Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I Disagree With You Thread

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2008, 02:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Default I Disagree With You Thread

Okay, this has been needed for a bit now and is in use on other website forums across the internet.

We are having good meaning threads hijacked and taken completely off course because one person makes a statement that someone else takes personally and a flame war ensues. I am fine with a heated discussion, as long as it can remain civil, but this constant redirecting of threads is harmful to new contributors who have not the experience in our little realm to know what's going on.

Here's the deal - This thread can be taken wherever the hell you think it needs to go. Copy and paste the "inaccurate" quote from whatever thread you read it in, paste it in here with some quote marks on it, and then state your rebuttal, with as much random information or opinion as you want. Post a simple reply in the initial thread indicating that you have a counter opinion and that your reply will be addressed here. Threads can then stay on track and people who are new here, and making an effort to contribute, won't feel their work is in vain and has become secondary to an ongoing verbal barrage.

There is nothing wrong with a healthy argument from time to time, but not everyone is up on the history of your particular issue, so moving it to more neutral ground is a good way to deal with the issue and still allow growth to a website that we all, I believe, love.

JD

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-03-2008, 02:47 PM   #2

Default Boris - A Continuing Discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris View Post
JD: Not a stretch at all, the DRM and DGSE have been working on it for some time.......I didn't say that French Special Forces where directly involved.......
Your statement was "the French military who where instrumental in the recovery of the three American Operatives (held captive since 2003) along with the other 11 hostages freed from Columbia yesterday."

The implication was, if no one cared to research it, that the French Military was directly responsible. They weren't. Maybe they provided intel. Maybe they didn't. Maybe they had troops on the ground. Maybe they didn't. What can be said for sure is that French folks don't look anything like Colombians, and since this was a subversive technique of troops posing as Colombian Revolutionaries, I kind of doubt it was French, or US Troops, on the ground.

Quote:
Heaven's forbid that anyone from this Forum will give the French any credit for anything, just because they don't choose to shout about it does not mean they don't get after it, when it's in the French national interest.
And here we are, hijacking another good thread started by someone who obviously wants to commit some good information to the website. Again we have someone that says something you don't like, and again we have you accusing us Americans of not being as well educated. How many times has this come about in the last few months?

Quote:
It was an outstanding job by the Colombian Army (for once), and that should be an indication right there......
How is this different? The Colombian Army normally does a horrible job at everything, but because they had French intel, or boots on the ground, suddenly they can do a good job? If I was of Colombian army service stock, I would take offense to that, just as you did to BigO's statement in the previous post. It's no different than the posts that you have problems with saying the French needed US assistance to take back their country. Everyone can cast stones on another's operation from afar, even you. Maybe their leaders are corrupt, maybe they aren't, but I bet there are some good soldiers in their ranks that honestly try to kick ass everytime out of the gate.

Quote:
While your talking Special Forces they have units rated in the top #3, and their Police Tactical Teams, the GDGN and GDPN are also extremely good.
First, I never said their elite units weren't good. That's how you get to be Elite, by being good. The French Foreign Legion has, for decades, produced hardcore soldiers. Second, what the hell are you talking about? #3 at what?! Source?! Was there some international ranking system that was put in place that determined if "my" Special Forces team could kick the ass of "their" Special Forces team?!

JD

Old 07-03-2008, 02:51 PM   #3

JD: Put it back in the tin........you know a lot better than to take anything here personally...... and while you have taken the moral high ground you must also be aware that you are just as guilty of hi-jacking threads as others here so please, and do say this with some tongue in cheek, don't such a load of tripe............

Last edited by Boris; 07-03-2008 at 02:55 PM.

Old 07-03-2008, 02:58 PM   #4

Quote:
JD: Put it back in the tin........you know a lot better than to take anything here personally......
I am not taking it personally - we are having a discussion, or a difference of opinion, or whatever. But there is no good reason to have a discussion of this nature, this far off topic, in a newbie's thread that was obviously trying to contribute.

I feel the guy probably has no idea of your background, and your views, and has no idea that this is something that has gone on for several past threads. We don't need to chase him off with our gruff back and forth of normal conversation. I don't feel that is fair to him. Now we have a place were we can discuss the finer points of anything where two people disagree - on anything.

Quote:
you must also be aware that you are just as guilty of hi-jacking threads as others here
Once again, all the more reason to be able to move the discussion to a place set aside for such things. I don't want my threads hijacked, and I am sure the newbie's don't either. This is just good internet protocol for a forum and is in common use. I didn't invent it in an attempt to "win" or take the moral high ground on anything. Maybe I just wanted a good place to be able to tell you how wrong you are without hijacking someone elses thread on global warming.

There is nothing wrong or harmful in that....

Last edited by Dillinger; 07-03-2008 at 03:01 PM.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:00 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Let's keep it calm and civil folks.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 07-03-2008, 03:19 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by matt g View Post
Let's keep it calm and civil folks.
It is remaining calm & civil. There isn't anything in the posts that are threats or violent in nature, and we aren't calling each other names, nor are we challenging each other to pistols at dawn.

I just posted the new thread idea to move the discussion out of a new members training posts. The discussion concerns a foreign military operation, in a thread about firearms training.

Boris has one opinion, I have a differing one, neither of which were needed in the thread where they sprang up...

JD

Old 07-03-2008, 11:32 PM   #7

Liked 25 Times on 21 Posts
Likes Given: 7

None of us were there.

We are relying on reports provided by the always reliable news media.

Any French troops in the area were more than likely Foreign Legion, and therefore not likely to "look french."

$0.02 worth. Take it or leave it. Who cares?

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 09-18-2009, 03:34 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
While technically legal to produce a modern firearm for your own, personal, never to be sold, use - the SUR is NOT the one I would choose to temp my Fate.
It's not just "technically" legal - it's perfectly legal, and there's nothing Big Brother can do about it, because it's simply not against the law. Though if you're a felon, you're still outta luck.

There are numerous forums and websites dedicated to home-made firearms, and AR-15s in particular. It's not something you need to hide from the world, or be fearful of.

EDIT: From the ATF Firearms FAQ: "With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts."

"If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains sit lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen!”

Last edited by BPond; 09-18-2009 at 03:39 AM.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:08 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPond View Post
It's not just "technically" legal - it's perfectly legal, and there's nothing Big Brother can do about it,
Do you really believe that? NOTHING they can do about it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BPond View Post
EDIT: From the ATF Firearms FAQ: "With certain exceptions a firearm may be made by a non-licensee provided it is not for sale and the maker is not prohibited from possessing firearms. However, a person is prohibited from assembling a non-sporting semi-automatic rifle or non-sporting shotgun from imported parts."
Yeah. Interesting thing that little highlighted part there. The classification of "non-sporting" and their definition of "imported"

Personally, I don't own any firearms any longer, factory, custom or home made, as I lost them all in a tragic boating accident with Skullchrusher.

Old 09-18-2009, 03:17 PM   #10

Liked 1406 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dillinger View Post
Personally, I don't own any firearms any longer, factory, custom or home made, as I lost them all in a tragic boating accident with Skullchrusher.
Hey, I was driving the BOAT. I just forgot it wasn't a submersible!!!

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello