How do you stay cool?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How do you stay cool?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2012, 07:42 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 69 Times on 49 Posts
Likes Given: 37

Default How do you stay cool?

It is starting to get warm out and most of us are pretty happy about that, we can get more shooting done that way.

But I am not to excited for summer and I'll tell you why. I work in a factory that is EXTREMELY hot. There is no AC and the temp in the summer is anywhere between 100-125 degrees inside the plant. It sucks! My area is right beside 9 CNC lasers that put off a lot of heat and on the other side of my area is the Robot/Mig weld stations. Not to mention that we have to long pants and for some jobs we have to wear long sleeves. And to make matters worse the plant keeps the break room temp at about 62 degrees during the summer, which sounds nice. But going from extreme heat to that cool of temp gives me a really bad headache. On my breaks I usually just go outside to cool down.

So, I guess what I am asking is...does anyone have any tips on how to beat the heat? I know to stay hydrated. But I have looked into cooling fans(the fans that spray a light mist) and some other types of clothing designed to help one stay cool.

Any suggestions?

Everybody needs a little Devastation!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-19-2012, 07:51 PM   #2

Liked 22 Times on 22 Posts

I usually soak a bandana in ice water, roll it up and tie it loosely around my throat. Gets pretty hot in the machine shop i work in and that works better than anything else i've tried.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

Liked 174 Times on 139 Posts
Likes Given: 82

Start by wearing cool clothing, like breathable polo shirts, thin canvass trousers, lite tennis shoes, and get a haircut so your head can breathe. That's for openers.

Don't wear a T-shirt. Its too much extra insulation.

You can wet your hair and face in the mens washroom every hour or so to cool down.

Maybe even soak the shirt and put it back on damp.

Wearing a soaked headband will also cool you down.

Good luck with that.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:17 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shoobee View Post
Start by wearing cool clothing, like breathable polo shirts, thin canvass trousers, lite tennis shoes, and get a haircut so your head can breathe. That's for openers.

Don't wear a T-shirt. Its too much extra insulation.

You can wet your hair and face in the mens washroom every hour or so to cool down.

Maybe even soak the shirt and put it back on damp.

Wearing a soaked headband will also cool you down.

Good luck with that.
Unfortunately, I don't have the option to do some of that. I work in a Metal fabrication plant. I have to wear cut resistant clothing, such as jeans, steel toe boots, and so on. I do keep my hair short and in the summer I lose the beard. The idea for the soaked head band and bandanna is pretty good, I'm going to try that.

Something I've considered is wearing an Under armor shirt that is designed to help the body cool underneath my work shirt and then soaking my work shirt in cool water.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:28 PM   #5
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21584 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

after many years of working in the heat, i have found some things to help with the heat.

drink plenty of water! then drink more.

breathable cotton clothing, i found wearing a t-shirt under my work shirt, that i actually do stay cooler. wear some sort of cap or hat if working out in the sun, it will keep your head cooler.

eat lighter meals during the day, maybe even snacking several times vs. eating one large meal.

if i have been sweating quite a lot, i try and stay out of any air conditioning, and prefer a fan to cool off instead. and if possible use a fan to circulate the air around you. it will make it seem somewhat cooler.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:46 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

Those evaporative cooler type fans do work as long as they are blowing directly at you & are close enough, but don't know if that is possible for you. The other suggestions are all good & I also vote for the T-shirt under your outer shirt. It works!

But, comes down to the fact that sometimes the only help is just getting used to it & staying out of the air conditioned break room is one way to do that. Generally, plants I called on that had a heat problem or required the Nomax clothing, etc. did not cool their offices or break rooms so much, for that reason.

Old 05-19-2012, 08:51 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jordan89
It is starting to get warm out and most of us are pretty happy about that, we can get more shooting done that way.

But I am not to excited for summer and I'll tell you why. I work in a factory that is EXTREMELY hot. There is no AC and the temp in the summer is anywhere between 100-125 degrees inside the plant. It sucks! My area is right beside 9 CNC lasers that put off a lot of heat and on the other side of my area is the Robot/Mig weld stations. Not to mention that we have to long pants and for some jobs we have to wear long sleeves. And to make matters worse the plant keeps the break room temp at about 62 degrees during the summer, which sounds nice. But going from extreme heat to that cool of temp gives me a really bad headache. On my breaks I usually just go outside to cool down.

So, I guess what I am asking is...does anyone have any tips on how to beat the heat? I know to stay hydrated. But I have looked into cooling fans(the fans that spray a light mist) and some other types of clothing designed to help one stay cool.

Any suggestions?
The plant I work in gets around the same temperature. I spend an average of 6 hours a day in a sealed paint booth wearing a Tyvek suit and carrying around a supplied breathing line and paint supply hose. Temperature averages about 85 degrees in there, then being in the suit and all the weight, easily exceeds 100. I actually have a flak jacket that I keep in the freezer and throw that on every time I paint.

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Old 05-19-2012, 08:59 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
Those evaporative cooler type fans do work as long as they are blowing directly at you & are close enough, but don't know if that is possible for you. The other suggestions are all good & I also vote for the T-shirt under your outer shirt. It works!

But, comes down to the fact that sometimes the only help is just getting used to it & staying out of the air conditioned break room is one way to do that. Generally, plants I called on that had a heat problem or required the Nomax clothing, etc. did not cool their offices or break rooms so much, for that reason.
How much water do they put out? I've seen a few of the fans for around $150 and the only thing that has made me hesitant to buy one is that I am afraid that water would be puddled around my area.

Here is what I would really like to have
http://www.coolshirt.net/industry-single-user.html

Old 05-19-2012, 09:12 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 29 Posts

They shouldn't put out enough water for you to notice. The water cools the air but doesn't blow out in a mist or anything like that, at least not the ones I've seen. The water wets pads in the fan & the fan sucks air through them. I'm not sure about a $150 one. The ones I've been around were about 3 ft. in diameter & cost $700 to $1000.

Old 05-19-2012, 09:16 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by gollygee View Post
They shouldn't put out enough water for you to notice. The water cools the air but doesn't blow out in a mist or anything like that, at least not the ones I've seen. The water wets pads in the fan & the fan sucks air through them. I'm not sure about a $150 one. The ones I've been around were about 3 ft. in diameter & cost $700 to $1000.
http://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200422313_200422313

This isn't the one I was talking about but it is close.

It is nothing real big, I was thinking about putting this at my work station. Then place it in my locker at the end of the day.