Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > I am puzzled.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 03:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Default I am puzzled.

I am puzzled by people who post on this forum, asking what gun would be best for -- well, just fill in the blank: carry, survival, plinking, self defense, whatever. I never have this problem -- in fact, for every scenario I can imagine, guns I want just seem to jump out at me.

And it's getting harder and harder to justify buying more on the basis of any sort of rational "need". My "what if's" just keep getting more extreme. What if I wake up one night by a noise in the backyard, and have to shoot a polar bear in my pajamas (how a polar bear got in my pajamas I don't know. Sorry). What if Cuban/North Korean paratroopers invade Western PA, and I need a good long distance rifle to snipe 'em off. I think I have zombies covered, dammit . . . oh wait, one of those take down 10-22's would fit perfectly in the truck of my car.

And, of course, for each gun that fills one of these necessary purposes, I need a spare. What if something happened to my primary? Then I wouldn't have one if I didn't have an extra. But then, my back up would be my primary, and I wouldn't have a backup . . . so I need a back up for my back up.

What if I have to forage for ammo due to . . . EMP, zombies, plague, alien invasion, whatever . . . and you other bastards have taken all the .308 ammo . . . AND the 30-06 . . . but wait, you left the .300 savage AND .38 super.

I haven't even mentioned giant reptiles yet. Hey, it COULD happen. Is a 30-06 enough gun? I'd hate to be half in the gator's gullet thinking about that .300 H&H that I ALMOST bought. To late now, chomp chomp chomp.

Better safe than sorry, right?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1600 Times on 860 Posts
Likes Given: 2603

I guess it could happen...

bmbb-cd5.jpg  
Old 07-04-2013, 03:41 PM   #3

Liked 1115 Times on 583 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by stratrider View Post
i guess it could happen...
see! See! These things could happen!
Old 07-04-2013, 03:45 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6016 Times on 3296 Posts
Likes Given: 11480

You never know.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:51 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2834 Times on 1641 Posts
Likes Given: 16903

Common sense should over ride all scenarios here ..! What would be the most
Multiple purpose in any of many scenarios ..? This would be a personal thing depending on demographics , personal expections , etc.!

I have chosen three things and they are all diverse.! And yeah , stealth is in there .! If you can't see me , the better for me ..!

Old 07-04-2013, 04:05 PM   #6

Liked 4529 Times on 2189 Posts
Likes Given: 1352

Possum... I hear you.

If the 2 dozen I own can't get it done, it's probably undoable.

However... Now that I can own a supressor in WA State, I'm thinking a suppressed .22LR pistol and 10 back up mags would come in handy durring the Zombie Appocolypse...

According to "Walking Dead" gunshots are like ringing the dinner bell drawing in 5 more for every one you shoot.... Right?

Tack

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:15 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19821 Times on 11254 Posts
Likes Given: 49962

i pretty much look for and buy the ones that appeal to me. mostly these days it's about cartrdges that i want to own firearms in and not about a specific need to fill with any firearm. i have those needs pretty much covered.

at some point, i would even like to get into some of the reproduction black powder firearms. i have shot very few of them, but it looks to be quite fun. most of what i buy is what i think will be enjoyable to shoot or something i can find to work on. i enjoy working on my own firearms. my greatest enjoyment is owning and shooting very accurate bolt actions.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:19 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 444 Times on 320 Posts
Likes Given: 142

I understand your dilemma,,, I didn't figure a .41 or .44 mag was enough for rogue T. Rex, so I picked up a Freedom Arms 83 in .500 Wyoming Express,,, I have 3 1911's,, 2 Blackhawks and a Colt clone, several varied .22 lr pistols and rifles,,, the various applications and scenarios can drive one buggy to say the least,, my wife has the same trouble with trap guns although clay birds do not represent a global threat to me,,, but the folks down at the LGS's like to see us walk into the door,, good luck with your affliction,, I am still working on recovery to little avail.

Old 07-04-2013, 04:43 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1784 Times on 1168 Posts
Likes Given: 1506

Quote:
Originally Posted by yazul42 View Post
I understand your dilemma,,, I didn't figure a .41 or .44 mag was enough for rogue T. Rex, so I picked up a Freedom Arms 83 in .500 Wyoming Express,,, I have 3 1911's,, 2 Blackhawks and a Colt clone, several varied .22 lr pistols and rifles,,, the various applications and scenarios can drive one buggy to say the least,, my wife has the same trouble with trap guns although clay birds do not represent a global threat to me,,, but the folks down at the LGS's like to see us walk into the door,, good luck with your affliction,, I am still working on recovery to little avail.
Here you go:
524694_508945455820978_829429880_n.jpg  

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

People Like This 
Old 07-04-2013, 04:57 PM   #10
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2638 Times on 1538 Posts
Likes Given: 1170

The game of "What if..." is an interesting game.

I would rather play the "Let's avoid....."

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

People Like This