How did you get into guns? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House >

How did you get into guns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-07-2012, 06:06 PM   #21
The Stanley Cup winners......the Blackhawks
FTF_ADMIN.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8940 Times on 5347 Posts
Likes Given: 11942

I grew up in a family that didn't own guns, didn't hunt, didn't target shoot. I later learned my Dad had a handgun and a rifle hidden but I never knew they were in the house. It just wasn't a subject that came up. My Dad was not a hunter. I was anti-gun all my life. I met a friend who had an extensive collection of guns. He taught me that guns were not dangerous, that my car was more dangerous, that I had big knives in my kitchen, that one could kill someone with a baseball bat, etc. Then he took me to the range and put an Uzi in my hands. I had a great time shooting, liked the sound of the bullet hitting the steel. I hit a steel target at 100 yds. with his SKS. I came home from visiting him in California and within 5 months I bought my first gun. I've been hooked ever since. The exhilaration, confidence and thrill I get from target shooting is incredible. I can't explain it but I know I don't have to explain it to you guys.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:39 PM   #22

Liked 201 Times on 138 Posts

Started buying guns my senior year of high school, id always been into guns since I was little just couldn't afford my own till then. I'm just about the only one in my family that hunts but nearly everyone in my family owns a gun or two. There are about nine guns in my dads safe that have been passed down that ill inherit including a Stevens single barrel 20 ga and a Model 37 Redletter. My dad and I go shooting every month or so to try and keep or skills Sharp.
NEF Protector Pump, 12 gauge
Savage Model 64, .22LR
NEF Pardner Tracker II, 12 gauge
Rock Island Armory 1911A1, .45 ACP
Remington 870 'Express Magnum' 12 gauge
Bersa Thunder .380

Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Grew up shooting in Boy Scouts and hunting with my dad. At the age of 20 I had a bad experience with drugs, alcohol and guns. Almost shot one of my best friends. Some odd years later, my daughter was involved in gangs and got shot at. Luckily they missed. Bought a handgun then for family protection and haven't looked back.

Old 09-08-2012, 02:24 AM   #24

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 25-5
My dad and uncle when I was twelve. Now I am 67, and though I tried, it all ends with me.
Sounds like a common story these days... Back in the day, I had a 22 rifle in my hand every weekend rain or shine and was at grandpas farm shooting everything I could that wouldn't get me in trouble. I watched hunting shows, fishing shows, and still played sports and was cool in school. I just spent a lot of time with grandpa and a few of his WW2 friends. It taught me much. It wasn't just about shooting/hunting. It was about respect for guns, the artwork, the mechanical aspect and inner workings.
Now kids could care less. They want a semi-auto that they can hold sideways and look cool with? I helped teach a Hunters Ed class and 2/3 (85%) of the kids didn't know you couldn't kill deer with a .22 and had no idea where kill zones were on deer, turkey, coyotes, etc. they had never heard of what Grain a bullet was or what a single shot rifle was or why it would exist!
We are loosing a heritage. One of the most important heritages.......

Old 09-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #25

Liked 84 Times on 61 Posts

Growing up nobody in my family had never introduced me to guns, I first got into them a little over a year ago when I had to give up football after 12 years of playing. I had my 7th concussion in my second year of college football so I had to find another passion in my life and I turn in this direction because I was always interested in guns

Old 09-08-2012, 02:42 AM   #26

Liked 7 Times on 4 Posts

I come from a culture where guns are taboo. But my father join a shooting club and bought a browning medallist 22lr for 200.00 dollars in 1972. The reason why he did that? Public relations. His customers where rich people that have the means for this kind of hobbies. Long story short, I went with my father to the range and learn to shoot with him. Funny thing, when I told him that I bought a Mosin Nagant he said "Are you crazy? That is dangerous!". Whatever!!!!

Old 09-09-2012, 12:44 AM   #27

Liked 541 Times on 324 Posts
Likes Given: 2178

My dad was an avid quail hunter and deer hunter. I squirrel hunted with my grandfather.

"Work as if you were to live 100 Years, Pray as if you were to die To-morrow." --Benjamin Franklin

Old 09-09-2012, 12:57 AM   #28
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 14 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 6

My mom bought me my first one, age 12, some 50 years ago. A Mossberg .22 single shot rifle. I still have it, and it's in pristine condition.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:28 AM   #29
Feedback Score: 3 reviews

Liked 240 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 72

Ever since i played Counter Strike game long time ago. Lol

Old 09-09-2012, 04:47 AM   #30
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

I was raised in a no guns household. My friends had them and we would shoot like crazy when I went over to their houses- targets, clays, hunting, anything that we could shoot we did. I bought my first gun (Marlin 60) when I worked at a gas station while in high school and hid it from my mom (parents had divorced). Second one (Mossberg 500) I bought when I was going to the community College. Been slowly collecting them ever since (still have every one of them too). My future father-in-law gave me his hunting rifle, a 1903 Springfield, when I mentioned I wanted to go hunting but didn't have a suitable rifle, then a few years later he gave me the rest of his collection so my brother-in-law wouldn't get them when he passed on.

Just a few months ago I had my dad over (who just passed away two days ago) and he shot my AR15, first time he had been shooting since he was in the army in 1953.

I plan on having my mom over soon so she can shoot for the first time in her life.