How do you deal with pest/leeches?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How do you deal with pest/leeches?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-02-2010, 02:57 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default How do you deal with pest/leeches?

Sorry but I am not talking about the ones you find in the river.

About 7 years ago, my brother-in-law (BIL) and sister-in-law (SIL) helped a "family" friend who at that time recently moved to the USA. They offered her to stay in one of their 2 BR 2 bath apartments for free until she is able. The apartment comes with free sewer and water. Since my in-laws (my SIL parents) live next to her (it is a duplex), she also get free cable and internet connection from them. She eats at their apartment half of the time and did her laundry there until midnight at times until they got fed up and gave her a washer and dryer. The kicker...to date (7 years later) she is still living there for FREE.

BTW, she has a stable good paying job almost immediately and bought a brand new car though a friend offered her a perfectly working but older car for $1.00. Buys a ton of things online and turned the 2 BR apartment into a cluttered mess. If anyone watches "Clean House"...she is a prefect candidate for that.

My SIL/BIL want to kick her out but they are too nice and don't want to hurt her feelings. They are hoping she will realize it by her self. I offered to talk to the leech but they refused. I also told them that the apartment manager can take care of it if they want but again, they refused.

I gave up already but since we visit my in-laws monthly, my blood pressure shoots up every time I see the leech!!! She knows how I feel and makes herself scarce whenever I am there (for the past 4 years). My in-laws are still civil with her but also nearing their limit. She flooded her bathroom once and we had to clean and dry 2 of our carpeted rooms!!!

Any suggestions on how to deal with this (pest) situation?

Last edited by Poink88; 08-02-2010 at 03:00 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-02-2010, 03:11 PM   #2

Liked 1429 Times on 846 Posts
Likes Given: 440

You have mentioned all the right ways. Until your In-laws decide to do something, there is nothing you can do.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:15 PM   #3

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

KICK HER OUT.

Unless she has a lease then she needs to go.

Take a lease over to her and say rent is going to be $2k a month. She either signs or she gets out within 48 hours. That is it.

Or

You remove yourself from the problem and not worry about it because it is not your problem.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:17 PM   #4
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 2477 Times on 1328 Posts
Likes Given: 879

Sorry, but there is nothing you can do at all. This has to be their decision.

Ok... maybe there is one thing you can do. Get them to call Dr. Laura. She'd have a field day with them.

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Join the NRA

Old 08-02-2010, 03:50 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

7 years???? What the heck???

I would agree with Tango. They need to kick her out, but unfortunately there is nothing you can really do.

Old 08-02-2010, 03:53 PM   #6

Liked 18 Times on 12 Posts

First of all, I believe you will find it harder to just kick her out. She has laws on her side. I would ask the in-laws (MIL) specifically to draft up a lease at the going rate + utilities and go talk to her. Say things like, "You've been great, and I'm glad we were able to help you get on your own two feet here. Since you have made it, I think it only fair that we help you even more by letting you become totally independent. Sign this lease, and again I'm glad we can help you take the next step."

At that point, MIL smile, shuts-up, and looks her straight in the face. The first person to speak next, loses.

Reinforce the fact that she is not independent until she pays all her own way. Let her know that coming over to eat once in a while is still cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Last edited by skullcrusher; 08-02-2010 at 03:58 PM.

Old 08-02-2010, 04:42 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
You remove yourself from the problem and not worry about it because it is not your problem.
I know...it is just tough when you see someone taking advantage of people you care about.

BIL/SIL don't really care about the rent money since they make more than enough but for me it is the principle and everyone are grinding their teeth including my BIL's mother who is the friend of the leech.

As I posted on another thread...the leech will probably die of old age in the apartment and my SIL/BIL will end up paying for her funeral services as well.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:00 PM   #8

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

How the hell old is this lady?

She doesn't have a lease like skull said she may own the dam place by now look up squatters rights in your state.

Maybe go to the bad part of town and pay a couple of bad 20 somethings to come break into her house a few times.

Me I have no heart. I would go in there and start hauling crap out stating that we need to renovate the place. I would remove all the windows and then order new ones. I would remove some of the plumbing fixtures then order new ones. I would start tearing out carpet stating that I need to replace it. I would start tearing out drywall and shut the electric off because I am moving walls and outlets. No lease no worries.

This is why you never rent to family or friends. They will take advantage of you every time. My parents are dealing with this right now.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:38 PM   #9

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
How the hell old is this lady?
I am really bad estimating age but probably 65 to 70 now judging between the ages of her friend and my in-laws who are her contemporary.

Old 08-03-2010, 05:57 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

As others have suggested, i vote have the in-laws hand her a lease to sign & tell her that they have been glad to help her get off to a good start in the country.

If she is pushing 70, this won't get easier with time...................unless she croaks suddenly (not a hint).