Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How Often Do You Shoot? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-often-do-you-shoot-73851/)

Vikingdad 10-07-2012 02:32 AM

How Often Do You Shoot?

A thread in the shotgun forum got me to thinking, how often do you shoot? Do you consider yourself capable of defending yourself in terms of familiar with your firearm and accuracy? A couple of the members who commented were of the opinion that "most" gun owners do not shoot frequently, and that "most" forum members are pretty much wannabee gun owners, meaning that they probably don't own many guns and they aren't frequent shooters either. (He also said that he never gets any useful information on forums when he asks a question:confused:, I think there is always a lot of good advice here, sprinkled with a few smart-ass comments and some stupid information.)

As for me, I do own a few guns (not gonna list them though, but I will say that I own more than I need but not nearly as many as I want) that I shoot frequently. Sometimes I go shooting several days in a row and other times it will be a month of more between range trips. I also reload as well.

How about you all?

KG7IL 10-07-2012 02:46 AM

Pretty much whenever I want. The 100yd range is a few steps out the back door.
I find however, mending a fence or other chore seems more appropriate use of time.

CourtJester 10-07-2012 03:05 AM

Never as much as I'd like

Vikingdad 10-07-2012 03:27 AM

OK, so would you say that you are proficient enough to defend yourselves?

And not often doesn't say how often that is. Not often for me might mean once a month, or maybe once a week.

Axxe55 10-07-2012 03:41 AM

personally, i like to practice with pistols at least once a month if possibly more. rifles sometimes at least once a month, rimfires usually at least once a week.

many people buy a pistol for SD/CC and usually shoot a box of ammo at the range and call it good. i don't presrcibe to this theory in the least. practice makes a person much more consistent and familiar with their firearm.

vincent 10-07-2012 03:47 AM

Used to be once a week, now it's every other week with defensive handgunning drills, shooting proficiency is a perishable skill...

Now shooting shotguns is usually a weekly thing, we have a new electric clay thrower and it's too inexpensive NOT to shoot 12 ga...

I can step out onto my back porch and shoot .22's 'til the cows come home. I have an old satellite dish set at 55 yards and my only neighbor is stone cold deaf...(bless her heart...) so I can shoot some handguns back there too if I need to get my fix...

Dillinger 10-07-2012 04:00 AM

Your initial post offends me. Do you have a link so I can address said troll directly?

I handle by personal carry firearm EVERY DAY! I don't just "assume" that it is ready to go. I take it out of the backpack, out of the holster, and I spend time checking the load, checking the weight, and checking the sights on target with my eyes closed, every day.

I pick a target in the garage, I close my eyes, and then I draw down on that target before opening my eyes. It's a trick I learned from a very good friend who LIVES by that theory.

I shoot twice a month, with several weapons, depending on time of year.

I REALLY want to address that troll directly, because if thinks this group is a bunch of wannabe's...

vincent 10-07-2012 04:11 AM

JD...http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/pump-v-auto-home-defence-73524/

Forgot to actually answer the question...a resounding YES!!! I feel I am MORE than proficient enough to defend myself in any situation...

Vikingdad 10-07-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dillinger (Post 967134)
Your initial post offends me. Do you have a link so I can address said troll directly?

I handle by personal carry firearm EVERY DAY! I don't just "assume" that it is ready to go. I take it out of the backpack, out of the holster, and I spend time checking the load, checking the weight, and checking the sights on target with my eyes closed, every day.

I pick a target in the garage, I close my eyes, and then I draw down on that target before opening my eyes. It's a trick I learned from a very good friend who LIVES by that theory.

I shoot twice a month, with several weapons, depending on time of year.

I REALLY want to address that troll directly, because if thinks this group is a bunch of wannabe's...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XWhInhE6emE

Tell us how you really feel!

towboater 10-07-2012 05:29 AM

Over the last 3 weeks I put around 150 or so chunks of lead through my cap & ball pistols.
Shot around 100 rounds of 45lc through my SAA's
Shot a box of 50 through my CZ75b
And between me and my daughter shot around 400 22lr through different rifles.
Been a great 3 weeks.