Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How far can a .338 bullet travel from a AR15?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-05-2009, 04:47 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dynastyofnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 318
Default How far can a .338 bullet travel from a AR15?

How far can it go as a general distance. Looking into a scope for my project, but dont want to go super power if I cant shoot the distance.



__________________
Every day above ground is a beautiful day.
dynastyofnext is offline  
 
Reply With Quote

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here


Old 06-05-2009, 05:14 PM   #2
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Minionsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

338 Lapua Mag 250gr FMJ-BT (LockBase) at 3000fps


100 yd + 11.11 inches
200 Yd +19.4 inches
300 Yd + 23 inches
400 + 21.3
500 +13.9
600 Zero drop/ rise
700 -21.1
800 -50.3
900 -88.6
1000 --137

At 600 yards with this weight of round you are at 2676 Ft lbs energy and 2196 Fps.
I would say 6 to 700 yards would be the max for that round, but may be wrong



__________________
Minionsram is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 02:24 AM   #3
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dynastyofnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
338 Lapua Mag 250gr FMJ-BT (LockBase) at 3000fps


100 yd + 11.11 inches
200 Yd +19.4 inches
300 Yd + 23 inches
400 + 21.3
500 +13.9
600 Zero drop/ rise
700 -21.1
800 -50.3
900 -88.6
1000 --137

At 600 yards with this weight of round you are at 2676 Ft lbs energy and 2196 Fps.
I would say 6 to 700 yards would be the max for that round, but may be wrong
Physics professor? or you just like to shoot alot? Thanks for the info 700 yards is pretty impressive. At that distance is still accurate? Or with the loss of energy and the enviornment change is the round not strong enough to make it through?
__________________
Every day above ground is a beautiful day.
dynastyofnext is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:46 AM   #4
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Stafford, Virginia,The state of insanity.
Posts: 14,043
Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Default

Please show me an AR in 338 Lapua Mag. You do know just how big that round is right?

__________________
cpttango30 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 03:01 PM   #5
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Minionsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
Physics professor? or you just like to shoot alot? Thanks for the info 700 yards is pretty impressive. At that distance is still accurate? Or with the loss of energy and the enviornment change is the round not strong enough to make it through?
No I am no physics man, Just know how to read ballistics and reloading tables


But as Cane said, it is a large round. here is a pic for compareison.
starting on left .50 .338 Laupa .300 win mag and a 308

__________________

Last edited by Minionsram; 06-06-2009 at 03:08 PM.
Minionsram is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:01 PM   #6
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
dynastyofnext's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 318
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minionsram View Post
No I am no physics man, Just know how to read ballistics and reloading tables


But as Cane said, it is a large round. here is a pic for compareison.
starting on left .50 .338 Laupa .300 win mag and a 308

Looks like im better off with a 308. But are there conversion kits for the AR in .308?
__________________
Every day above ground is a beautiful day.
dynastyofnext is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 06:55 PM   #7
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Minionsram's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 604
Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
Looks like im better off with a 308. But are there conversion kits for the AR in .308?
I think you need to post that question in the AR board. I am sure that there is a conversion, but I dont know. I have messed with very few AR's and their variants in my time. Maybe someone would chime in on this one that has had more experience
__________________
Minionsram is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2009, 11:05 PM   #8
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Longmont
Posts: 426
Default

RND Edge - Percision Rifles

It is made by RND in Longmont, CO it IS .338 Lapua....AR on steroids !

All machined from Billet plate !

Being tested by the Army for helicopter/drone use.
__________________
Dgunsmith is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:15 AM   #9
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Atlanta,Alabama
Posts: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dynastyofnext View Post
How far can it go as a general distance. Looking into a scope for my project, but dont want to go super power if I cant shoot the distance.
i realize this is an old thread but, I thought I'd give my own two cents. I've used the .338 Lapua many times and I can tell you 700 meters is nothin for this round. In November 2009 a U.K. soldier recorded a 2,475 m (2,707 yd) shot in the War in Afghanistan. The longest recorded sniper kill in history. Not a .50 cal but a .338 Lapua. He used LockBase B408 bullets and a L115A3 Long Range Rifle. I doubt you will be making any shot over a mile but, if you happen to run across a target around a 1000 meters then you've got a good chance of taking it out. Even at around 1400 meter, given the right rifle, it hits harder than a .44 Magnum does in the same room.


__________________
2ndSCRSniper is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Pakistan travel guide ChuckD The Club House 2 05-20-2009 11:48 PM
A road we do not need to travel in the USA! skullcrusher Politics, Religion and Controversy 6 04-22-2009 02:22 AM
Can .50 Cal bullets travel 5 miles? mlmiller1983 General Rifle Discussion 43 12-01-2008 02:39 AM
Travel Question summergirl Concealed Carrying & Personal Protection 1 07-01-2007 03:03 AM