How Often Do You Shoot? - Page 8
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How Often Do You Shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-10-2012, 05:43 PM   #71
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 212 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 116

Minimum is twice a month. I try to make it once a week. But alas, kids, work, other aspects of my life...they all come first.

Beretta 84FS .380 ACP
Ruger MKIII 22/45 Target .22LR

PWS (Primary Weapons Systems) MK114 5.56

Old 10-10-2012, 05:52 PM   #72
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5982 Times on 3130 Posts
Likes Given: 426

Pretty much every weekend. Used to be everyday in the 80's and 90's. Sometimes when the rain is pounding or its snowing so bad i cant see 25 yards downrange, ill go do pistols indoors at a local range. But i focus mainly on rifles.

I find the skill level needed to excel with a rifle at distance much higher than pistols.

I dont shoot as much as someone doing competition every weekend proffessionally but i shoot a lot more than the average. All my guns get range time even my ww2 1911A1 garand and 1903a3. I dont own guns that i dont shoot.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 10-11-2012, 03:15 AM   #73
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21994 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
"when you have been involved with a violent crime up close and personal as some of us have, your viewpoint may change."

Um, I have. It involved a man with a .38 revolver attempting to defend himself from an attacker outside a bar in St. Louis. The attacker took the .38 from the victim, then shot the victim twice in the chest. I don't know if the victim lived, or not. My guess is he didn't.

I also lost a friend when I was in Junior High School. He and another buddy were playing with his Dad's .357. Took a round right in his forehead. I'd call that violent. The kid's forehead didn't know it was an accident. He had been told by his Dad 1000 times to leave the guns alone. But kids, they act like kids sometimes, regardless of what you tell them.

I know there are bad guys out there and bad things happen. Obviously, the folks chiming in on this forum are much more concerned about that than I am. I'm a hunter, a shooter, but not a self-defense guy. My philosophies have served me well for darn near a half century. My hope is that everyone who carries has some form of training and a lot of self-restraint. No one knows how/if they will react when a life or death situation presents itself. Having a firearm can be a detriment as well as an aide depending on who you are.

Never make assumptions whilst lecturing another person you simply don't know, or know their history. Unless you are willing to be wrong. Peace, out
i am not being critical, but just saying i disagree with your for instances of personal involvement with a violent criminal attack. because you didn't know the final outcome of the victim shot with the 38, i can assume that they were neither a friend or aquaintance? and your friend being shot when playing around with a loaded pistol is sad and tragic, an accident, but not a violent crime. my definition of up close and personal, is you, your wife, your children, your parents, your brother or sister, and not just something you witnessed. that's just my assessment and my experiance.

Old 10-11-2012, 03:42 AM   #74

Liked 48 Times on 37 Posts
Likes Given: 29

I only get to shoot a couple a times a month, but always with my carry pistols. Am I as proficient as I'd like? No. But I'm not bad, and I take what I do seriously. I take offense to the prat you're talking about too. But we all know "that" guy... $3k 1911, custom AR, tacti-cool clothing, and EVERYONE else is a poser. Screw that guy. Hopefully the zombies/Obama voters get him first lol!

I love this forum. I used to graze several, but this one gives me just about all I need. Great place, and apart from a few (like the "hair product guy". You know who I mean, Viking lol), the folks here are great and take this seriously too.

Old 10-11-2012, 04:20 AM   #75
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 3651

Yep, It is a GREAT forum!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Old 10-11-2012, 04:36 AM   #76
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8810 Times on 5094 Posts
Likes Given: 11482

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Wow, I am taking a worse beating for my comments than Mitt did for mentioning 47% lol. Many of the responses? Less than civil. Apparently if you disagree with a majority opinion in this thread you are a "troll", "stoooopid", not a man, and don't love your family enough to protect them. Well played, all of you. In some senses, this type of badgering and name calling almost reinforces my point.

I wish I would have used the term "makes me a little uneasy" vs "creeps me out". That probably didn't translate well. It was not intending to offend anyone who participates or reads posts on this site. I happen to be if the belief that many who CAN buy firearms, and conceal/carry, don't necessarily have the proper judgement/wisdom of how or when to use them in "self defense". I am sure that does not apply to anyone here. But I personally know people who are of the mindset that they would LIKE to use their guns in self defense. I am VERY uncomfortable with that. And all the badgering and name calling in the world won't sway my opinion.

This forum experience has taught me a valuable lesson: I need to stay in the long rifle/ hunting/ sportsman section of this site. I fit much better there. I spent a valuable hour of my life that I'll never get back bickering back and forth with strangers on the Internet. My bad, lesson learned
OK, I realize that Chloe may not be looking at this right now, but I am the OP, and Chloeshooter, you offered your opinion above and beyond the scope of my question. Fair enough, not gonna tell anybody what to think, but y'all did that knowing very well which way the wind blows on the forum and had to expect that there would be some strong opinions that differed from your own. The bickering back and forth was only of your doing. You could have easily left out the last sentence of your post that led to it, and then you exacerbated it by responding in the same manner that you are critical of in your above post.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
Old 10-11-2012, 07:20 AM   #77

Liked 2050 Times on 1072 Posts
Likes Given: 392

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad

OK, I realize that Chloe may not be looking at this right now, but I am the OP, and Chloeshooter, you offered your opinion above and beyond the scope of my question. Fair enough, not gonna tell anybody what to think, but y'all did that knowing very well which way the wind blows on the forum and had to expect that there would be some strong opinions that differed from your own. The bickering back and forth was only of your doing. You could have easily left out the last sentence of your post that led to it, and then you exacerbated it by responding in the same manner that you are critical of in your above post.

If you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen.
I can't argue with you on that statement, Viking. 'Nuff said on this subject and this post.