How will Affordable Care Act affect veterans? New VA website has answers
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How will Affordable Care Act affect veterans? New VA website has answers

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-09-2013, 07:33 PM   #1
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2106 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

Default How will Affordable Care Act affect veterans? New VA website has answers

This is for all the veterans, from the VA.

http://www.va.gov/health/aca/

http://www.airforcetimes.com/article/20130809/BENEFITS06/308090020/How-will-Affordable-Care-Act-affect-veterans-New-VA-website-has-answers

Quote:
The Veterans Affairs Department has launched a new website explaining the likely impact of the Affordable Care Act on former troops and their families.

The site addresses questions such as whether the law affects those already receiving VA health care (it doesn’t), who is eligible for VA care, and options available to uninsured family members.

Under the Affordable Care Act, veterans who qualify for VA health care — including all who fall into the Veterans Affairs Department’s eight health care priority groups — do not have to buy health insurance under the law’s requirement that all individuals must have coverage.

VA wants all eligible veterans who aren’t already in the system to visit the website and sign up.

“VA encourages eligible veterans who are not enrolled in VA’s health care system to take advantage of the world-class care we provide to the men and women who have served this nation in uniform,” VA Secretary Eric Shinseki said.

For eligible veterans, VA health care carries no enrollment fees, monthly premiums or deductibles.

According to VA data, nearly 8.6 million veterans are enrolled in the Veterans Health Administration. An estimated 6.6 million more of the nation’s 23 million veterans are eligible, but many have other insurance.

VA believes that roughly 1.3 million veterans are uninsured and may be eligible for VA care.

Nearly 1 million spouses and children of veterans also do not have health insurance. For them, the law created a health insurance marketplace where the uninsured can shop for a policy.

By law, U.S. citizens who do not have health insurance and do not qualify for government programs could face penalties starting in January. Annual fines would start at $95 for an adult, $47.50 for a child and $285 per family or 1 percent of family income, whichever is greater.

In 2016 and beyond, fines would rise to $695 per adult and $347.50 per child; and $2,085 per family or 2.5 percent of family income, whichever is greater.

The fines would be paid out of an individual’s tax return.

Federal and many state marketplaces or insurance exchanges are set to open for business on Oct. 1.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-09-2013, 08:20 PM   #2

Liked 40 Times on 33 Posts

Quote:
Federal and many state marketplaces or insurance exchanges are set to open for business on Oct. 1.
That part is inacurate. I think it's not ready at the federal level and the Dems are trying to delay and the Reps are trying to defund.
"Many" at the state level may also be overstated too, because only a few states are setting up exchanges. Over 30 have rejected the state exchanges I believe. Some are still undecided, and not ready to open on Oct 1st regardless. Obamacare is a big mess and a big mistake for our kids. At least the military was kept aside. The only other lucky ones are the "friends" getting waivers to opt out.

The military terminology to describe Obamacare is FUBAR (F'ed up beyond all recognition)
. Mossberg 500 12g
. Stoeger Coach 12g
RIFLES:
. Remington 700 300 WinMag
. Bushmaster M-4 223
. Ruger Mini-14 223
. Ruger 10/22 22LR (x2)
. Rossi 1892 Lever 357
HANDGUNS:
. Remington R1 & R1S 1911 45 ACP (x2)
. Springfield Armory XDm 45 ACP
. Beretta Px4 Storm 45 ACP
. Beretta 92FS 9mm (x2)
. Ruger Vaquero 357 (x2)
. Ruger LCR 357
. Ruger LCP 380
. Ruger 22/45 22LR
. Walther P22 22LR

Old 08-09-2013, 11:48 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1788 Times on 1171 Posts
Likes Given: 1553

Thanks for posting this Big, I draw healthcare from the VA and I was wondering how Obamacare was going to affect that.
“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 08-09-2013, 11:57 PM   #4

Liked 4795 Times on 2681 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

How many Americans Veterans will be disarmed? Obama has 40,000 armed IRS agents ready to enforce these laws. I expect to see the IRS agent disarm Veterans for their own well being. Watch this one very close.

Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM   #5

According to a new report, typical families would pay almost double under the Romney medical care plan than they would under so-called "Obamacare. Families would pay double under Romney healthcare plan

Old 12-05-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
Coffee! If your not shaking, you need another cup
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2106 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 4539

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouGram View Post
According to a new report, typical families would pay almost double under the Romney medical care plan than they would under so-called "Obamacare. Families would pay double under Romney healthcare plan
Name the report?

Old 12-05-2013, 06:19 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 854 Times on 518 Posts
Likes Given: 507

It will all eventally stop... this plan will not work for alot of Americans and most people will not pay the fines, you can't even get the welfare people to pay......what a joke this is.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:26 PM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 807 Times on 539 Posts
Likes Given: 51

at no point in time would I ever have thought "Man thank God that IED made me a disabled Vet" ,but Obamacare sure changed my outlook on that.

Old 12-05-2013, 06:46 PM   #9
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3474 Times on 1990 Posts
Likes Given: 1523

VA care is improving.

There was a time when you walked in the VA hospital and had to watch out for beds in hall ways.

One does not have to be disabled to use the VA. Only be a vet.

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)
Bigcountry02 Likes This 
Old 12-06-2013, 12:21 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 85 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl
VA care is improving. There was a time when you walked in the VA hospital and had to watch out for beds in hall ways. One does not have to be disabled to use the VA. Only be a vet.
There are financial restrictions (I.e., if you make too much, you don't qualify for free care) for general care.

The exceptions (any care, any time) are for theater Vets.

I signed up for VA care "just in case" and was rejected because of income. I'm a Vietnam-era Vet, but I was never sent overseas.