How firearms are designed - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How firearms are designed

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-29-2013, 01:30 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

The newest guns are, or will be, miniaturizations of guided ‘missiles’. They will fire (launch?) ‘smart bullets’. I’d guess somebody somewhere is working on the technology to make a smart bullet that can be programed with the target’s cell phone number, or picture, or city of residence, or SS number, or something(s), perhaps even their likes and dislikes*, and it will find the target.

What's saved us from this is the price : performance ratio of traditional firearms is hard to beat, even with the current ammo price madness.

*“Wanted to wound or kill: 5’ 9”, 167 lb.,47 year old white male named John Smith. Must like terrorism, IEDs, long walks on the beach, and have fanatical homicidal tendencies; Sought by a brand new & inexperienced .50 caliber explosive bullet that’s never been used. Please reply in confidence to SEAL Team Six. Discretion assured.”

Last edited by Vincine; 10-29-2013 at 08:14 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 03:05 PM   #12

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

That really bothers me. When they program shotguns to seek and destroy "Pheasants" it will be a dark day. That means thousands of hard working Setters, Pointers and other bird dogs will be unemployed. What will they do?

Sorry fellows no work for you.

2-gordons.jpg  

Last edited by nitestalker; 10-29-2013 at 03:07 PM.
People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 03:27 PM   #13

Liked 1737 Times on 897 Posts
Likes Given: 1338

Quote:
Originally Posted by nitestalker View Post
. . . . When they program shotguns to seek and destroy "Pheasants" it will be a dark day. . . .
We should hope whoever programs those shot shells doesn’t make a typo and drop the ‘h’.
People Like This 
Old 10-29-2013, 11:00 PM   #14
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2731 Times on 1430 Posts
Likes Given: 230

[QUOTE=Mercator;1416650]
Louis Schmeisser was interned in East Germany, then taken to Russia. He was eventually allowed to return to West Germany. He never uttered a word about what he had done for the AK project. Chances are, he was told not to talk by the KGB, and most likely signed off as a condition of his release. Kalashnikov has not been helpful either. All he ever said was that Schmeisser "participated".

QUOTE]

Sorry, but Louis Schmeisser died in 1917. It was, in fact, his son Hugo who invented the AK-47.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 10-29-2013, 11:08 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1931 Times on 1338 Posts
Likes Given: 988

[quote=robocop10mm;1417251]

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercator View Post
Louis Schmeisser was interned in East Germany, then taken to Russia. He was eventually allowed to return to West Germany. He never uttered a word about what he had done for the AK project. Chances are, he was told not to talk by the KGB, and most likely signed off as a condition of his release. Kalashnikov has not been helpful either. All he ever said was that Schmeisser "participated".

QUOTE]

Sorry, but Louis Schmeisser died in 1917. It was, in fact, his son Hugo who invented the AK-47.
So accurate was the first name correction, now I am sorry you had more to say

Old 10-29-2013, 11:33 PM   #16

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 631

Quote:
I think we are all done with any new gun designs other than cosmetic or very simple redesigns.
Look at military rifles today, they are 50 year old designs. When they talk about military guns for the 'future soldier' they are just adding gadgets to basically today's guns. The Glock wasn't really a big design change, just it incorporated plastic in the manufacture. 'New' guns of the last 25 years are only improvements or cosmetic changes. Any really new guns have been flops. Remington's Electric model 700, several caseless designs, the Gyro Jet guns, so what is new?
Often a 'new' gun can be traced back to find it is a simple redesign of a 75 year old gun.
You're probably right. I think , if you want to "design" a new gun, as it were, creativeness, mechanical ability, and possibly a limited knowledge of firearms might come in handy. Oh yeah, deep pockets couldn't hurt, either.
Old 10-30-2013, 01:41 AM   #17

Liked 4790 Times on 2679 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Must have deep pockets? Which one of the successful arms inventors were wealthy? The inventors were not rich. Some of them sold their inventions and became wealthy. Colt failed many times and died young. Browning was the son of a Mormon gun smith in Salt Lake City. They lived in a commune. E. Remington ran a small forge and sold barrels. Spencer and Hawkens went broke. Winchester was a woolen manufacturer never invented a firearm.

Old 10-30-2013, 10:08 AM   #18

Liked 982 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 631

I'm talking about now, currently. And I didn't say "must", I said "couldn't hurt".

Old 10-30-2013, 11:59 AM   #19
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6134 Times on 3038 Posts
Likes Given: 6513

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
The newest guns are, or will be, miniaturizations of guided ‘missiles’. They will fire (launch?) ‘smart bullets’. I’d guess somebody somewhere is working on the technology to make a smart bullet that can be programed with the target’s cell phone number, or picture, or city of residence, or SS number, or something(s), perhaps even their likes and dislikes*, and it will find the target.

What's saved us from this is the price : performance ratio of traditional firearms is hard to beat, even with the current ammo price madness.

*“Wanted to wound or kill: 5’ 9”, 167 lb.,47 year old white male named John Smith. Must like terrorism, IEDs, long walks on the beach, and have fanatical homicidal tendencies; Sought by a brand new & inexperienced .50 caliber explosive bullet that’s never been used. Please reply in confidence to SEAL Team Six. Discretion assured.”
I doubt the simple and complex firearms designs of centuries can be much improved by anything short of what your predicting. I agree with ya Vincine, what is to come is star wars stuff and with the creativity of the Human Mind as our only barrier, you never know who will invent what. Lets see how they regulate the battery life of a plasma spitter made out of parts from kids toys! "You can only have 7 one second blasts per battery by law"

Old 10-30-2013, 12:16 PM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1767 Times on 988 Posts
Likes Given: 1302

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincine View Post
We should hope whoever programs those shot shells doesn’t make a typo and drop the ‘h’.
Can you imagine a projectile programmed by Microsoft? It would get halfway to the target and fall out of the sky for absolutely no reason. You would then need to push safety, trigger, safety, clear the chambers, reload, and refire.