Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How do you beat the heat?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-03-2013, 01:29 AM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1674 Times on 920 Posts
Likes Given: 2454

Quote:
i'm thinking that when someone falls victim to heat stroke or exhaustion, their policies might change!
Bingo!!!

A company i used to work for had a guy die from heat stroke. That death cost them hundreds of thousands of dollars and a lucrative federal contract.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:49 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I do HVAC in central Florida, and my company has done the same thing with our trucks. I spend the majority of my time on roofs. anywhere from a couple hours to 16 hours in a day. Usually those white reflective roofs or black/brown roofs and holy s does it get hot (some days roof temps up to 140's) First off, I keep a cooler full of Gatorade, water, Mountain Dew, a towel, and ICE. Drink all day long, and use my icy towel when i need it. Secondly, but just as important is my canopy. Drops the temperature TREMENDOUSLY. seriously has probably saved me from stroking out on multiple occasions. You should get one and set it up where you are working out at least close to where you are working so you can take your breaks underneath it. Best of luck to you.

Old 07-03-2013, 01:54 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5309 Times on 2915 Posts
Likes Given: 10142

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point6liter
I do HVAC in central Florida, and my company has done the same thing with our trucks. I spend the majority of my time on roofs. anywhere from a couple hours to 16 hours in a day. Usually those white reflective roofs or black/brown roofs and holy s does it get hot (some days roof temps up to 140's) First off, I keep a cooler full of Gatorade, water, Mountain Dew, a towel, and ICE. Drink all day long, and use my icy towel when i need it. Secondly, but just as important is my canopy. Drops the temperature TREMENDOUSLY. seriously has probably saved me from stroking out on multiple occasions. You should get one and set it up where you are working out at least close to where you are working so you can take your breaks underneath it. Best of luck to you.
I work in attics sometimes. You HVAC guys do that a bit. That is hot.

No offense and none taken

Old 07-03-2013, 02:13 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 52 Times on 40 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Luckily (maybe????) I do commercial and industrial. So no attics for me unless its side work

Old 07-03-2013, 02:15 AM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 310 Times on 145 Posts
Likes Given: 107

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
Here is a dilemma. I work alone, outside, in rural America. The heat index is well above 100° all summer. (sometimes 130°+ ) I spend most days in the sun doing physical work. My employer allows a fifteen minute break in the morning, another in the afternoon, and an unpaid hour for lunch. I must keep the truck locked with the windows up while I work. But I am not permitted to crank the work truck and run the air conditioner. Ever. They even installed electronic devices on all the company vehicles to record "idle time." So when break time rolls around, I can either rest in the sun, or rest in the hot truck. (I can have the windows down while I am in the truck.) If I were to fall victim to the heat, no one would know until knock off time.
I think your company needs to be "Schooled" in the OSHA requirements for heat exposure in the workplace above 100 degrees. They have Regulations/laws to protect workers that apply to everyone.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

LIFETIME NRA MEMBER SINCE 1977

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 02:25 AM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan

I think your company needs to be "Schooled" in the OSHA requirements for heat exposure in the workplace above 100 degrees. They have Regulations/laws to protect workers that apply to everyone.
I checked. OSHA has recommendations for heat exposure, not requirements.

Old 07-03-2013, 02:29 AM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Here's something out of the OSHA reg.'s that might be of interest to you. Hope you can find a way to stay cool, fella...take care of yourself.

"The government did not write the constitution to give rights to the people. The people wrote the constitution to limit the government's power."

MisterMcCool Likes This 
Old 07-03-2013, 02:33 AM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by MisterMcCool View Post
I checked. OSHA has recommendations for heat exposure, not requirements.
You might have me on that one...nonetheless, you need to do what's right for you and your health. I knew a union Boilermaker Steward who told his boss once on a really hot day, "It's hot...you can tell me how to do it, where to do it and when to do it but, you're not gonna tell me how hard I gotta work at it."

People Like This 
Old 07-03-2013, 02:35 AM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by KimberFan

You might have me on that one...nonetheless, you need to do what's right for you and your health. I knew a union Boilermaker Steward who told his boss once on a really hot day, "It's hot...you can tell me how to do it, where to do it and when to do it but, you're not gonna tell me how hard I gotta work at it."
That's great!

Old 07-03-2013, 03:28 AM   #20
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1000 Times on 571 Posts
Likes Given: 459

I feel for you brother. I work in the oil/gas field here in Texas,and we are in the heat from sun up to sun down.
You have to stay hydrated,and replenish your electrolytes often. I keep a big golfing umbrella with me,and when I get really hot,I'll open it up,and take a break under it.
Try not to drink anything with caffeine,stick with water or Gatorade,and like others have said,keep a towel or a neck wrap in a cooler and use it as you need to.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

MisterMcCool Likes This