PM

I dislike "sales" people. a LOT!

why is it that EVERYONE wants to push on you something you don't even want?!

stopped in a few of the local gun shops to ask them what they charge for FFL transfers, as I'm doing my research to begin an AR build.

the standard conversation at each place went about like this:

"Hi, I'm looking for information about FFL transfers...how much do you charge, do I come here and do the paperwork first, or do I buy the gun and have it sent here first, etc."

their first question "what are you buying? we have a great selection here"

--answer, I'm building an AR and need the transfer for the lower receiver

next question "what are you building?"

--answer, just a standard, run of the mill M4 clone, nothing special, I just want to build one to build one

"well, for what you're going to spend buying parts to build one, plus shipping, you can buy one already done...here let me show you what we have...." and they proceed to show me their line of $1300 mil-spec ARs that are "On sale!" what's funny is the "big box stores" had the exact same ones listed at $800 in their "hunting season specials" that was in the Sunday paper.

ugh!!! if I wanted to buy a built AR, I'd buy a built AR, all I came in to ask you was how the FFL transfer process works, since I've never done one, always just bought my guns right there in a store. you started asking other questions and I was being polite and answered them instead of being a jerk and saying "I'm just here to to ask about the FFL transfer"

LONGHAIR 11-09-2011 04:51 PM

Welcome to America...The land of sell-it to you even if you don't need-it or want-it....I guess they work-on commission ...

fmj 11-09-2011 04:52 PM

First off, their paycheck depends on you buying there.

Secondly, if they piss you off, you can do like I do. Tell 'em point blank, you'll spend your money somewhere that is willing to help you do what you want to do, then leave.

Hinermad 11-09-2011 05:02 PM

I had the same conversation at a local shop. When I told the guy I was building a PSL (which they didn't stock) and needed a receiver transferred he tried to talk me into letting their gunsmith build it for me because that was something the average shooter would have trouble with.

Me, average? Hah. Moving along...

The next shop I went to, the owner/salesman/gunsmith said "Transfers are $45. What are you getting?" When I told him I was building a PSL he said, "Well that's different. Most guys are builing ARs or AKs. If you need help, just let me know." I keep going back to that one.

Dave

70cuda383 11-09-2011 05:02 PM

yea, I know their paycheck depends on people like me buying guns from them, but does that mean they need to sell a gun to every person who walks in the door, even if they're not looking to buy a full weapon? do they try to "up-sell" a handgun to every joe blow who walks in to buy a box of 9mm ammo?

"why are you buying that 9mm ammo? do you have a 9mm at home? here, let me show you our fine selection of 9mm weapons, they're even on sale right now!"

after stopping at a few places, I wonder if I can get Wal-mart to do my transfer? the idiots who work there don't know enough to try to upsell me something!

70cuda383 11-09-2011 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hinermad (Post 623277)
I had the same conversation at a local shop. When I told the guy I was building a PSL (which they didn't stock) and needed a receiver transferred he tried to talk me into letting their gunsmith build it for me because that was something the average shooter would have trouble with.

Me, average? Hah. Moving along...

The next shop I went to, the owner/salesman/gunsmith said "Transfers are $45. What are you getting?" When I told him I was building a PSL he said, "Well that's different. Most guys are builing ARs or AKs. If you need help, just let me know." I keep going back to that one.

Dave

When I find that guy's brother who is running a shop in my area...I'll be sure to go there! I hate how they treat you like you're an idiot because you don't work there, and if you don't work there, then you obviously don't know what you're doing.

If I can build a 500+ hp big block stroker and put (so far) 4,000 hard street miles on it with nothing but oil changes...then building a firearm can't be THAT difficult!!

fmj 11-09-2011 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 70cuda383 (Post 623280)
When I find that guy's brother who is running a shop in my area...I'll be sure to go there! I hate how they treat you like you're an idiot because you don't work there, and if you don't work there, then you obviously don't know what you're doing.

If I can build a 500+ hp big block stroker and put (so far) 4,000 hard street miles on it with nothing but oil changes...then building a firearm can't be THAT difficult!!

Well you ARE a Dodge boy........so there is DEFINITELY SOMETHING wrong with your head! :p;):rolleyes::D

Trez 11-09-2011 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 623282)
Well you ARE a Dodge boy........so there is DEFINITELY SOMETHING wrong with your head! :p;):rolleyes::D

Its better than being one of those crazy International people!! ;):p

notdku 11-09-2011 05:49 PM

I've been rejected for FFL transfers because the store "Sold it" like I care.

I finally found one an FFL I like who is willing to ship and shoots the bull.

Doesn't push anything, just a nice guy.

Keithr 11-09-2011 05:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notdku
I've been rejected for FFL transfers because the store "Sold it" like I care.

I finally found one an FFL I like who is willing to ship and shoots the bull.

Doesn't push anything, just a nice guy.

Back in Wisconsin there this shop in our little town one guy runs and I can just walk in and shoot the **** with him and ask questions and is berry helpful