Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > Hunting using your pistol?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2009, 02:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hunting using your pistol?

Do any of you use your pistols to go hunting? I was on the glock site researching and they recommended the G20 for hunting. I dont understand how that situation would go down. Would you run up on the deer like some hoodlum and just empty the clip on it? Do you do it tactically? Mafia style put it right behind the ear?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-06-2009, 02:50 AM   #2

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

To me there is only 2 semiauto hunting rounds out there. The 10mm Auto and the 460 Rowland that cane and JD are building. Other than that you have the 357 mag, 41 mag, 44mag. 357 maximum and maybe a few other like the power monsters 460 smith and 500 smith.

To hunt with a pistol like the (GAGGGG) GGGGGLock you want the 10mm and you want to be dam close like max of 25 yards.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:10 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
To me there is only 2 semiauto hunting rounds out there. The 10mm Auto and the 460 Rowland that cane and JD are building. Other than that you have the 357 mag, 41 mag, 44mag. 357 maximum and maybe a few other like the power monsters 460 smith and 500 smith.

To hunt with a pistol like the (GAGGGG) GGGGGLock you want the 10mm and you want to be dam close like max of 25 yards.
lol why does everyone hate glocks so much. lol what thrill would you get from hunting with a 500SW all you're going to take home is bits. Ok so it is possible to use a sidearm as a hunting weapon. I'll have to try that once.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:21 AM   #4

I use rifles to hunt with, but I always have a trusty handgun strapped to my side while in the woods hunting just in case I come across an aggressive varmint, snake or the unforeseen. etc.

Last edited by UnderFire; 05-06-2009 at 03:57 AM.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:00 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Handgun hunting with a "tactical" caliber is very challenging. It requires a hell of a lot of stalking skill. I've done it a few times myself, and got within range to take a shot, but never did, due to the animals not being legal.

If you can get within 25 or 50 feet of an animal and have the marksmanship skills to deliver a lethal shot with the adrenalin streaming, then it's a whole lot of fun. For me, though, the thrill of the hunt lies in the stalk and not the shot or the kill.

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 05-06-2009, 04:07 AM   #6

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
Do any of you use your pistols to go hunting? I was on the glock site researching and they recommended the G20 for hunting. I dont understand how that situation would go down. Would you run up on the deer like some hoodlum and just empty the clip on it? Do you do it tactically? Mafia style put it right behind the ear?
Throw a fully loaded ggggggggg20 at them and pray for a lucky hit.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-06-2009, 04:17 AM   #7

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I usually take my .45 with me when I go hunting but only use it for self defense (against stupid hunters who don't know what private property means) and for really close shots. My primary hunting weapon is a 12 gauge shotgun but will use the pistol to finish off a deer that is still alive after being shot with the shotty.

Last year I did this with a 12 point buck that my FIL shot. He was hit in the spine and using his front legs to crawl downhill. He didn't have the use of his hind legs because of the wound. I shot him with my pistol because a .45 round is cheaper than a Remington Coppersolid, which is what the both of us use in our shotguns. I shot him through the heart and then headed up the hill to get the ATV while my FIL field dressed him.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 05-06-2009, 01:09 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2583 Times on 1357 Posts
Likes Given: 199

I have hog hunted with a .44 Ruger SBH. 300gr Sierra SP's at 1200+ will do a number on big hogs. Probably overkill for Texas whitetails (they're kinda small). I have passed on relatively easy shots with a .45. I just do not think it humane to use on deer. Will it kill em? Sure. Will it kill em clean? I don't want to find out.
10MM with good loads are far superior to the best .45 ACP loads. 180 Gold Dots at 1300fps are plenty for deer out to 50 yards, if you can shoot accurately at 50 yards. I have taken Coyotes as far out as 100yds with that load.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 05-06-2009, 02:09 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I'm doing some squirrel hunting with my buckmark this year.

Old 05-06-2009, 03:06 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8385 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

I deer hunt Eastern Whitetail. Use a 357 revolver with a 10" bbl, and handloads (165 gr solids)

Please note- I am hunting in mountain laurel thickets, and 50 yds is a long shot.

That revolver and its handloads, from a sitting position, is good to about 100 yds on a deer. Most states will have a minimum caliber or energy level for big game hunting with a handgun. And yes, one in the boiler room WILL plant a deer. IMHO, the max range that you can hold ALL your shots on a 5" paper plate USING THE POSITION YOU USE HUNTING will determine what "Minute of Whitetail" is for you and that gun.

I have been known to squirrel hunt with a 22 target pistol. More for the practice than anything.