How to make a REAL cajun jambalaya
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How to make a REAL cajun jambalaya

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-05-2014, 09:43 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DeltaF's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Deep South USA
Posts: 2,949
Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

Default How to make a REAL cajun jambalaya

Having grown up in South Louisiana, I roll my eyes every time I see "jambalaya" on the menu anywhere else.

Whether it's a well meaning Yankee, a tourist stop restaurant in Florida or a novelty stand in New York, everybody claims to be making jambalaya.

And nobody makes the real Cajun jambalaya right, outside of Louisiana that is. They just don't.

My visit back home for Christmas has rekindled my tastebuds for some c'est ce bon Louisiana cooking. So tonight I'm making jambalaya. And in the spirit of our friendly Louisiana culture, I'm going to invite you into the kitchen with me. Laissez les bonne temps rouler!

Okay actually I'm lying about the culture thing. If my papa caught you in his kitchen while he was making his jambalaya he would stab you with his filet knife and take a hand off with his cleaver. I didn't learn his recipe for jambalaya until I was 23 years old and he had his first stroke. And even then it was hard to get out of him.

And this ain't it btw. His is more work but it comes out better and if I were to post it on the internet he would wheel himself down to the house and gut me with his one good arm.

This is my quick and easy family dinner recipe and it is still better than 98% of any "jambalaya" I've eaten outside of the pelican state. If you don't want to read a novel just the recipe, you can scroll down aaaall the way to the bottom of the post. But you'll miss out on the important stuff. And consequentially may end up as gator bait when you try to pass your fancy rice off as jambalaya.

Rule #1: Jambalaya MUST be started in a case iron pot or cast iron skillet. If you use Teflon, stainless steel, glass or any other non stick fake wanna be cooking utensil, alligators will climb out of the swamp and drag you kicking and screaming into the deepest recesses of the stagnate water they inhabit. They won't touch your jambalaya though. They will leave it to BURN! Most jambalaya chefs would say that the whole thing should be done in cast iron, but really as long as the base is done in cast iron you'll be ok.

Rule #2 NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER USE MINUTE RICE!!! Minute rice makes CRAPPY JAMBALAYA!!!! Using minute rice in jambalaya is like putting a baby bonnet on a nutria rat. It looks cute until the first bite. Even some self professed Cajun jambalaya chefs take this shortcut every now and then when cooking a big batch. The cook time of regular rice allows it to soak up the seasoning from the base. Minute rice doesn't do that. So those self professed jambalaya chefs try to compensate by adding a buttload of "Cajun seasoning." So what you get is really salty spicy rice with no flavor on the inside.

Rule #3 ALWAYS MAKE THE BASE FIRST! A lot of people skip the base. That's just stupid. It's like trying to gator hunt without a boat, or duck hunt without hip waders, or make a gumbo without a roux. The base is the most important part of the jambalaya. You can screw everything else up and still have something that tastes awesome as long as you do a good base.

You will need:

A pot. A CAST IRON FRICKING POT. Aluminum will work in a pinch as long as you don't mind contracting Alzheimer's later. And the jambalaya won't taste the same. It just won't.
A big spoon.
A big pot with a lid.
2lbs of chicken
2lbs of SMOKED sausage (really smoked, from a smokehouse, not that fake cheap crap on the shelf at Walmart)
Onions in a large enough quantity to produce enough CS to stop a riot in Cairo.
A couple of pickup trucks full of bell pepper, parsley, garlic.
(By the end of it all seriously for a batch this tiny you need enough to fill a 12 inch skillet to the brim. Which is about 1lb
3 cups of Zatarains rice.
A tow-behind seed broadcast spreader full of "Cajun" seasoning
Butter
Kitchen bouquet
Worcestershire sauce

1) Toss half a stick of butter and your 1lb or so of seasoning mix in the cast iron and let it simmer on medium for 20 minutes.

image-319171304.jpg

2) Slice the chicken into the skillet.

image-3561327567.jpg

3) Add a gargantuan amount of dry seasoning. I actually use McCormick's Montreal Chicken seasoning mix instead of the usual Tony's Chachare's. I also add a few other things at this point, but I'm not giving away ALL my secrets! Tony's and Montreal Seasoning will serve you just fine. Or you can use some seasoning salt if you're worried about it getting too spicy. 2 whole tablespoons MINIMUM here. I'm just warming up in this pic.

image-24128962.jpg

4) Mix it up and get it simmering again.
5) When the chicken is about half done add the sausage and continue to cook it down until the sausage starts to shrink a little.



image-4116170325.jpg

Is this enough? NO. Smoked sausage is the most important part next to the base you just made out of chicken juice and deliciousness!



image-798241444.jpg

Dats mo betta

6) Using the lid, strain all of the juice from the meat and vegetables into a measuring cup. DONT SKIP THIS STEP OR YOU'LL HAVE RUNNY RICE. If you use the same meat and same portions every time you should only have to do this once. I don't have to do this anymore, I know I get about 6-8 oz of juice from this mix in this portion size. If I do a bigger jambalaya I will measure the juice to be safe. Pour the juice back into the pot.
7)Dump everything into a bigger pot if you're using a skillet, add the recommended amount of water taking into account the juice already in the pot for 3 cups of rice. For me it was 5 and 1/4 cups. Bring it to a boil. Add Worcestershire and kitchen bouquet while it's warming up.

image-154619705.jpg

8) Add the rice.
9) COVER THE POT AND LEAVE IT THE HECK ALONE. DONT STIR THE POT. Scrape the stuff off the bottom every 10 minutes to keep from burning the bottom. That's it. Other than that leave it alone. Check it after 20 minutes. Once the rice is done, then you can stir it. Let it sit with the kid on the pot for another 5 minutes or so.



image-4156252545.jpg

10) Eat it.


image-90644473.jpg



image-646868739.jpg

A good jambalaya shouldn't have white looking rice. EVER.

This is a small batch of jambalaya.


image-3188193606.jpg

That's after 4 people tore it up for supper. But yes. It's a small batch.

A normal sized batch is cooked in a 200 gallon cast iron pot over a propane burner. I'm not exaggerating, google it.

__________________
Quote:
Nobody on this thread licked anybody's bodypart.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Last edited by DeltaF; 01-05-2014 at 09:46 AM.
DeltaF is offline  
6
People Like This 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 01-05-2014, 10:06 AM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
jon1992d's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Pittsburgh,Pennsylvania
Posts: 681
Liked 55 Times on 31 Posts

Default

I have never seen anything more beautiful in my life! I just screen shoted the whole process and printed it out exactly how you put it. Guess who's mother will be making it for dinner on Wednesday !! ;D

__________________

Have Gun....Will Travel

jon1992d is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:39 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeltaF View Post
Having grown up in South Louisiana, I roll my eyes every time I see "jambalaya" on the menu anywhere else.

Whether it's a well meaning Yankee, a tourist stop restaurant in Florida or a novelty stand in New York, everybody claims to be making jambalaya.

And nobody makes the real Cajun jambalaya right, outside of Louisiana that is. They just don't.

My visit back home for Christmas has rekindled my tastebuds for some c'est ce bon Louisiana cooking. So tonight I'm making jambalaya. And in the spirit of our friendly Louisiana culture, I'm going to invite you into the kitchen with me. Laissez les bonne temps rouler!

Okay actually I'm lying about the culture thing. If my papa caught you in his kitchen while he was making his jambalaya he would stab you with his filet knife and take a hand off with his cleaver. I didn't learn his recipe for jambalaya until I was 23 years old and he had his first stroke. And even then it was hard to get out of him.

And this ain't it btw. His is more work but it comes out better and if I were to post it on the internet he would wheel himself down to the house and gut me with his one good arm.

This is my quick and easy family dinner recipe and it is still better than 98% of any "jambalaya" I've eaten outside of the pelican state. If you don't want to read a novel just the recipe, you can scroll down aaaall the way to the bottom of the post. But you'll miss out on the important stuff. And consequentially may end up as gator bait when you try to pass your fancy rice off as jambalaya.

Rule #1: Jambalaya MUST be started in a case iron pot or cast iron skillet. If you use Teflon, stainless steel, glass or any other non stick fake wanna be cooking utensil, alligators will climb out of the swamp and drag you kicking and screaming into the deepest recesses of the stagnate water they inhabit. They won't touch your jambalaya though. They will leave it to BURN! Most jambalaya chefs would say that the whole thing should be done in cast iron, but really as long as the base is done in cast iron you'll be ok.

Rule #2 NEVER NEVER NEVER EVER EVER NEVER USE MINUTE RICE!!! Minute rice makes CRAPPY JAMBALAYA!!!! Using minute rice in jambalaya is like putting a baby bonnet on a nutria rat. It looks cute until the first bite. Even some self professed Cajun jambalaya chefs take this shortcut every now and then when cooking a big batch. The cook time of regular rice allows it to soak up the seasoning from the base. Minute rice doesn't do that. So those self professed jambalaya chefs try to compensate by adding a buttload of "Cajun seasoning." So what you get is really salty spicy rice with no flavor on the inside.

Rule #3 ALWAYS MAKE THE BASE FIRST! A lot of people skip the base. That's just stupid. It's like trying to gator hunt without a boat, or duck hunt without hip waders, or make a gumbo without a roux. The base is the most important part of the jambalaya. You can screw everything else up and still have something that tastes awesome as long as you do a good base.

You will need:

A pot. A CAST IRON FRICKING POT. Aluminum will work in a pinch as long as you don't mind contracting Alzheimer's later. And the jambalaya won't taste the same. It just won't.
A big spoon.
A big pot with a lid.
2lbs of chicken
2lbs of SMOKED sausage (really smoked, from a smokehouse, not that fake cheap crap on the shelf at Walmart)
Onions in a large enough quantity to produce enough CS to stop a riot in Cairo.
A couple of pickup trucks full of bell pepper, parsley, garlic.
(By the end of it all seriously for a batch this tiny you need enough to fill a 12 inch skillet to the brim. Which is about 1lb
3 cups of Zatarains rice.
A tow-behind seed broadcast spreader full of "Cajun" seasoning
Butter
Kitchen bouquet
Worcestershire sauce

1) Toss half a stick of butter and your 1lb or so of seasoning mix in the cast iron and let it simmer on medium for 20 minutes.

Attachment 131941

2) Slice the chicken into the skillet.

Attachment 131942

3) Add a gargantuan amount of dry seasoning. I actually use McCormick's Montreal Chicken seasoning mix instead of the usual Tony's Chachare's. I also add a few other things at this point, but I'm not giving away ALL my secrets! Tony's and Montreal Seasoning will serve you just fine. Or you can use some seasoning salt if you're worried about it getting too spicy. 2 whole tablespoons MINIMUM here. I'm just warming up in this pic.

Attachment 131943

4) Mix it up and get it simmering again.
5) When the chicken is about half done add the sausage and continue to cook it down until the sausage starts to shrink a little.



Attachment 131944

Is this enough? NO. Smoked sausage is the most important part next to the base you just made out of chicken juice and deliciousness!



Attachment 131945

Dats mo betta

6) Using the lid, strain all of the juice from the meat and vegetables into a measuring cup. DONT SKIP THIS STEP OR YOU'LL HAVE RUNNY RICE. If you use the same meat and same portions every time you should only have to do this once. I don't have to do this anymore, I know I get about 6-8 oz of juice from this mix in this portion size. If I do a bigger jambalaya I will measure the juice to be safe. Pour the juice back into the pot.
7)Dump everything into a bigger pot if you're using a skillet, add the recommended amount of water taking into account the juice already in the pot for 3 cups of rice. For me it was 5 and 1/4 cups. Bring it to a boil. Add Worcestershire and kitchen bouquet while it's warming up.

Attachment 131946

8) Add the rice.
9) COVER THE POT AND LEAVE IT THE HECK ALONE. DONT STIR THE POT. Scrape the stuff off the bottom every 10 minutes to keep from burning the bottom. That's it. Other than that leave it alone. Check it after 20 minutes. Once the rice is done, then you can stir it. Let it sit with the kid on the pot for another 5 minutes or so.



Attachment 131947

10) Eat it.


Attachment 131948



Attachment 131949

A good jambalaya shouldn't have white looking rice. EVER.

This is a small batch of jambalaya.


Attachment 131950

That's after 4 people tore it up for supper. But yes. It's a small batch.

A normal sized batch is cooked in a 200 gallon cast iron pot over a propane burner. I'm not exaggerating, google it.

Fine......I will bring the beer.
__________________

"Feuer Frei!"

Jagermeister is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:44 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SB777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 397
Liked 274 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default

Thanks for the recipe Delta. I never had a true Cajun jambalaya but have had what's called jambalaya in the northeast and that includes shrimp in the recipe. Anything special about the chicken pieces? Do you just use chicken breast or cut up legs and thigh meat also? I may try a batch this afternoon. Got a big cast iron pot looking for something to do.

__________________

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

SB777 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 10:50 AM   #5
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,468
Liked 6143 Times on 3043 Posts
Likes Given: 6519

Default

That looks delicious, nothing like the Mcd's happy meal Jambalaya they serve in places round here!

I gotta say, Cajun cookin looks like scrambled innards but it tastes so good if its done right!


Justin Wilson taught us all that there was this whole different country in the bayous down south called "Cajun Country". About the only cooking show that has ever held my attention for more than about 5 seconds (9 year old boys didnt watch cooking shows when I was a kid, unless their Moms did). He was awesome, little wine for the gumbo, little more wine for Justin, a fart here and a burp there to keep things interesting! No fancy cookware, no Barefoot Contessa (I dont like that phony bitch whatsoever), just a half hour of woohooweee, coookin and yum eatin.

He really did enjoy himself, Im guessing he couldnt drive legally after shooting a couple of his shows, (Drank almost as much "Sauce" as he made!
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is online now  
3
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:04 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
John_Deer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 5,194
Liked 1615 Times on 1106 Posts
Likes Given: 567

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by SB777 View Post
Thanks for the recipe Delta. I never had a true Cajun jambalaya but have had what's called jambalaya in the northeast and that includes shrimp in the recipe. Anything special about the chicken pieces? Do you just use chicken breast or cut up legs and thigh meat also? I may try a batch this afternoon. Got a big cast iron pot looking for something to do.
The chicken is just a filler when you add smoked sausage. Legs and thighs work just fine. It wasn't that long ago that every community in Acadiana had their own smokehouse that sold boxes of smoked sausage at a good price. It seems like every year another smokehouse closes.
__________________

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

John_Deer is offline  
SB777 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:10 AM   #7
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
danf_fl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: LA (Lower Alabama),FL
Posts: 10,274
Liked 2893 Times on 1668 Posts
Likes Given: 1239

Default

Let the good times roll!

Heck, I introduced the wife to real gumbo when we were at Barksdale. She liked it (except the okra). So she started making gumbo (sans okra), but added the german touch of (and don't ask me why) using brussel sprouts.

__________________

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

danf_fl is offline  
WebleyFosbery38 Likes This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #8
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
WebleyFosbery38's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Irish Settlement CNY
Posts: 5,468
Liked 6143 Times on 3043 Posts
Likes Given: 6519

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by danf_fl View Post
Let the good times roll!

Heck, I introduced the wife to real gumbo when we were at Barksdale. She liked it (except the okra). So she started making gumbo (sans okra), but added the german touch of (and don't ask me why) using brussel sprouts.
lemme get this straight, Likes Little nasty bitter cabbages but doesnt like Okra? Thats completely Gespunterflect! (German for I dont speak German) Hmmmm, sounds like my wife, she loves those little fart producing green turd balls. I like Okra but I dont have much use for Brussels! If Im having Cabbage, it should be Sour or with Ham/ Corned Beef, dont spare the Beeno!
__________________
WebleyFosbery38 is online now  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:39 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Jagermeister's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Germany
Posts: 6,815
Liked 3861 Times on 2305 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Default

Ok, I even asked my wife about "Gespunterflect".......

__________________

"Feuer Frei!"

Jagermeister is offline  
2
People Like This 
Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2014, 11:46 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
SB777's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2010
Posts: 397
Liked 274 Times on 169 Posts
Likes Given: 291

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
...It seems like every year another smokehouse closes.
That's a shame. There are a few in my location and one that puts out several excellent products. A bit more expensive then other mass produced brands found in the super stores but, of course, you get what you pay for.
__________________

"To sit back hoping that someday, someway, someone will make things right is to go on feeding the crocodile, hoping he will eat you last--but eat you he will."

Ronald Reagan

SB777 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
The Cajun Dictionary Ruger_Nut The Club House 12 02-12-2013 04:51 AM
Cajun Pawn Stars Tackleberry1 Blackpowder & Musket 25 11-22-2012 08:15 AM
Lay off Cajun Jokes aslocumb The Club House 8 10-17-2008 06:03 PM