Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How do you buy cars?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-17-2011, 01:36 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 29 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I'm currently looking at getting a second vehicle. My current vehicle (1996 Ford Thunderbird) doesn't do well off road so I'm checking 4-wheel drives out. I don't want a brand new one because I'm planning on driving it like I stole it through the desert. Yucca trees and Mesquite bushes scratch the Hell out of paint. If anyone even had one, I'd grab a Dodge Powerwagon in a heartbeat. But, so far, Jeep seems to be the most available beat-to-s**t used vehicle I've found in this area. I'd love to get my hands on an old Range or Land Rover but I haven't seen any advertised anywhere.

As for my T-Bird, if IT craps out, my next vehicle will also be some 2-door sedan type. I don't hold any hope of getting one with a mother-in-law trunk like my T-Bird (a LOT of guns fits in its trunk) but I don't need anything with 4 doors. I don't look at gas mileage and the only thing I care about is "Is it comfortable to drive."

Old 04-17-2011, 03:17 PM   #12

Liked 698 Times on 464 Posts
Likes Given: 731

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcidFlashGordon View Post
I'm currently looking at getting a second vehicle. My current vehicle (1996 Ford Thunderbird) doesn't do well off road so I'm checking 4-wheel drives out. I don't want a brand new one because I'm planning on driving it like I stole it through the desert. Yucca trees and Mesquite bushes scratch the Hell out of paint. If anyone even had one, I'd grab a Dodge Powerwagon in a heartbeat. But, so far, Jeep seems to be the most available beat-to-s**t used vehicle I've found in this area. I'd love to get my hands on an old Range or Land Rover but I haven't seen any advertised anywhere.

As for my T-Bird, if IT craps out, my next vehicle will also be some 2-door sedan type. I don't hold any hope of getting one with a mother-in-law trunk like my T-Bird (a LOT of guns fits in its trunk) but I don't need anything with 4 doors. I don't look at gas mileage and the only thing I care about is "Is it comfortable to drive."
Get a Scout!!

Old 04-17-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1719 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 3636

I own a 99 Chevy Silverado. I bought it with it showing just a little more than 5000 miles on it. its the newest I've ever bought. ill keep it many more years... hopefully.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:23 PM   #14

Liked 1763 Times on 1130 Posts
Likes Given: 904

I'll buy almost anything if the deal is right.
I've owned over 40 vehicles in 41 years. Currently the drive is holding a 1993 Lincoln Town Car, a 1994 Town Car, a 1997 Ford F-150, and a 2006 Ford Explorer. All registered, insured and running well, thank you.
No particular reason for all Fords. Just got them all in good deals.

Old 04-18-2011, 12:29 AM   #15

Growing up in Michigan, I buy American. The only foreign built vehicle I have owned is a VW Westfalia.

I've owned vehicles from all of the big three. Few were outstanding, few were troublesome.

Recent trend is to buy new and drive forever. I currently drive a '00 Jeep Cherokee we bought new. At about 180K miles, and going strong, we have done well with this rig. The Mrs. drives an '05 Jeep Liberty. The diesel power was a big seller for us as we new it would be a long term ride. Now that both are paid for we start to save for the next one. Not sure what that will be other than a purchased few years from now.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:00 AM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I would buy an older Jeep CJ. Plenty of parts, can be retrofit with almost any powerplant, some very nice builds for next to nothing available right now, just be sure to get something without a computer anywhere! I'd even stay away from solid state ignition, if possible!

People get the government they deserve.

Old 04-18-2011, 01:10 AM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

My saturn at 42,000 miles sounds like an old military duce and a half. It knocks rattles vibrates and clunks while I am driving it. That was the biggest waste of money I ever laid eyes on. My OEM tires lasted maybe 10k before their were chunks coming out of them.

If I go around a corner faster than 10 mph is makes a gurggling sound.

When I am sitting at a stop light there will be a KLINK KLINK KLINK in the rear of the car.

When I turn right I get a buzz like vibration from the left front.

When I turn left I get the buzz like vibration from the right rear of the car.

I hate this pile of crap and will be hard pressed to buy any GM product ever again.

My wifes Toyota on the other hand has only had a few problems that are minor We have a light that goes out under the gear selector and the windows didn't roll down for a while. Read the owners manual and fixed that. We just put the third set of tires on it and she has 145,000 miles. Never had to do the breaks the engine DOESN'T burn any oil. It gets 35 mpg every day.

Over all the build quality of the Toyota far out paces the build quality of any current GM or Chrysler product out there.

I will buy a Ford how ever. Mainly because all the ones I have seen are nice looking and well built. Plus they have the Ford F-150 Raptor which is what I really want for my pick up.

Old 04-18-2011, 04:25 PM   #18

Liked 293 Times on 196 Posts
Likes Given: 25

I buy gas GMC / Chevrolet 1/2 ton P/U's and buy Ford F550 and F650 diesel trucks for my business. All of the Ford trucks I have bought from Terex, a company that outfits them with the man lifts and utility boxes. I tried a new 3/4 ton Toyota in 2003 but it lasted only 7 months before the frame was damaged beyond repair due to the weight I'll haul in the beds of these 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton PU's.

Pretty much I stay with the domestic brands as they seem to take the abuse I dish out to them.

Old 04-19-2011, 02:45 PM   #19

I have a 97 nissan pickup with 190,000 plus miles that I have own for 11 years now great little truck. I am looking at a 04 Silverado 4 door. Need something for the boy. They aint getting any smaller. I need the extra room with the ext. cab at 6'5" and 215 lb the leg room is nice