Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > This is how we got Duke the Dog

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2010, 05:30 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 15 Times on 6 Posts

Default This is how we got Duke the Dog

The family that this dog was adopted into had four members. Sarge, Lt. Linda, PFC Trent and little Glenn. The dog was a pet of another man human that was very sick and had to go to a hospital. The nurse human (Lt. Linda) could not bear to have the dog left alone at the apartment, knowing that the landlord would just call the dog pound and have him put away, so she put the dog in her car and took him home. And now we get the dogs side of the story.

"My master just laid there on the bed, he didn't move when I licked his hand. He didn't get up and take me outside. He didn't feed me. I was getting scared. I also was feeling guilty because I had to mess up the hall way. Then the door opened and the nurse human came in. She has been coming to take care of my master for years. I like her. She put that collar around my masters arm like she always does, but this time she went to the noise thing in the kitchen and talked into it. She seemed very upset. We dogs can tell when the humans are upset. Not too long later a red truck came and some men humans took my master off his bed and put him on another bed and put him in the red truck. I wanted to go but the men humans would not let me. Then the house was very quiet and the nurse human just sat there and petting my head. Then she got up and said that I was going home with her. That was alright with me, I was hungry and maybe she would have some food. When she put me in her car I was scared but she went back to the house and brought my bed and my toys and put them in the back seat with us. That made me feel better and I laid quietly on the seat as she drove.
We got to the nurse humans house and she took me into the house and there was another man human there. He yelled at me when I licked his hand and yelled at the nurse human. Then the nurse human said something to him about my master and he stopped yelling and looked at me a real long time. Then he said something that made the nurse human happy, and she took me upstairs and fed me. I decided that I would make the best of it, but that man human yelling was not good. I had a terrier friend that told me that when man humans yell they will hit you. So I kept a watch on him when ever he was in the room.
There were other man humans in the house and the woman human took me to them and told me their names. I like the Trent human, he had a little beard and long hair. He took me outside and I showed him how I could do tricks that my master taught me. He was so happy when I brought back a toy he threw. He called the big man human upstairs and showed him how I could do tricks. The big man human didn't yell at me, so he must have liked my tricks. For the next three days I was treated so well by everyone, but the big man human ignored me. So I decided to try to be nice to him. I would let him play games and fetch things. I brought my red rubber ball over to where he was sitting and put it on the floor in front of him. It took a while cause he just sat and looked at me like he was trying to make up his mind or something, then finally he picked up the ball and threw it down the hall. There may be some hope for this human, he learned that trick pretty fast. For a long time (in dog time) we played with the red ball, and I was having fun. Finally the man human set back in his couch and started yelling. I was backing out of the room when the woman human called down to him and shut him up. He then grumbled and mumbled and then got my lease and some of my toys and took me outside. I love the yard of these new humans. It is so big, and has all kinds of things to play with. I did lots of tricks for the big man human and fetched sticks and balls until my jaw was sore. But it did seem to make the big man human happy. Score one for me.
It seemed that I was just visiting this family until one day when the family tore up paper and threw it all over the front room and were laughing and happy. They each were opening boxes and holding strange things in their hands and had big smiles on their face. I don't know what they were doing but the woman human had a little box and she gave it to me. So I tore the paper off like they did and found a new chew toy in the paper. I love it, it makes a squeek when you bite it. Everyone seemed so happy and even the big man human was smiling and did not yell at anyone.
The man human Trent took me to a big yard with a fence around it, and I soon saw it had lots of dogs like me in it. There was a dog I remember from where I used to live and it was fun running and barking with him. A scotty dog came up to me and said. "I don't remember ever smelling you, are you new to this neighborhood?" He was very polite and I told him about my master and how this new family took me home. We talked and he asked me about my new humans. I told him that the big man human smelled like gun oil, grease, gasoline, sawdust and gun powder smoke. (don't lick his hands) The woman human smelled like food, spices, soap and had clean hands all the time. (If you lick her hands she will give you a beggin' strip) The other man human, Trent, was fun and liked to run with me and toss me things to catch, I like him the best. The woman human feeds me and puts clean water out for me, she talks to me a lot too. I like her too. The other man human was small and I can sense he is afraid of dogs so I just leave him alone. The scotty and I talked for a long time and then a big dog came up to us and I could see right away he was trouble. The first thing he did was push me and knocked me down. I didn't like that and I growled a warning at him. He laughed and said he could bite me in two pieces with one snap. I decided to use another trick my old master taught me. I can stand on my back legs and that makes me real tall. So I stood up and took a big bite out of the nose of the big dog. He yippped and ran around in circles. A big fat woman human came running over to us and was yelling FIFI, FIFI, ARE YOU HURT? The scotty looked at me and I looked at him. Then we both busted out laughing. "FiFi? your name is FiFi, big dog?" All the dogs in the pen were laughing and barking. The big bully dog slinked away with his tail between his legs. That was a memorial day and I made lots of new friends. All in all I guess things are working out just fine, thanks to the nice nurse human. If she had not taken me home I would be dead or homeless now.
Oh and the big man human that yelled at my house. He is not yelling any more and he calls me OUR dog now. I think I have a family at last.
Duke the dog.

The dog whisperer said that the dog was happy now and he would be a fine member of the family for many dog years. As I related this to the dogs family they all were happy and the big man even smiled. But I was not sure he believed a word the dog barked.
An Addenum to this story. The dogs master did not make it and died in the hospital, so we adopted Jake (his original name) and the boys gave him the name of Duke.
The end

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2010, 10:24 AM   #2

Default Wonderful

Sir; a wonderful piece. Thank you

Craig

♥ Exercise daily - walk with the Lord!

Old 12-08-2010, 11:13 AM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default DUKE is a classic name for a dog!

But, after about 2 yrs when I left the household my first dog, a beagle/ fox
terrier died, (Thankfully I got to spend his last day with him over the week-
end) in my apartment! After that, Pop got to choose his rescue dog that was
most likely a purebred beagle that had a very deep voice that sounded like
"DUUKE" & that is how he earned that name! My next one came when I
purchased my home in 1992 & even outlived my 15 yr home mortgage by
nearly 1.5 yrs! Goober was his name & now I have a purebred beagle named
Jethro that comes from a then retired breeder in 2008 that has bred beagles
that have lived over 19 yrs!

Old 12-08-2010, 01:24 PM   #4

Liked 21 Times on 7 Posts

We had Buster, a lhaso-pug mix, for nearly 18 years. We were living in San Antonio at the time and the dog belonged to an Army family that lived around the corner from us. He was maybe six months old when the family got reassigned and they just abandoned the little dog. My son had been friends with a boy in this family - so the dog recognized my son and followed him home. He told us how little Buster had been abandoned and we took him in.

He remained an integral part of the family until his passing in 2004 at the ripe old age of 18. My current dog, Onyx, was also a rescued dog. He was a 3 month old puppy when he was abandoned by another military family and left locked in a closet in their on-base house when they left. He was discovered 3 days later by an inspector nearly dead from dehydration. He was nursed back to health by a lovely lady that rescued abandoned dogs on the base. We saw his picture on the bulletin board at the PX and went to bring him home. He has been my sidekick and companion for going on 11 years now.

Word of advice from a grumpy old man - don't ever abuse an animal in my vicinity or you shall reap a reward...

Old 12-08-2010, 05:49 PM   #5

Default Dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwrednk View Post
But, after about 2 yrs when I left the household my first dog, a beagle/ fox
terrier died, (Thankfully I got to spend his last day with him over the week-
end) in my apartment! After that, Pop got to choose his rescue dog that was
most likely a purebred beagle that had a very deep voice that sounded like
"DUUKE" & that is how he earned that name! My next one came when I
purchased my home in 1992 & even outlived my 15 yr home mortgage by
nearly 1.5 yrs! Goober was his name & now I have a purebred beagle named
Jethro that comes from a then retired breeder in 2008 that has bred beagles
that have lived over 19 yrs!
When we first got Duke we had no idea what breed he was. The Vet told us he probably had some Dashound in him and something else. He is a short legged long backed. Tan in color. After we had him about a week someone came to the door and knocked loudly. Duke came up off the rug and let our a bowwwwaollllll. Bingo! Beagle. I used to have a beagle and I would recognise that bark anywhere.
Sarge

Old 12-08-2010, 05:58 PM   #6

Default Irish Red

The reason I didn't want any more dogs was my last dog was a beautiful Irish Setter, named Irish Red. He was an old dog when I got him (11 years old) but he lived to the age of 14 yrs. In the end his back legs wouldn't work and he would drag them along behind him. He still ate well and responded to us with his customary happy look and licking tongue. He was the only dog I had ever known that could laugh. He would cock his head to one side and go Heh Heh Heh. I loved that dog but I couldn't stand to see him in pain as he was. So finally after much soul searching I took him to the Vet the last time. That is why when Lt LInda came in with another dog I said NO NO NO. I hadn't had a dog for 15 yrs. after Irish Red. and didn't want to go through that again.
But then, oh what the heck, the dog had lost his master and would be put away by the dog pound and I didn't want that on my conscience either.
Sarge

Old 12-08-2010, 06:05 PM   #7

Default abandoned dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by NGIB View Post
We had Buster, a lhaso-pug mix, for nearly 18 years. We were living in San Antonio at the time and the dog belonged to an Army family that lived around the corner from us. He was maybe six months old when the family got reassigned and they just abandoned the little dog. My son had been friends with a boy in this family - so the dog recognized my son and followed him home. He told us how little Buster had been abandoned and we took him in.

He remained an integral part of the family until his passing in 2004 at the ripe old age of 18. My current dog, Onyx, was also a rescued dog. He was a 3 month old puppy when he was abandoned by another military family and left locked in a closet in their on-base house when they left. He was discovered 3 days later by an inspector nearly dead from dehydration. He was nursed back to health by a lovely lady that rescued abandoned dogs on the base. We saw his picture on the bulletin board at the PX and went to bring him home. He has been my sidekick and companion for going on 11 years now.

Word of advice from a grumpy old man - don't ever abuse an animal in my vicinity or you shall reap a reward...
I hear you Grumpy, And I will add abusing your kids or your wife to that. I was a cop for 16yrs and saw to much of that. I will anonymously kick their ass and then go home happy that another SOB got what he deserved.

Old 12-08-2010, 06:11 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I did the same thing after my first dog died. i said I'll never go through that again and did not get another dog for ten years. Ten years of love and happiness lost to avoid a month of grief. I know now that having a dog makes me a better person and is worth any sadness involved. I'll always have a dog; as long as I can care for it.

Great story Sarge.

"I think Congressmen should wear uniforms like NASCAR drivers so we could identify their corporate sponsors."

Old 12-08-2010, 10:03 PM   #9

Default Dog

Thanks Joe, I have had many dogs, some that were ordinary and some that were outstanding. And a few cats that I hated. LOL
I have another dog that I wrote some storied about I will post them too. His name was Terminator. That ought to give you a hint as to how the stories will read. LOL
Sarge

Old 12-26-2010, 10:17 AM   #10

Liked 5 Times on 2 Posts

Default Btw, Snapper was the name...

Of my first dog, a beagle/fox terrier mix that nearly died of a bad case of
worms & distemper when he was adopted. He survived & lived for 13 yrs!
That little pint-sized beagle was the best hunter I have known since Jethro!
Snapper could nearly out-run a California jack-rabbit & chase it back to me!
He got to eat his share of jack-rabbits, & absolutely loved his share of deer
meat even though, he did not get to attend our deer hunting exploits! He got
to keep Mom, Sis & my younger brother company @ our hunting cabin in Big
Bear CA!