How much land does a man need? - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How much land does a man need?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-01-2013, 04:58 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 8 Posts

^agreed 👍👍👍👍👏👏

Old 09-01-2013, 05:30 PM   #12

Liked 60 Times on 50 Posts
Likes Given: 81

What would be the minimum amount to hunt in safely? I'm not a hunter but I am curious as to how much one would need to live off the land

Old 09-01-2013, 05:39 PM   #13
Administrator
FTF_ADMIN.png

Liked 11030 Times on 4771 Posts
Likes Given: 1812

To some degree, it is a matter of where you live.

AZ, NV, NM, CO- well, 50 acres would be a start.

VA, TN, NC, SC- 10 acres would allow you to feed a family of 4. 5 acres is enough to still like most neighbors.

Every evening I say a brief prayer for the continued good health of the couple that own the place across the county road from me. 790 acres of woodland that they want left alone.

Misery was when we lived in a housing development in CO. We had what was considered a large lot, with streets on 3 sides. 1/5th of an acre. Houses were 7 feet apart. *shudder*

Now I have room for apples, pears, peaches, grapes, a good sized garden (including an asparagus bed) and my lady has plenty of room for flowers. Get most of our firewood managing trees on our property. Do not have to worry about my cat bothering the neighbors, or being run over by a speeder. Same for the grandkids.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #14

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

To be able to do what you like for fun you need around 100 acres. 100 acres is enough for one to make a living off the land if hard times come. 100 acres is enough to secure a loan if one wants to start a business. Once you get 100 acres paid for acquiring more land is much easier.
c3shooter Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #15
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8252 Times on 4249 Posts
Likes Given: 9505

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
What would be the minimum amount to hunt in safely? I'm not a hunter but I am curious as to how much one would need to live off the land
Live off the land? Cording to what you have on that there land! All land is not created equal and much of it supports nothing and cant. I have about 9 acres, most of its tillable if I chose to but for now, its lawn, Raspberries, Orchard, Grapes, Rhubarb and a small garden. We couldnt live 3 months off it at the moment but could ramp it up pretty quickly to get much more out of it if need be, we slowly doing that already.

Survival on hunting is pretty tough unless you own hundreds of acres of woodlands, fields and swamps so the best you can do is create great relationships with you landowning neighbors and hope they will let you hunt their land.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:41 PM   #16

Liked 91 Times on 67 Posts

I've been told by farmers that you need 1 acre of farmland per person. That 1 acre should produce enough food in 1 year to feed 1 person. That certainly doesn't take into account droughts, etc. But it is a good rule of thumb.
phideaux Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #17

Liked 1337 Times on 895 Posts
Likes Given: 857

That ^^^ sounds about right. Seems to me that farming animals, not hunting them, would be the better way to go. You could farm them on a lot less land, and you wouldn't have to go looking for them!

Old 09-01-2013, 05:55 PM   #18

Liked 2123 Times on 1352 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCody View Post
How big is a puppy?
It would depend on where you're looking.
Temperate, tropical, arid?
Also to augment your productive acerage you can purchase land abutting a Nat'l forest for practically unlimited hunting and woodcutting.
Why buy land when it's provided for you.
That's what National forests were created for-multi use services for the American people.
Also important to fight to keep it that way and not let the enviro weenies and anti gunners/hunters constantly change designations to keep everyone except college "researchers", tree humpers, frog lickers, and newt kissers out.
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #19

Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I whole heartedly agree with the above post.

Geography plays a huge role in how much space is needed to feed yourself. Water access is going to be the biggest issue. Especially where I am located. I had two wells dug on opistite sides of my property just for that reason.

We put up three Aquaponics sheds for fresh veggies and fish, we have an apariry of 300 bee hives, half a dozen geese for security, about 50 chickens, a bunch of rabbits and 4 goats for food.
Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 09-01-2013, 06:51 PM   #20
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1468 Times on 870 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottA View Post
As much as he wants.

Personally, I want enough to construct Hickock45's range and enough for a 2500' grass strip.
Seems like the right answer.

By the way what would be the biggest plane you could reliably get into and out of a strip that size, barring extreme weather or high ground level altitude?