Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How to Sell Online?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-31-2009, 02:08 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default How to Sell Online?

Hi, I have a few firearms I have to sell within the next month. I live in CA and one rifle cannot be sold in CA. So I was looking at the online auction sites figuring I'd try to sell online to an out of state buyer and then ship to a FFL dealer. But it occurred to me, why would anyone send me the money for the sale before I shipped, since I'm not a store or FFL dealer? So the big problem is how to sell online and get paid before I ship the guns. I don't want to ship, until I get paid, or I may get ripped off. Is there any way to do this? Or should I just drive over to Nevada and sell the guns there. If I do this, I'm pretty sure I won't get a good price. I might have to take half of what they're worth. Thanks!

Last edited by kf77; 01-31-2009 at 02:10 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-31-2009, 02:55 PM   #2

This auction style site would get you the funds up front like Ebay, etc.

GunBroker.com Online Gun Auction

Old 01-31-2009, 03:40 PM   #3

Hi, thanks for the link. But I'm still wondering why anyone would pay before shipping, if I'm not a store or FFL dealer and don't accept credit cards. With credit cards, there's some recourse, if the guns are not received. But with money orders, there's no recourse. With checks, I'm unsure about? So I'm wondering if selling online through those auction sites would work, since the buyer would have to pay before shipping. Or should I just drive over to Nevada and get half the going rate from a gun store? Thanks!

Old 02-01-2009, 02:23 PM   #4

People pay before shipping everyday on Ebay, Amazon etc. I bought a '71 Chevelle (money up front) before it shipped.

Old 02-01-2009, 02:32 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

FWIW, I use auctionarms.com and gunbroker.com, and have for some years. Yes, have bought several firearms, sending money before I got the firearm. I pay by Postal Money Order. Jerk me around, and you get to meet the US Postal Inspection Service! While I DO look at the track record for the seller, everyone has to start somewhere. You CAN sell your firearm to a FFL holder there in CA (he just can't resell to a CA resident) or you could sell it on-line. Use a good pics, a good description, offer a 3 day inspect-no shoot return if disatisfied, and it should sell. DO specify in auction that you are NOT a FFL holder, since some FFLs choose not to accept shipments from private citizens (perfectly legal) Offer to include a copy of your photo ID for receiving dealer to log weapon in. IF it is a handgun, shipping will be pricy unless you have a dealer mail it for you.

Old 02-03-2009, 12:41 AM   #6

I'm going to try to sell the rifle the way you described. It didn't occur to me how important the pics would be and to offer the 3 day inspection period and a copy of my ID. I'm also going to specify USPS money orders only. I also didn't know it would cost a lot to ship the handguns, so I might try to sell them locally through consignment somewhere. Thanks for your advice!

Old 02-03-2009, 02:37 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 7609 Times on 3313 Posts
Likes Given: 1129

Rifles and shotguns may be shipped by US Mail, or by UPS/ FedX ground. However, unless you are an 01FFL (Dealer) you cannot mail a handgun, and they must go Next Day Air by UPS/FedX. And that makes it right pricy- about $65-$85.

Old 02-05-2009, 05:54 PM   #8

I tried gunbroker.com and they require a credit card on file to sell. I tried using a debit card, and after 2 tries they froze my account for a day. I looked on their site, and if you don't have a credit card, you have to mail a form into them, which they say they will process in 2 weeks (so 3 weeks including mailing time). In the form I'd be authorizing my bank to release account info (no problem) but I'd also be authorizing a credit check, which I won't do. I think this is completely overboard. I'm only trying to sell one rifle.

All of these site appear to require credit cards to sell. They don't seem to accept debit cards. Do any of you know of any of these auction sites where I can sell 1 rifle without a credit card? I'm fine with sending in a photo copy of my ID and a cash deposit.

Thanks!