Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   how many of y'all (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-many-yall-94451/)

trip286 07-26-2013 04:04 AM

how many of y'all

Have actually made dry runs in clearing your homes?

Anyone actually lay down in bed naked, and then run through a full scenario of a home intruder, or a suspected home intruder with unidentified specific location (such as, "maybe he hiding in the closet"?)

I seriously want to know. For real.

Who has grabbed their gun, or a blue gun, actually considered their "ready time", ammo capabilities, and practiced slicinng the pie at every door, and checked to see where they were most vulnerable, and considered the most likely hidey holes for a BG in their homes.

Don't be shy now, come on, let's hear it.

thatonespot 07-26-2013 04:07 AM

I swear to God i literally just did this. Got a derringer under the pillow and an 870 right next to it (big pillows). I reached both in seconds, but moving around mostly naked with a gun in my briefs was difficult. I should actually practice all the mechanics.

Vikingdad 07-26-2013 04:09 AM

Nope I never.

trip286 07-26-2013 04:24 AM

yeah, you should.

I didn't start this thread to make fun of anyone. I made a dry run through my house myself. I just see members occasionally saying "well doing this will result in this..." and I think, "how the hell do you know?"

My home is tricky in a way. I'm in a trailer. My room is on one end, my son's is on the other. A .22 will punch through any surface in this place like paper. I don't even have a .22, only bigger stuff, increasing the risk of over penetration in my house. Any one who breaks in, will likely do so from the middle of the house, at one of the doors or living room windows, which would leave me with a firing lane pretty much straight along a tunnel into my son's bedroom. Bad, bad, very bad juju.

And so I've actually practiced the situation myself to identify where I think would be the most likely point of entry (the door facing away from the road), the best place to maintain some modicum of concealment, and the best angle to avoid collateral injury.

I also accounted for the fact I sleep nude. So where's the ammo? Not up my ass, I can assure you. What about lighting? No security lights on the property to shine through the windows, and the light switches are not placed centrally.

That leaves me wanting at least one spare mag and either a light source, or incredible familiarity with my house as darkened for the night. I have a headlamp, but I don't consider that a viable option, because it adds a degree of complication and I don't exactly want a beacon on my head. Plus, if it gets jarred, it'll be a severe hindrance.

What about notifying authorities? Many say, "you investigate, get wife to call 911." Well, I'm a single dad, no wife at home. I'm engaged though, but I don't think Cinder would be the type to play damsel in distress, hiding in the closet while I take a walk and the kid is in the middle of "God knows what". And I'm not handling a phone and a gun and a magazine and possibly a lighting source all at the same time with no pockets.

PappaJim 07-26-2013 04:28 AM

With the wife constantly hearing things at night I don't need to "practice" clearing the house. I have to get up in the middle of the night and "check things out" at least twice a week on average. Its a good thing I only have a 900 square foot house, I can get up, check the house, stop by the bathroom to off load some coffee, and be back in bed in less than 10 minutes.

KG7IL 07-26-2013 04:29 AM

My wife just hates it when I run through the house naked. I suppose running naked with a gun would calm her down.

Vikingdad 07-26-2013 04:32 AM

My house is pretty straightforward. Central hallway with 2 bedrooms off either side. Hallway goes from the main entrance into the kitchen/living room. One seriously edgy dog roaming the house. The wife and kids wouldn't wake up if a bomb went off, and I wake up when the dog sighs. Shooting lanes are to the left and right as I leave the master bedroom.

trip286 07-26-2013 04:33 AM

Dude, if my kid can't see me, I ain't wearing clothes. If he can, I'll put on shorts.

And he's been away for the summer. This leads to, get off work, come home, stripping down on my way to the recliner. I'm not clothed again until I get up the next morning, unless I have to go out for whatever reason, trash, food, yard work, whatever happens.

QueenGlamis 07-26-2013 04:34 AM

Haven't done it, but what a great idea!

For your lighting issue, have you thought about a weapon light? It is a great "stun" for anyone to go from creeping around in near dark to 300+ lumens in their face, especially if you have a strobe. Will blind anyone momentarily. Try it, go into a dark room, close your eyes for a minute. open them to any decently bright flashlight.

Just an idea.

I like the idea of sweeping the house. Our car was broken into (for a measly 2.00 USB cord) a few months ago. It was around 1-2 AM, we are sound asleep and dogs start going nuts. Well this happens if a cat is crossing the street to the neighbors etc. I laid there half asleep thinking do I need to get up, get dressed and see WTF is going on. Mind you they do this 1-2 times a month and zero issues ever, and we do get up to check. We live in a decent middle income area, and in our city our neighborhood has the lowest crime rate. So the one time I don't then this crap happens.

Never hurts to practice, be prepared and toss good ideas out on how to do both. :)

QG

trip286 07-26-2013 04:38 AM

Now I'm not paranoid. Well I am, but I prefer to call it situationally aware. I live in an almost completely crime free area.

I've done this a few times, just to try different scenarios and angles.

If someone busts in my back door, facing the road, I haven't been able to figure out what I'd do. I guess I'd have to make a snap decision and run with it. That would put an intruder right in front of my bedroom door, and directly in line with my son's room. Any miss would fly directly towards his bed, unless I could change my angle, or fire from a knee or prone.