Hyphenated last names. - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hyphenated last names.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

I agree your either 100% married or your 0% married. If you are 100% married then you take your husbands last name unless your some Movie star douche bag.

Now that being said my stepmom had to do it 20 some years into her marriage to my father. I was a little upset when she did it but I asked why and she explained it to me.

She (My mom) is a small business owner. She prepairs taxes for a few people in my home town. She has lived there for over 30 years and is well known in the community (SUCKED ASS FOR HER TEENAGE STEPSON ME) anyways. Their was a lady in our town that couldn't keep up on her bills and sure enough had went around town saying this Other "REBA MACENTIRE" was using her name and not paying the bills. My stepmom has never missed a payment on anything in her life. Well one day The other Reba said that to a lady at a local store McCoy's Hardware where my parents (Both Sets) have charge accounts. The lady she told just so happened to be a long long time family friend and she just laid into the other Reba. Then went to the office got her information and called my mom and gave all that information to her house phone cell phone and address. My mom during all this was getting collection calls at WORK at all times of the day and night. The other Reba owed more money to more people than the federal govt does.

My mom gets it handeled and says to my dad I don't want to but I am going to hyphenate my last name so this doesn't happen again. Dad says sure what ever works (Dad is LAID BACK). Fast forward 2 years later. Now there are 3 boys and 1 girl in the family on that side two boys are hers from her first marriage my sister and I from my dads marriage. My sister is getting married so like a good brother I pack up and fly home for a month and a half (Yes I had that much leave built up and more). We are doing all the stuff and getting ready for the wedding and what not. Marriage goes off and everyone is kind of happy (NO ONE really cares for the smack head she married) I wake up the next morning and go out front to have a cup of coffee and read the paper on the front porch. On the front page of the paper is big bold letters. REBA MACENTIRE KILLED BY SON IN LAW. I put down my coffee and the paper and go in the house at 6:30 am and call my dad to see what the hell was going on jack ass was in teh family not even 24 hours and he killed my stepmom. Nope other Reba I guessed owed her SIL like $10,000 and wouldn't pay so he stabbed her 32 times.

So instead of going through the loops again to undo the name change she just left it. To all family and friends she is still Reba Macentire.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:11 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poink88 View Post
That's their choice and right...like you can own a gun. How do you feel when others question your choice/right?

When others do it???? I'm not trying to start some law here. I'm just trying to understand why. Seems like they are trying to hold on to their identity and maybe they feel opressed by having to changee their last names. It looks to me like it's becoming more and more prevalent in society, I noticed it, so I asked.

Seriously, what does this have to do with guns?

My wife mentioned it when we were getting married.

I told her I love her, but she is going to have to accept my last name and no hyphenation.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:14 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatekeeper View Post
Respect to the family they came from, and respect to the family they've joined.
Whats the problem??
Just doesn't seem right to me, that's all.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:18 AM   #14

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gojubrian View Post
Seriously, what does this have to do with guns?
You missed my message by a mile. Reason enough (for me) not to talk any further. Good night.

Old 08-16-2010, 03:25 AM   #15

Liked 40 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Goju,

Glass hyphened her last name when we were married. She did it mainly for work reasons but also because she is her own woman and is my partner not my property (No, I know that's not what you meant or even thought) I'm just saying that was what I think. I can understand why over history the woman took her husband’s name as he was there to take care of her, protect her and was the main bread winner in the family and it was important to keep the "family" name going. BUT as we as a people and society evolve and men realize that women are our equals and partners then we have to evolve and let them keep their identity if they so choose. I do not have a problem with Glass keeping her maiden name and I was and am proud she elected to take my last name also.

Scubie

Old 08-16-2010, 04:46 AM   #16

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dzscubie View Post
Goju,

Glass hyphened her last name when we were married. She did it mainly for work reasons but also because she is her own woman and is my partner not my property (No, I know that's not what you meant or even thought) I'm just saying that was what I think. I can understand why over history the woman took her husband’s name as he was there to take care of her, protect her and was the main bread winner in the family and it was important to keep the "family" name going. BUT as we as a people and society evolve and men realize that women are our equals and partners then we have to evolve and let them keep their identity if they so choose. I do not have a problem with Glass keeping her maiden name and I was and am proud she elected to take my last name also.

Scubie
Nuttin from nuttin, brother, but I don't recall seeing your last name on her return addy when I received some kindness from you two in the form of some beer cozies...

I'm not trying to start anything as I agree with you 100%.

As far as demanding that the woman take your last name...just wow. I feel it should be the woman's choice. I am pretty sure that the reality of the man demanding anything went by the way side decades ago. It is what it is and that is reality.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-16-2010, 04:47 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My wife had a life before we were married. She also had a career. We met in our forties and we decided she should keep her name and add mine with the hyphenation.

It works for us and frankly, I don't give it any thought.

Oh yeah, and we're 100% married.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 08-16-2010, 05:21 AM   #18

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

I know this isn't true in all cases, but many women who are professionals, need the recognition of thier own last name. I am refering to lawyers, doctors, corporate wanna-bes and such. Doesn't bother me one way or the other. When I got married, my wife chose to take my last name. I wonder now we are getting divorced, will she keep it or change it back?

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 08-16-2010, 05:42 AM   #19
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 10549 Times on 4555 Posts
Likes Given: 1692

Just thinking. My name is on my passport, Federal Firearms license, about 6 different explosives licenses, professional licenses, assorted IDs, military records, security clearance, driver's license, CCW license, etc ad infinitum. It would be a ROYAL PITA for ME to have to change all that.

I can understand why many women would not want to go thru that hassle. Just dealing with the IRS and Social Insecurity would be enough to make me pull what little hair I have out by the roots.

Old joke- Doctor's receptionist says Mr. Jones is on line 1- says he thinks Mrs. Jones has appendicitis. Doc picks up the phone, and says "Mr. Jones, I removed your wife's appendix 15 years ago. Have you ever heard of anyone having a second appendix?" Jones says "No, I haven't, Have YOU ever heard of anyone having a second WIFE?"

Old 08-16-2010, 07:07 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post

As far as demanding that the woman take your last name...just wow. I feel it should be the woman's choice. I am pretty sure that the reality of the man demanding anything went by the way side decades ago. It is what it is and that is reality.
It was her choice to marry me, and she did.

I didn't exactly demand it like that. I told her how I felt about it and after some thought she agreed.