Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How many are/were Airborne qualified?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-15-2009, 06:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Airborne unit in Ft. Richardson, AK needed a Medic for HaLo training, (High
Alt. Low Opening) circa 1968 - 70. I'd done a few recreational jumps and so the unit trained me (w/o having to go to Ft. Benning, GA). I got the wings, the pay, and some jumps with the rectangular Para Commander.

Old 03-15-2009, 10:53 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Slamfire- 172nd Bde ?

Old 03-15-2009, 02:37 PM   #13

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgeddes View Post
12,000 ft? WTF? Let me guess, in the daytime, nice weather...blah blah blah...

We are talking 65# of parachute and 100# of gear, waddle to the door, hope for four seconds, and be prepared for combat when you finally hit the dirt/asphalt/trees/truck/bleachers.....

maybe in the deepest darkness of night too....
It was raining, high winds, and I had a 225# South African jump instructor strapped to my back. He show me the altimeter at 6000 ft, and the again at 5500 ft. He pulled the cord at 5000 ft. I guess I was suppose to pull the cord, although , I was too busy watching the ground come at me at over 150 mph or was it the other way around.

Doc says I will suffer from back pain the rest of my life from hitting the ground that hard, was it worth it, yes, will I do it again, maybe.

Last edited by hunter Joe; 03-15-2009 at 03:08 PM.

Old 03-15-2009, 09:35 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8406 Times on 3642 Posts
Likes Given: 1299

Ah, the good ole days- when your Walkman weighed 25 lbs, and the name on your running shoes was Corcoran! Remember one graceful (not) exit when I jumped, aircraft lurched, legs cleared door, butt hit floor, went out flipping forward. Think the jumpmaster used term "hog on ice".

Old 03-16-2009, 01:01 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ubergopher View Post
Not yet, give me time though and I'll be one of the (ch)Airmen with jump wings. Either as a TACP or if I'm lucky getting one of the few slots in my career field, even if it is just being a 5 jump chump.
Good luck! I always got a kick out of seeing blue Jump Wings. What is your current career field?

"'Did you ever wonder why we had to run for shelter when the promise of a brave new world unfurled beneath a clear blue sky? "
Roger Waters

Vote freedom, join the Libertarian Party.

Old 03-16-2009, 01:13 PM   #16

Liked 16 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Services, I'm a cook/fitness guy/lodging. For us to go to jump school is veeeeeeeery veeeeeeeeeeeery rare, but its been known to happen. Just like in the Army I'd have to be assigned to one of the units that has my career field and is authorized jump slots, basically either RED HORSE or something down in SOCOM.

"This is not about land or money...but the one thing that no man should never be able to take from another man: the freedom to make his own choices about his life, where he'll live, how he'll live, how he'll raise his family. "

William Travis, The Alamo: 13 Days to Glory