How to talk with people that always want to be right?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How to talk with people that always want to be right?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-11-2014, 02:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 158 Times on 111 Posts
Likes Given: 171

Default How to talk with people that always want to be right?

Quick question, how do you guys deal with people who always want to be right? My two best friends act this way and I rarely ever(if they have ever even said it) hear them say "im wrong" When someone proves me wrong with factual evidence, I will admit I was wrong. This is not the case with my friends. Well debate anything from politics to food and even when Im right and I cite sources they will; change their argument completely, insist they are still correct, or say "yeah, you always gotta be right" How do you guys handle misinformed people who refuse to listen?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Grant me the victory over my foes and those that wish to harm me and mine. Let not my last thought be “ If only I had my gun” ; and Lord if today is truly the day that You call me home , Let me die in a pile of brass.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-11-2014, 02:31 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 195 Times on 126 Posts
Likes Given: 105

I laugh, and ridicule them. So I have been laughing and ridiculing people to myself a lot lately reading certain threads on here, since I don't want to get booted. I'd rather just read, laugh, and make jokes to myself. It's great. Fan effing tastic.

Old 06-11-2014, 02:32 AM   #3

Liked 9 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 150

You need new friends.Send them some comic books, Enroll youself in Adult classes, of which he, or they, couldn't conceive
Redneck, lunatics won't come within 10 feet of me now.

Dino from the Pittsburgh Rat Pack// Amateur Shooter; Professional Accumulator

Old 06-11-2014, 02:57 AM   #4
Proud to be an American
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 890 Times on 407 Posts
Likes Given: 418

Quote:
Originally Posted by beastmode986 View Post
Quick question, how do you guys deal with people who always want to be right? My two best friends act this way and I rarely ever(if they have ever even said it) hear them say "im wrong" When someone proves me wrong with factual evidence, I will admit I was wrong. This is not the case with my friends. Well debate anything from politics to food and even when Im right and I cite sources they will; change their argument completely, insist they are still correct, or say "yeah, you always gotta be right" How do you guys handle misinformed people who refuse to listen?

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk
A couple of years back I was embroiled in a heated conversation with a forum member who resides to the North of me about a firearm I was holding in my own hands. His knowledge was based on seeing his friends gun, mine on actually owning one. Now this is where humble pie comes in because Beretta offered the same model in three variants. So we were both right and wrong at the same time! Never ASSUME you have all the answers

The price of freedom is eternal vigilance.

People Like This 
Old 06-11-2014, 03:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 446 Times on 246 Posts
Likes Given: 897

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasquanel View Post
A couple of years back I was embroiled in a heated conversation with a forum member who resides to the North of me about a firearm I was holding in my own hands. His knowledge was based on seeing his friends gun, mine on actually owning one. Now this is where humble pie comes in because Beretta offered the same model in three variants. So we were both right and wrong at the same time! Never ASSUME you have all the answers
Assuming only makes an ass out of you and me

Does "Shall not be infringed" not mean anything to you?!

Airborne1 Likes This 
Old 06-11-2014, 03:10 AM   #6

Liked 136 Times on 94 Posts
Likes Given: 147

If you have friends that are always right and you tend to be a person seeking the truth, then my prediction is that you will not remain friends forever. People of similar ethics gravitate towards each other...the phrase 'birds of a feather flock together' is a manifestation of that concept. People of dissimilar ethics will in time part company.

BTW, the term ethics is to be taken in the context of philosophy. Ethics are situational...that is they vary depending on the current situation. This means it takes time and change in the environment for ethics to manifest themselves...that is why it is important to date before getting married!

Man once surrendering his reason, has no remaining guard against absurdities the most monstrous, and like a ship without rudder, is the sport of every wind.
-Thomas Jefferson to James Smith, 1822.

TLuker Likes This 
Old 06-11-2014, 03:11 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 572 Times on 333 Posts
Likes Given: 176

I have a friend who always has to be right. I'll call him Jim. My retorts generally start with "Jim, you're an idiot". The discussions get heated from that point on.

You don't have to remember the truth
NRA Member

People Like This 
Old 06-11-2014, 03:22 AM   #8

Liked 2605 Times on 1481 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Move away from them. Move on.

Otherwise you will find yourself sucked

into their destructive vortex.

Friends are supposed to exchange ideas,

and consider the viewpoint of other friends.

Friends should not be treating you the way they

treat you.

Old 06-11-2014, 03:26 AM   #9

Liked 4983 Times on 2413 Posts
Likes Given: 1586

I don't deal with them... Because I know I'm ALWAYS right!

People Like This 
Old 06-11-2014, 04:03 AM   #10

Liked 2007 Times on 1107 Posts
Likes Given: 1342

Quote:
Originally Posted by ratpacker View Post
You need new friends.Send them some comic books, Enroll youself in Adult classes, of which he, or they, couldn't conceive
Redneck, lunatics won't come within 10 feet of me now.
Hey Ratpacker, 38 posts in 2 years? Really? I think you are a little behind. You must have more to share than that.

Hey Beast, You will run into those people for the rest of your life. They are everywhere. Some of them will be your employer. Don't ask me how so many stupid people became managers. But they are definitely out there. Sometimes it is easiest to let them live in their delusion. They will never admit it anyway. This is good practice for the future. Dont tell them they are right. But don't argue with them over it either.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.