Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How firearms are designed (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-firearms-designed-99563/)

JayCody 10-27-2013 02:57 AM

How firearms are designed

I was reading about how gaston glock designed the glock pistol without any prior firearms experience and how mikhail Kalashnikov designed the Ak47 rifle without much firearms experience and I am wondering how someone with little firearms knowledge could design a reliable firearm being that firearms are complex. Anyone know how a firearm is designed?

nitestalker 10-27-2013 03:09 AM

1 Attachment(s)
The Russians only picked up German STG-44 Assault "Pistols" as listed by the German Army. The Germans shortened their 8x57 military rifle round for this rifle.
The Russians copied the Nazi STG-44 and shortened their 7.62 Mosin Nagant round for their AK-47. The Russian also stole all the "Flush" tolets in German. They took them to Russia by the millions. The Russians did not have running water.:eek:

The German STG-44 assault "Pistol".:)

hiwall 10-27-2013 03:41 AM

Ronnie Barrett designed his rifles and he was a photographer if I remember right.
Are firearms complex? look at a Glock it does not have that many parts. Sam Colt made a wooden revolver while out on a ship in the ocean. people first think of something and then tinker with the idea for awhile then try to build it.

Axxe55 10-27-2013 04:43 AM

and a lot of firearms are simply evolutionary changes to what was there before. look at bolt action rifles. most of their changes happened over the course of many years. revolvers, not a lot of huge changes even over the last hundred years or so. IMO, some of the biggest changes in firearms comes from the materials used to make them.

Mercator 10-29-2013 03:58 AM

According to Paul Barrett in his recent book "Glock", Mr Glock was not as much a hands on designer as a daring entrepreneur who hired the right people to materialize his ideas. Many innovations are done by the outsiders who are not weighed down by the knowledge of limitations.

Kalashnikov was a different animal. He was very much hands on. He in fact submitted his first "improvement" even before WW2, and was talent spotted by General Zhukov himself (the future captor of Berlin) He was self educated and probably natural at what he did, not unlike JMB himself who designed in his head rather then at the drawing board. Kalashnikov was officially selected and approved, and to this day it is hard to identify his genuine work under the barnacles of Soviet propaganda.

Louis Schmeisser was interned in East Germany, then taken to Russia. He was eventually allowed to return to West Germany. He never uttered a word about what he had done for the AK project. Chances are, he was told not to talk by the KGB, and most likely signed off as a condition of his release. Kalashnikov has not been helpful either. All he ever said was that Schmeisser "participated".

Back to OP, how do they do it? I wish I knew. I wish I could explain how Bernstein or Duke Ellington wrote music. Those are people with extraordinary abilities that most of us don't possess.

nitestalker 10-29-2013 04:18 AM

"Carbine" Williams was a back woods tinkerer in prison when he developed his first ideas. The Flint Lock was in use longer than any other ignition system 400 years. It was invented by chicken thieves in France. The self contained primer or cap which allowed center fire cartridges was a product of a Presbyterian minster who was a duck hunter. Each one of these people were filling a need. Necessity is the mother of invention.:)

John_Deer 10-29-2013 04:47 AM

Anyone can design a firearm. But it takes a tool and die maker to design a firearm that can be mass produced. Most prolific firearms designers have either a degree in metallurgy or have spent a lot of hours working with various metals.

Axxe55 10-29-2013 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nitestalker (Post 1416665)
"Carbine" Williams was a back woods tinkerer in prison when he developed his first ideas. The Flint Lock was in use longer than any other ignition system 400 years. It was invented by chicken thieves in France. The self contained primer or cap which allowed center fire cartridges was a product of a Presbyterian minster who was a duck hunter. Each one of these people were filling a need. Necessity is the mother of invention.:)

the Gatling gun was invented by Dr. Richard Gatling a doctor in 1861 to produce a gun that would reduce the number deaths by combat and disease. it was patented in 1862.

nitestalker 10-29-2013 05:24 AM

So true Dr. Gatling a North Carolina native was a brother in law to the Gov. of Indiana. The Dr. served at the Northern Prison which held Confederate POWs in Indianapolis.
He reasoned a machine gun would reduce the number of soldiers needed to fight a war. This would translate to fewer deaths by disease. The Union army was reluctant to use a gun invented by a southerner. Some days.:confused:

hiwall 10-29-2013 12:51 PM

I think we are all done with any new gun designs other than cosmetic or very simple redesigns.
Look at military rifles today, they are 50 year old designs. When they talk about military guns for the 'future soldier' they are just adding gadgets to basically today's guns. The Glock wasn't really a big design change, just it incorporated plastic in the manufacture. 'New' guns of the last 25 years are only improvements or cosmetic changes. Any really new guns have been flops. Remington's Electric model 700, several caseless designs, the Gyro Jet guns, so what is new?
Often a 'new' gun can be traced back to find it is a simple redesign of a 75 year old gun.