You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

Hyphenated last names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 07:16 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Goju,

Glass hyphened her last name when we were married. She did it mainly for work reasons but also because she is her own woman and is my partner not my property (No, I know that's not what you meant or even thought) I'm just saying that was what I think. I can understand why over history the woman took her husband’s name as he was there to take care of her, protect her and was the main bread winner in the family and it was important to keep the "family" name going. BUT as we as a people and society evolve and men realize that women are our equals and partners then we have to evolve and let them keep their identity if they so choose. I do not have a problem with Glass keeping her maiden name and I was and am proud she elected to take my last name also.

Scubie

Thanks for the story. I was just wondering what the deal was and if is a new trend. I really don't see it hurting anyone in any way.

Old 08-16-2010, 08:05 AM   #22

Liked 19 Times on 13 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
It was her choice to marry me, and she did.

I didn't exactly demand it like that. I told her how I felt about it and after some thought she agreed.
Ok, good deal! Everyone is happy, so no issue. I still say you got the better end of the deal. She even married you when you had a shiner. That is love right there, brother. Plus, you married out of your league. I did the same, twice.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-16-2010, 09:07 AM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post
Ok, good deal! Everyone is happy, so no issue. I still say you got the better end of the deal. She even married you when you had a shiner. That is love right there, brother. Plus, you married out of your league. I did the same, twice.
Yes I did.

Old 08-16-2010, 10:35 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 88 Times on 58 Posts
Likes Given: 5

My wife never even questioned it. She has my last name, her maiden name is now her middle name and it was the best day of her life.

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 08-16-2010, 10:58 AM   #25

Liked 29 Times on 7 Posts

My oldest daughter earned a lot of academic recognition under the family name - so she kept it even after she married. I gave her hell about possibly using the hyphen crap and she said "I'm a Fitzgerald, he can change his damn name"...

Old 08-16-2010, 11:09 AM   #26

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Take the last name or don't. Get married or don't. Don't try to be half married.
Quote:
My wife mentioned it when we were getting married.

I told her I love her, but she is going to have to accept my last name and no hyphenation.
Quote:
It was her choice to marry me, and she did.

I didn't exactly demand it like that. I told her how I felt about it and after some thought she agreed.
First post and follow-up are consistent but didn't really agree with the last. Peer pressure?

Old 08-16-2010, 01:09 PM   #27

Liked 87 Times on 67 Posts

its just a lib thing. like, why do i have to take YOUR name? why dont you take mine? are you saying you are better than me?

COMPROMIZE = HYPHENATED LAST NAME

Old 08-16-2010, 01:23 PM   #28
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 4118 Times on 2103 Posts
Likes Given: 523

A couple I work with have an interesting situation. He took HER last name when they wed. He was an orphan and had no living blood relatives. Her father treated him like a son, so he took her family name when they got married. We gave him hell for a while, but I understand why he did it.

My spouse kept her previous married name to keep the tie to her son. Now that he is off to college, she will likely change hers to mine.

Old 08-16-2010, 01:33 PM   #29

Liked 861 Times on 343 Posts
Likes Given: 1687

After my wife's divorce from her first husband, she took back her maiden name. When we got married she asked if I had a problem with her keeping it and hyphenating it with my last name. I told her it was no problem with me. After a few years she quit using her maiden name and now only uses mine.

She came to see the superiority of my last name....what, what, was it something I said???

Old 08-16-2010, 02:04 PM   #30

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroxAZ View Post
After my wife's divorce from her first husband, she took back her maiden name. When we got married she asked if I had a problem with her keeping it and hyphenating it with my last name. I told her it was no problem with me. After a few years she quit using her maiden name and now only uses mine.

She came to see the superiority of my last name....what, what, was it something I said???

........... and the fight began.