i am thinking about getting a new gunsafe. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > i am thinking about getting a new gunsafe.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-14-2012, 09:35 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 60

I really wish I hadn't gotten an electronic lock on mine. Good safe all around besides that. Got mine at Sams.

Old 02-14-2012, 10:46 PM   #12

Liberty has local locksmith's that will change the lock out for you, you will just have to contact them to see who is on their list. We do it all the time for customers

Old 02-15-2012, 12:09 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heart_of_Dixie View Post
Liberty has local locksmith's that will change the lock out for you, you will just have to contact them to see who is on their list. We do it all the time for customers
What kind of cost is it to change the lock? It would be a lot easier than wrestling the old one out and a new one in.

Old 02-15-2012, 12:46 PM   #14
fmj

Liked 753 Times on 437 Posts
Likes Given: 306

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
What kind of cost is it to change the lock? It would be a lot easier than wrestling the old one out and a new one in.
I would like to hear this as well...i might be interested in changing out the digital to a manual lock if the price was right.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 02-15-2012, 12:56 PM   #15

Since it is not a service call you would be at the locksmith's mercy, if i remember right the one we use just charges us a minimum service charge. You will have to contact you local liberty dealer to order the lock.

Old 02-16-2012, 12:11 PM   #16

Quote:
Since it is not a service call you would be at the locksmith's mercy, if i remember right the one we use just charges us a minimum service charge. You will have to contact you local liberty dealer to order the lock.
I'll do some checking on that. Thanks for the information. I could try to get this for Father's day or something.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:53 AM   #17

I checked on our prices and the lock runs $125.00 and we pay $125.00 for the locksmith. I know this wont be the same where you are but should give you an idea

Old 02-17-2012, 01:31 AM   #18

Quote:
I checked on our prices and the lock runs $125.00 and we pay $125.00 for the locksmith. I know this wont be the same where you are but should give you an idea
That's some serious money, over a third of what I paid for the safe when I got it. Still would be less hassle than changing safes.

Old 02-17-2012, 06:43 AM   #19
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9080 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Can a marginally competent person change the lock mechanism on their own? I imagine so, if you can work on your own guns the lock mechanism on a safe is not a long jump. I don't have any electronic mechanisms (Hell, two of mine are Navy surplus and over 60 years old or so) but I do service them myself every year. Clean them up and all, a little light oil. Just like a gun. One of the mechanisms I serviced years ago got sluggish and I brought it into a locksmith friend of mine. I used a lubricant where I shouldn't have and that gummed things up. Lesson learned.

Lock mechanisms are pricy. I have looked into newer safes with replacing the lock in mind and I wouldn't do it myself, better off replacing the safe with an older model that has an "analog" tumbler.

Oh, and another thing, on some tumblers you can change the combination yourself. I think I have a Yale that I can change the combo on. Be careful to have the new combo written down though so when you die your heirs can get it open.

Old 02-17-2012, 12:14 PM   #20

The locksmith showed a couple of guys how to do it and they said it didnt look too bad. It probably took him 20 minutes tops so it cant be that hard. I wasnt there so i honestly dont have a clue but I'm sure there is info on the web...maybe youtube?