You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How Do You Like Windows 10?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-21-2016, 12:44 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1818 Times on 1176 Posts
Likes Given: 1768

Default How Do You Like Windows 10?

Anybody upgraded to Windows 10 or bought a new device running the new OS?

For almost a year I labored over a decision whether to upgrade our two laptops to Windows 10. Both were running fine so should you "fix it if it ain't broke"! But there are rave reviews of Win10 and it is free.

A few days ago I finally updated my laptop (I was afraid to touch my wife's laptop!) The complete process from the time you click Upgrade until you have your computer back took about 4 hours! (You might want to let it run overnight.)

So far all my applications work with Win10. I expected Word 2010 and Excel 2010 to work but wondered about a few non-Microsoft or non-major player softwares - like little utilities and handy programs from small software companies but they all work it seems. Win10 did break a few file extension associations (IE: I use Irfanview to open JPEGs and Win10 reset JPGs to be opened in MS Paint or whatever they call it today) but I was able to easily return to the file extension associations I wanted so no big deal. Otherwise I haven't had problems.

I'm pleased with the speed of Win10. Web pages load noticeably faster in Firefox under Win10 than before with Win8.1. Also the new Microsoft Edge browser loads pages fast. It feels like I've upgraded the speed of my Internet service. Great upgrade for this reason alone.

Since the update of our Win 8.1 Dell laptop went well I decided to go ahead and do the same to our Win 7 Toshiba laptop. After all, the price can't be beat (free)! My wife wasn't so sure but liked the way my laptop ran.

Again, the complete process from the time you click Upgrade until you regain control of your computer took over 4 hours. The download itself is 4 gigabytes which took 2 hours using our 7.5 Mb/sec DSL but that would be much faster with a faster Internet provider. Actually the download took another hour because it failed about 5 times so I had to restart it repeatedly. Fortunately the successfully downloaded stub of the file remained intact on my hard drive and the download program found it so started off where it left off before (5%, 15%, 55%, 80% and 95%) instead of going back to 0% each restart.That was worrisome but the integrity of the spliced together installation file is verified before installation.

Other than the new Microsoft Edge browser I haven't played with Cortana and other new features of Win10; I've mainly been concerned with proper function of existing applications that we use. I would say go ahead and take advantage of the free upgrade to Win10 which MS says will end around June 29th. I suspect that offer will be extended because MS wants to move most Win7&Win8 users to Win10. I didn't lose any files but backing up your personal data would be smart before the upgrade.

Everything seems all right on both PCs so far, apps open and data seems ok. I did have some other minor problems on the second laptop, again broken file extension associations and this time the speakers were mute because Win 10 defaulted to the headphones jack instead of speakers (a simple fix in Control Panel). I'm pleased with Windows 10 but what really matters is that my wife is pleased, too, the second laptop is her computer! So far she likes it.

Oh, anyone updating many computers would want to create an installation DVD to avoid multiple downloads of the 4GB file. Microsoft has an ISO image file you can download and burn to a blank DVD. (Or create an installation USB drive) I may do that just to have the DVD. They may sell a DVD too, I haven't checked that.
US Army 1966-69, VFW Life Member, Retired Geek

Last edited by Quentin; 05-21-2016 at 12:58 AM.
dwmiller Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-21-2016, 01:54 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6245 Times on 4129 Posts
Likes Given: 3210

Windows 8 is overwrought and gimmicky, upgrading to 10 is a no brainer. It is much better. I keep Windows 7, it is also better than 8. But I use the iPhone when speed is needed.
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2016, 01:54 AM   #3
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 4978 Times on 2357 Posts
Likes Given: 2432

Quentin
I certainly am not a computer Guerue! But I have Windows 10 on my new lap top. To me I would give anything to have my windows 7 or 8 back. It does have some good features but overall give me the old systems back!

“Americans have the right and advantage of being armed. Unlike the people of other countries, whose leaders are afraid to trust them with arms.”
James Madison. Author of the 2nd Amendment
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2016, 02:27 AM   #4

Liked 1682 Times on 935 Posts
Likes Given: 780

I'm still running Vista on this laptop,it's all that I'm used to and familiar with. I bought a new laptop 2 years ago with Windows 8 and absolutely hate the damn thing. I don't even use it,and even tried to have Vista installed in it,but it wouldn't allow it.

I hate change of any type,and don't know anything about this computer stuff. I didn't even own a computer until 2008,and other than using one for forums,and storing pictures,I have no use for one.
I guess when this laptop goes down or stops working,I'll go back to being without one. I've looked at Windows 10 and hate it worse than the new one I have with Windows 8.
These computer companies need to understand that a lot of people didn't grow up with computers,and it's hard for us to grasp onto new technology and also the expense of having to keep buying new stuff every few years because they say what we have is obsolete. It's the same way with cars,I usually keep them for 10-15 years,and then when I do buy a new/newer one,I have to be taught how to operate every damn electronic component that they have invented since the last one I bought.
After 4 years,I still don't know all the stuff the radio does in my 2012 power wagon,and will probably never learn.
North American Hunting Club
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2016, 02:34 AM   #5

Liked 47 Times on 43 Posts
Likes Given: 204

I'm keeping Windows 7 on my main PC , a tower desktop, but I've updated my older laptop from Windows 7 ( dual boot to Ubuntu ) , to Windows 10 without any problems. The dual boot still works, and I was able to setup Windows 10 to do what I want to do. I'm actually a little surprised since my wife has problems galore on Windows 10 ( with a touchscreen laptop ) . I consider Windows 10 a must have for anyone suffering with Windows 8, but for Windows 7 users, I'd stay with the tried and true ! Yes, I actually am a 69 year old geek !!
FEG Collection
SKS Fan
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 05-21-2016, 02:39 AM   #6
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1726 Times on 800 Posts
Likes Given: 471

Heck, my windows 98 is doing fine!!
US Naval Aviation AMSC 20 years ( retired) ASW/Aircrew Wings, P2V plane capt. Also a Tail hooker, US Naval Academy (DI) Shooting Instructor (Annapolis) NDW shooting team member. VN vet, Bluenose and Shellback.

Alway keep your six covered
People Like This 
Old 05-21-2016, 03:04 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Sniper, Win 7 is a great version of Windows but so is Win 10. I think you'll like it as you get more used to it. In fact there are many free books online that can help. Here's a link to an 18 page introduction you can download and print out: https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download/details.aspx?id=47716

Vista is a bloated version of Windows like Win 8. But since Win 7 is quite good I debated about that update. Win 10 does seem faster, and certainly Edge is faster than Internet Explorer. I know I'm going to like it. You can't upgrade Vista to Win 10 unless you first upgrade Vista to Win 7.

Win 8 and 8.1 are better suited to tablets and touch screens, the upgrade to Win 10 is a real improvement.

Last edited by Quentin; 05-21-2016 at 03:44 AM.
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 05-21-2016, 04:28 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2122 Posts
Likes Given: 1140

I have 7 on my PC. My wife updated her laptop to 10 and it was a big mistake. It couldn't handle it. I bought her a new laptop for mothers day and it is working well but she cant get her old programs without paying. She is not happy. She now has to use my computer for some of the stuff she does. The maps for my old hand held gps are not compatible and new ones are not available so I may have to get a new gps.
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 05-21-2016, 05:14 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

JTJ, if it hasn't been 30 days yet your wife can rollback to her old version of Windows.

http://www.itpro.co.uk/operating-systems/26090/dont-like-windows-10-heres-how-to-uninstall-it-1
dwmiller Likes This 
Old 05-21-2016, 05:23 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dearhunter View Post
Heck, my windows 98 is doing fine!!
Then DO NOT upgrade to Windows ME!