How to get wife onboard?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How to get wife onboard?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2013, 09:57 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 541 Times on 329 Posts
Likes Given: 215

Default How to get wife onboard?

Some of y'all probably have to deal with this, some not. I am about to be married in a little over a month. My future wife is not afraid of guns and she has shot before, she is actually a good shot, and she recently got her CHL with me (although it was "against her will" haha). She really doesn't plan on ever carrying a gun. To her, guns are all the same. One gun fits all.

But to me they are a hobby and fun to shoot. They have different uses. I want to buy an AR-15 and a 12ga pump shotgun for home defense. Now we have the money, and technically I could still buy it with "my" money since we aren't one yet, but I would feel terrible to go behind her back like that. Plus I caught a lot of flack when I bought an inexpensive pistol a few months ago without telling her first.

I want to get these guns because 1) I have always wanted them 2) I am in the military and I want her to have something easier to handle then a pistol for at home. Plus, if I have both of my pistols with me then her only option right now is the .270 or a .22LR. Neither is optimal!

So what kind of advice do y'all have for talking to a significant other to have a conversation about this? Any good tips or one liners?

Practice doesn't make perfect, it make permanent.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-17-2013, 10:28 PM   #2
Retired
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2878 Times on 1662 Posts
Likes Given: 1236

"What? This? Oh, I had that before we got married! Mom and Dad kept it for me."

This will work for the first 3 years. After that, she might think that you are buying guns behind her back.

Amendment II:
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed."

Life Member NRA
Life Member NAHC
Former President of the ECPT (Eifel Combat Pistol Team)

axxe55 Likes This 
Old 04-17-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

In the larger picture purchasing firearms for home defense IS in her best interest, as far as safety goes. I would imagine if she'd agree having seen the big picture, the weight of her argument (..buying behind her back) would lose force. Congratulations on the upcoming marriage.

Old 04-17-2013, 10:36 PM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

haha. Unfortunately she is a little more bright than that. She pretty well knows what I got and ain't got.

When I hear a Liberal say "I can speak for gun owners because I own a shotgun" I just want to scream "Well I can speak for vegetarians because I like lettuce on my cheeseburger!"

Old 04-17-2013, 10:39 PM   #5

Liked 13 Times on 10 Posts

Bring it up as an investment. Use the current inflation as an example. Precious metals fluctuate in price, but firearms don't depreciate much and always have a quick resale value. Show her prices 8 months ago compared to current. My fiance supports 100% knowing that what is in our safe could potentially keep us on our toes for over a year if we lost our jobs. Not only that, our world doesn't seem to be getting any more comfortable for the people. Some invest in silver, not me. You can't eat silver, and unless you have a really good throwing arm, you can't use it to hunt.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1786 Times on 1170 Posts
Likes Given: 1539

Have her lean way over the side and then really rock the boat hard...Oh you said get her onboard, not overboard...my bad!

OT PanBaccha's line of thought is probably your best bet.

“Somebody has to speak for these people. Y'all got on this boat for different reasons, but y'all come to the same place. So now I'm asking more of you than I have before. Maybe all. Sure as I know anything, I know this—they will try again. Maybe on another world, maybe on this very ground swept clean. A year from now, ten? They'll swing back to the belief that they can make people...better. And I do not hold to that. So no more runnin'. I aim to misbehave.” Mal Reynolds Serenity/Firefly

Old 04-17-2013, 11:49 PM   #7

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

My girl is the same way. I just tell her how important it is to me. She buys clothes every other day, I buy guns when I have the money. As long as you arent going into debt i think its reasonable. I save a little each check then buy when I have enough. If the woman says no no way I would be looking for one that supports your interests, or at least doesn't say no to you like a parent. Stand your ground, where the pants. I hope it doesnt get that far.

Old 04-17-2013, 11:53 PM   #8

Liked 62 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 71

Or I just pulled this one...I told the woman every day I don't buy a can of chew I get 5 dollars to spend on my hobbies. Day 1 down 5 in my pocket. We will see how long it lasts.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:00 AM   #9

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

U r already ahead of the game with this lady. Truly. U don't NEED the AR or Mossberg 500 Field/Security Combo tomorrow. U have a lifetime together -- may it be a long one and I hope your first child will be a masculine child. Get your AR for you anniversary (but buy the mags as soon as the price comes down which'll be in a few weeks). And remember: you can act like a man!

Last edited by HockaLouis; 04-18-2013 at 12:05 AM.

Old 04-18-2013, 12:18 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Thanks for all the great advice. I know I could just go out an buy the guns and I would in my opinion be well within my rights. However I am trying to start this marriage off right and include her and her opinions in big decisions, especially with money. It's about trust and not going behind her back. So I think I am going to play the security card and maybe the investment card.