Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How do you beat the heat? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-do-you-beat-heat-93268/)

MisterMcCool 07-03-2013 12:01 AM

Here is a dilemma. I work alone, outside, in rural America. The heat index is well above 100 all summer. (sometimes 130+ :eek: ) I spend most days in the sun doing physical work. My employer allows a fifteen minute break in the morning, another in the afternoon, and an unpaid hour for lunch. I must keep the truck locked with the windows up while I work. But I am not permitted to crank the work truck and run the air conditioner. Ever. They even installed electronic devices on all the company vehicles to record "idle time." So when break time rolls around, I can either rest in the sun, or rest in the hot truck. (I can have the windows down while I am in the truck.) If I were to fall victim to the heat, no one would know until knock off time.

mountainman13 07-03-2013 12:03 AM

Wet bandanas. Lots of water. Keep hydrated.

DFlynt 07-03-2013 12:05 AM

Can you keep a big cooler of ice water that you could soak a towel for your neck and soak your t-shirt for cooling? Plenty of fluids, keep wearing a hat that has good ventilation, nothing dark.

readygirl 07-03-2013 12:07 AM

I would put a plastic tarp in the back of the truck, and fill it with water. That way, wherever i am working, if i get hot, i could take a dip in my pool. And tell my boss "record that, big man".........:D

MisterMcCool 07-03-2013 12:08 AM

They provide a cooler, ice, and water. I can wear a hat but the uniform hats are navy blue and they are hot.

DFlynt 07-03-2013 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MisterMcCool (Post 1293301)
They provide a cooler, ice, and water. I can wear a hat but the uniform hats are navy blue and they are hot.

I'd swap to a lightweight boonie hat in Navy Blue then and soak it if you can get away with it.

Axxe55 07-03-2013 01:19 AM

i'm thinking that when someone falls victim to heat stroke or exhaustion, their policies might change! if you ever have a heat stroke or a really bad case of heat exhaustion, you will never be able to tolerate the heat well again.

use cool water and not cold water to cool off with and yes remain hydrated at all times. if you're thirsty, then you are already started to dehydrate. drink lots of water, even if you're not thirsty. use some type of hyration fluid, because your body is losing salt and potassium as well. a huge loss in both of these will give your body cramps. working the heat and sweating a lot will tire you quicker as well. my advice is to stop, from time to time and rest for a few minutes. please be careful, because heat stroke can kill you.

gr8oldguy 07-03-2013 01:23 AM

Here's how you beat the heat...move to Wisconsin.

MisterMcCool 07-03-2013 01:24 AM

It hardly bothered me when I was younger (and drank less.)

MisterMcCool 07-03-2013 01:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gr8oldguy
Here's how you beat the heat...move to Wisconsin.

My dream is to move to some place where the sun doesn't shine. I liked the smokey mountains.