Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How Often Do You Shoot?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-08-2012, 03:10 AM   #61
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3474 Times on 1607 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

I was going to jump in, but it appears he has made amends and Viking is talking subtleties.

His initial statement was asinine to say the least....
Old 10-08-2012, 03:20 AM   #62

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post
Well good for you, hope that works out OK for ya.

I live in a "safe" area. Crime still happens. My wife was the victim of a home invasion robbery back in 1960 when the lived right up the road form where we live today.

This home invasion murder took place very close by here in a "nice" neighborhood. http://cupertino.patch.com/articles/suspect-arrested-in-saratoga-murder-home-invasion-case

If my decision to own firearms for self defense creeps you out, are you OK with thugs brutalizing defenseless victims?
Also people who live in "bad areas" tend to not have the resources to just simply up and move like it's as trivial as moving a couch or something.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

People Like This 
Old 10-08-2012, 11:25 AM   #63
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1703 Times on 888 Posts
Likes Given: 341

Wow, I am taking a worse beating for my comments than Mitt did for mentioning 47% lol. Many of the responses? Less than civil. Apparently if you disagree with a majority opinion in this thread you are a "troll", "stoooopid", not a man, and don't love your family enough to protect them. Well played, all of you. In some senses, this type of badgering and name calling almost reinforces my point.

I wish I would have used the term "makes me a little uneasy" vs "creeps me out". That probably didn't translate well. It was not intending to offend anyone who participates or reads posts on this site. I happen to be if the belief that many who CAN buy firearms, and conceal/carry, don't necessarily have the proper judgement/wisdom of how or when to use them in "self defense". I am sure that does not apply to anyone here. But I personally know people who are of the mindset that they would LIKE to use their guns in self defense. I am VERY uncomfortable with that. And all the badgering and name calling in the world won't sway my opinion.

This forum experience has taught me a valuable lesson: I need to stay in the long rifle/ hunting/ sportsman section of this site. I fit much better there. I spent a valuable hour of my life that I'll never get back bickering back and forth with strangers on the Internet. My bad, lesson learned

Old 10-08-2012, 02:11 PM   #64

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Well, to be fair, you DID kind of get what was coming to you for the attitude. But, we do generally try to remain civil, and most of us have a forgiving nature, and I'm sure we all hope you are of the same mindset. We can all let bygones be bygones for the most part. There are very few active members here that I haven't argued with, and/or gotten into a flame war with. A few of those are even friends now and I text back and forth with on a regular basis.

Don't let this just completely shut you off. We all have to learn to be civil in what we say and how we say it, not just you. And it IS a constant learning process. I even told you to look at my balls. No one's perfect.

Old 10-08-2012, 11:12 PM   #65
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19482 Times on 11066 Posts
Likes Given: 49093

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
Wow, I am taking a worse beating for my comments than Mitt did for mentioning 47% lol. Many of the responses? Less than civil. Apparently if you disagree with a majority opinion in this thread you are a "troll", "stoooopid", not a man, and don't love your family enough to protect them. Well played, all of you. In some senses, this type of badgering and name calling almost reinforces my point.

I wish I would have used the term "makes me a little uneasy" vs "creeps me out". That probably didn't translate well. It was not intending to offend anyone who participates or reads posts on this site. I happen to be if the belief that many who CAN buy firearms, and conceal/carry, don't necessarily have the proper judgement/wisdom of how or when to use them in "self defense". I am sure that does not apply to anyone here. But I personally know people who are of the mindset that they would LIKE to use their guns in self defense. I am VERY uncomfortable with that. And all the badgering and name calling in the world won't sway my opinion.

This forum experience has taught me a valuable lesson: I need to stay in the long rifle/ hunting/ sportsman section of this site. I fit much better there. I spent a valuable hour of my life that I'll never get back bickering back and forth with strangers on the Internet. My bad, lesson learned
Chloe, i respect the fact that your are entitled to your opinion and will defend your right to your opinion even if i don't agree with it, but i will give you a hard time and bust your balls over it. i even respect you for the fact that you are sticking to your opinion even if it's in the minority here, but you had to know that an unpopular opinion was going to bring some differing opinions to counter yours!

when you have been involved with a violent crime up close and personal as some of us have, your viewpoint may change. some of us are able to be here from sheer luck that our time wasn't up yet, and never want to be in a position not being able to defend ourselves or our loved ones. personally i have no fear of going toe to toe with anyone, but what does scare me is not doing what i could have done to defend my loved ones, if i had been armed, so therefor i am.

you stated that there are some walking around armed and are probably not trained properly, well that's probably true. some of us here take it seriously and do try to stay proficient with our firearms. you stated that there might be some who are looking for a reason to use deadly force, well that might be, and those are poor representatives of responsible law abiding gun owners.

if i came on too strong and ruffled your feathers i apoligise. but i am the type of person to voice my opinion as well and i like a lively debate. even though i disagree with your stance and opinion, i do still respect your right to have it. my comments were not made to be personal, because we don't know each other well enough to for me to make them personal. and if you took my comments to be personal, i apoligise for that.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:12 AM   #66
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 102 Times on 62 Posts
Likes Given: 38

I usually go to the range several times a month. I really enjoy target shooting, though my main motivation for getting into shooting was self-defense. It doesn't matter whether you live in a "safe" neighborhood or not; I think it is naive to have the "it won't happen to me" attitude. Life is not a movie, bad guys do not play fair, and you really have no idea how long five minutes can be until you are in any type of life and death situation.

Old 10-10-2012, 01:45 PM   #67
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1703 Times on 888 Posts
Likes Given: 341

"when you have been involved with a violent crime up close and personal as some of us have, your viewpoint may change."

Um, I have. It involved a man with a .38 revolver attempting to defend himself from an attacker outside a bar in St. Louis. The attacker took the .38 from the victim, then shot the victim twice in the chest. I don't know if the victim lived, or not. My guess is he didn't.

I also lost a friend when I was in Junior High School. He and another buddy were playing with his Dad's .357. Took a round right in his forehead. I'd call that violent. The kid's forehead didn't know it was an accident. He had been told by his Dad 1000 times to leave the guns alone. But kids, they act like kids sometimes, regardless of what you tell them.

I know there are bad guys out there and bad things happen. Obviously, the folks chiming in on this forum are much more concerned about that than I am. I'm a hunter, a shooter, but not a self-defense guy. My philosophies have served me well for darn near a half century. My hope is that everyone who carries has some form of training and a lot of self-restraint. No one knows how/if they will react when a life or death situation presents itself. Having a firearm can be a detriment as well as an aide depending on who you are.

Never make assumptions whilst lecturing another person you simply don't know, or know their history. Unless you are willing to be wrong. Peace, out

Old 10-10-2012, 02:14 PM   #68

Liked 268 Times on 167 Posts
Likes Given: 1032

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter View Post
"when you have been involved with a violent crime up close and personal as some of us have, your viewpoint may change."

Um, I have. It involved a man with a .38 revolver attempting to defend himself from an attacker outside a bar in St. Louis. The attacker took the .38 from the victim, then shot the victim twice in the chest. I don't know if the victim lived, or not. My guess is he didn't.

I also lost a friend when I was in Junior High School. He and another buddy were playing with his Dad's .357. Took a round right in his forehead. I'd call that violent. The kid's forehead didn't know it was an accident. He had been told by his Dad 1000 times to leave the guns alone. But kids, they act like kids sometimes, regardless of what you tell them.

I know there are bad guys out there and bad things happen. Obviously, the folks chiming in on this forum are much more concerned about that than I am. I'm a hunter, a shooter, but not a self-defense guy. My philosophies have served me well for darn near a half century. My hope is that everyone who carries has some form of training and a lot of self-restraint. No one knows how/if they will react when a life or death situation presents itself. Having a firearm can be a detriment as well as an aide depending on who you are.

Never make assumptions whilst lecturing another person you simply don't know, or know their history. Unless you are willing to be wrong. Peace, out
I think we all have to some extent but I'm not going to tell stories because most folks think your lying anyway, If a child was killed by a firearm it's because an adult made a gravely stupid mistake and paid for it dearly, that won't happen in my case because mine are locked and/or locked up. They are however available to the adults, my wife and I. In the four years we've been at this house, we have had two separate home evasions/attempted robberies/rape?killings who knows, it took the cops 20 minutes to respond to the first one. I was able to thwart both events with my home protection of choice, which is the best tool available for the job, firearms.

We are gathering the resources to move as we speak.

The police cannot protect the citizen at this stage of our development, and they cannot even protect themselves in many cases. It is up to the private citizen to protect himself and his family, and this is not only acceptable, but mandatory. - Col. Jeff Cooper.

chloeshooter Likes This 
Old 10-10-2012, 02:36 PM   #69

Liked 246 Times on 168 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by chloeshooter

Ive seen a guy shoot himself in the face at the bar i worked, pretty graphic(357]. Moments before he was in the bar and walked right pass me. He was in his car when hr did but the fact that he waljed right pass me with it possible on him was scary.

Few years before i seen the after math of a muder, an ilder guy in his truck that had crashed into the tree,and gunshot holes all over the place.

Few years later i was burglarized and had everything taken. I kept all my serial numbers so it helped in retriving them. Soon after that i bought my first gun, a glock 23 gen 1

Old 10-10-2012, 03:01 PM   #70

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Every day. Here is today's shot.