Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > how many of y'all

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-26-2013, 03:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
Haven't done it, but what a great idea!

For your lighting issue, have you thought about a weapon light? It is a great "stun" for anyone to go from creeping around in near dark to 300+ lumens in their face, especially if you have a strobe. Will blind anyone momentarily. Try it, go into a dark room, close your eyes for a minute. open them to any decently bright flashlight.

Just an idea.

I like the idea of sweeping the house. Our car was broken into (for a measly 2.00 USB cord) a few months ago. It was around 1-2 AM, we are sound asleep and dogs start going nuts. Well this happens if a cat is crossing the street to the neighbors etc. I laid there half asleep thinking do I need to get up, get dressed and see WTF is going on. Mind you they do this 1-2 times a month and zero issues ever, and we do get up to check. We live in a decent middle income area, and in our city our neighborhood has the lowest crime rate. So the one time I don't then this crap happens.

Never hurts to practice, be prepared and toss good ideas out on how to do both.

QG
I actually have considered a weapon mounted light, but mine has no rail and I'm not going to go that route with my carry gun. And so, I've also considered a new gun with a rail, but as we all know...guns ain't cheap.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:42 AM   #12

Liked 540 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

I have several places I keep guns in the house and mentally plan what if's. Can I have a gun in my hand in 5 sec? I keep small flashlights around to for power outage during storms. Any place in my house I'm 5 sec from a gun in hand. I have several doors and closet spaces/doors for cover. I sleep with clothes on tho if I have to move quickly and go outside, plus 2 daughters that don't need a TMI moment. I'm thinking hard about getting a surveillance cameras that send movement notification to your phone or email, iPad or kindle.

Remember the battle of Athens, TN!

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

bluez Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #13
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 7725 Times on 4459 Posts
Likes Given: 9957

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Now I'm not paranoid. Well I am, but I prefer to call it situationally aware. I live in an almost completely crime free area.

I've done this a few times, just to try different scenarios and angles.

If someone busts in my back door, facing the road, I haven't been able to figure out what I'd do. I guess I'd have to make a snap decision and run with it. That would put an intruder right in front of my bedroom door, and directly in line with my son's room. Any miss would fly directly towards his bed, unless I could change my angle, or fire from a knee or prone.
I would definitely recommend a weapon mounted light with a pressure switch. Make a positive ID on the bad guy before you shoot him. Don't want to accidentally shoot a good guy.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:43 AM   #14

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

I have practiced a few times, and I have actually cleared the house before. (Random bumps make me pretty suspicious.). I try to use a variety of guns to see how they work in a situation, and have learned a few things doing this.

1) a pistol is definitely the easiest gun for me to clear a house with.

2) my AR is easier to maneuver than my shotgun with an 18" barrel.

3) a bolt action rifle is NOT a good choice for home defense.

4) This house's layout is to MY advantage for the most part.

Old 07-26-2013, 03:48 AM   #15

Liked 1653 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 1112

I generally don't run around the house naked. It makes the kids uncomfortable. Seriously though, I have heard the stupid cats make weird noises in the middle of the night. I have cleared my house for real a couple of times.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 07-26-2013, 03:51 AM   #16

Liked 6559 Times on 3635 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenGlamis View Post
Haven't done it, but what a great idea!

For your lighting issue, have you thought about a weapon light? It is a great "stun" for anyone to go from creeping around in near dark to 300+ lumens in their face, especially if you have a strobe. Will blind anyone momentarily. Try it, go into a dark room, close your eyes for a minute. open them to any decently bright flashlight.

Just an idea.

I like the idea of sweeping the house. Our car was broken into (for a measly 2.00 USB cord) a few months ago. It was around 1-2 AM, we are sound asleep and dogs start going nuts. Well this happens if a cat is crossing the street to the neighbors etc. I laid there half asleep thinking do I need to get up, get dressed and see WTF is going on. Mind you they do this 1-2 times a month and zero issues ever, and we do get up to check. We live in a decent middle income area, and in our city our neighborhood has the lowest crime rate. So the one time I don't then this crap happens.

Never hurts to practice, be prepared and toss good ideas out on how to do both.

QG
I have a neat little light I found on amazon. Between it, and the rechargeable batteries+charger, I spent maybe $20-$25 awhile back. That thing will BLIND you. 1000 lumens, and a strobe.

A little big to mount on my 1911 though.
light-knife.jpg   light-1.jpg  
Old 07-26-2013, 03:53 AM   #17

Liked 229 Times on 142 Posts
Likes Given: 386

Duct tape. 'nuff said

Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 897 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 363

My step-son and I have worked on this a number of times and continue to do so.

We decided where we would stand or move to to ambush people, which choke points cover the most entry points, where not to stand or move to avoid crossing in front of each other's muzzles or inhibiting our movement, and that we would use carbines and pistols with a preference for the pistols, given the confined nature of the house.

The layout of the house actually makes it difficult to get in/out quickly. I'm not sure if that's an advantage or disadvantage, but that's the way it is. The longest shot is perhaps 10 yards, if that. Our house is only 1500 square feet.

The interior walls are paper thin, but the rule is you don't shoot it until you identify it as hostile, hence a X300 on all the guns that will be used for defensive purposes.

We have actually had burglars (from the house next to us) in our back yard, so when the dog barks at 3 AM there's usually a reason for it. He generally barks at everyone, except me (strange to me, because my wife is his owner but I take care of him because she's allergic to dogs). Anyone that comes onto the property he barks at. He's just an 85 pound boxer, isn't any sort of guard dog and isn't any real threat to anyone, but he is a good alarm.

Old 07-26-2013, 04:01 AM   #19

Liked 9197 Times on 5054 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vikingdad View Post

I would definitely recommend a weapon mounted light with a pressure switch. Make a positive ID on the bad guy before you shoot him. Don't want to accidentally shoot a good guy.
Any "good guy" here knows that if they have to come busting in my door, they'd better be screaming "HELP!" when they do so. If a random person comes in needing help, I'm not a ninja, and won't be shooting without a verbal, so when I scream "WHO DA **** IS THAT!? GET ON THE FLOOR!!" it'll be on them if they don't comply.

Cold, but I'm not concerned with other people's problems when my door gets kicked in, I'm only concerned with who's doing the kicking.
Old 07-26-2013, 04:21 AM   #20
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 7725 Times on 4459 Posts
Likes Given: 9957

Quote:
Originally Posted by trip286 View Post
Any "good guy" here knows that if they have to come busting in my door, they'd better be screaming "HELP!" when they do so. If a random person comes in needing help, I'm not a ninja, and won't be shooting without a verbal, so when I scream "WHO DA **** IS THAT!? GET ON THE FLOOR!!" it'll be on them if they don't comply.

Cold, but I'm not concerned with other people's problems when my door gets kicked in, I'm only concerned with who's doing the kicking.
I am thinking more of when I was a kid and would sleepwalk. Sometimes I did some crazy sh!t, my dad said that more than once I scared the crap out of him because he thought I was an intruder and I would not respond to him. Good thing my parents didn't own guns when I was young I guess.

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Check out the Firearmstalk Podcasts with Vikingdad and DrFootball! https://itunes.apple.com/us/podcast/firearms-talk-podcast/id778007899

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.