Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How do you dump your trash?

View Poll Results: How do you dispose of your household garbage?
Burn it out back or bury it out on the back forty 1 4.35%
Deliver it to a local dump/designated landfill 4 17.39%
Loose in a can at the curb on pickup day 2 8.70%
Bagged in a can at the curb on pickup day 16 69.57%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2012, 09:21 PM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Default How do you dump your trash?

Do you haul it out somewhere and burn it? Do you bag it, haul it to a designated landfill and dump it? Do you carry a can to the curb for pickup? If you haul a can to the curb, must the contents be bagged also?

What about your leaf clippings? (just explain in a post)

It has been said that some of the area communities are being encouraged to bag their trash before canning it for curbside pickup. I don't really understand why. Some people in those same areas burn it out back instead, not in protest as far as I know.

People inside the city limits of the nearest town can pile loose leaves/yard debris at the curb for pickup. Many people here also burn their yard debris when it isn't too dry. Some of us also make compost of the debris. When i lived in Memphis, we had to bag the leaves, and iirc, they required clear bags on them.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Last edited by orangello; 03-13-2012 at 09:35 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2012, 09:59 PM   #2

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

I used to take my trash to work and for 10 bucks a month id put it in the dumpster but i no longer work there and dont yet have trash pickup. For now i load it in my pickup and find a dumpster in town to get rid of it.

I dont waste my time picking up leaves, nature put them there so nature will take care of them. I never saw the point or cared to waste the fuel in a lawn tractor to bag them. The only yard waste i mess with is tree branches and thats only because hitting them with the mower is not a good idea.

Century Arms AR-15A2, 5.56
1946 Mosin-Nagant M44, 7.62x54R
1978 YUGO SKS, 7.62x39
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 03-13-2012, 10:43 PM   #3

Liked 1957 Times on 1030 Posts
Likes Given: 4286

I burn all paper trash for two reasons...First it saves me trips to the dump, I can get away with only going 4 or so times a year. Second it prevents identity theft...(spoken from under tin foil hat...) but hey, it happens. Non-burnables get taken to the dump, it's free and convienent.

I rake the leaves with the lawnmower, done and done.

Related side story...The umm, errr, idiot azzhole guy across the street likes to burn ALL his trash, plastic and all. Stinks up the area something awful. Last week I was working in the yard when the smell of nasty toxic burning plastic comes wofting over from said a-holes property. Before I knew it, EVERYTHING stunk like burnt plastic, truck, house (windows open) dog, me, you name it. I was almost done with my work but had to stop to close everything up...and find somewhere to breathe. Shi**y ending to an otherwise great day so I called the fire dept. on his inconsiderate azz.

They showed up, 12 guys deep, a small pumper and the rest personal vehicles (volunteer dept.) in under 3 minutes from my call...AWWWSUMMM!! They fired up the pumper and doused his azz post haste. Needless to say I was pretty happy with that.

Long story short, if I ever need help at my house quickly, I'm callin' in the fire boys. Not knockin' the law here buuut...PD response times in this area just plain suck. There is too much time spent arguing over who's district I live in...speaking from experience of two separate 30+minute response times...

Proud Supporter of USA Shooting

Old 03-14-2012, 12:37 AM   #4

Liked 136 Times on 65 Posts
Likes Given: 29

Quote:
Originally Posted by vincent View Post
I rake the leaves with the lawnmower, done and done.
I blow mine into my neighbor's yard. He works second shift.

Old 03-14-2012, 12:45 AM   #5

Liked 80 Times on 53 Posts
Likes Given: 36

This aint russia. bagged trash in a can. Just like our Founding Fathers wanted.

Loyalty can't be bought at any price;
but it can be rented remarkably cheaply.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:13 AM   #6

Liked 57 Times on 51 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Roll big trash can to curb, one smaller blue one for recycling. Usually rake all the leaves into giant pile at the curb( virginia has a lot of trees / leaves ), or you can clear bag em. They come by couple times during the fall w big vacuum truck.

Old 03-14-2012, 01:44 AM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5464 Times on 2854 Posts
Likes Given: 354

we have curb pickup. my wife recycles i dont bother with it. we bag it cuz i dont want stinky cans in the garage. if we leave em outside coons, foxes and skunks hang around.

leaves i mow over em and it gets sucked into the mower's bagger and dumped in the gulch behind the house. makes awesome environment for earth worms which i dig up for spring summer fall fishing bait.

any yard debris too big for the mulcher gets burned in the firepit in the back lot of the yard.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-14-2012, 03:11 AM   #8
Ain't she sweet?
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6957 Times on 4186 Posts
Likes Given: 8363

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
It has been said that some of the area communities are being encouraged to bag their trash before canning it for curbside pickup. I don't really understand why.
I think they like the garbage in bags in the cans because if it were loose in the can it would flutter all over the place when they go to dump the cans in the truck. If it is in bags, then they are dumping bags, not loose stuff the wind will blow all over town.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:29 AM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by winds-of-change View Post
I think they like the garbage in bags in the cans because if it were loose in the can it would flutter all over the place when they go to dump the cans in the truck. If it is in bags, then they are dumping bags, not loose stuff the wind will blow all over town.
Thanks WOC, I wondered if it might be something like that. Nevermind that the bags are probably made of foreign oil and will fill our landfills with non-biodegradable waste, we gotta make life easier for the city workers. Well, they can pick mine up in the cans, bagged or not as i see fit (bags for the super stinky), or i'll just burn it out back with some leaves. If they wanted it in bags, they should've said so when they calculated the pickup fee on the water bill, IMO.

Now, if they were asking me to recycle, i would find enough value to ALL the county residents in that to do some sorting and have another bin.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-14-2012, 03:38 AM   #10
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8054 Times on 4648 Posts
Likes Given: 10397

Here in CA we have curbside pickup. The black can is for garbage, that is all we pay for. I sort out the recyclables into the blue can and any yard waste I don't want to compost into the green can. We can get as many of the green or blue cans as we want, no limit and no extra charge.

Twenty years ago I would sort out the recyclables and bring them into the center and get paid for them, the garbage I would haul to the dump. We didn't have curbside service then. I had a trailer all set up to haul it all in. I never cared for burning it, just doesn't seem right to me.

Quite honestly it drives me nuts when we travel out of state that there are not recycle containers available for the most part these days. I end up hauling all of the empties back to CA where everything can be recycled.

I sell my trash brass for good money!