How did you find and why you joined FirearmsTalk
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How did you find and why you joined FirearmsTalk

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-26-2007, 12:30 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default How did you find and why you joined FirearmsTalk

I myself just joined in early August,I was a huge forum user on packing.org for the last several years,then in the last year I think a bunch of anti-gunners joined and was causing problems,I was recieveing anti-gun spam in my e-mails and threats in my messages,it was at one time the best carry/conceal site out there and the best gun forum too.In July when I noticed Packing.org was gone and done away with,I started researching for Gun Forums on the web,and believe me there are hundreds of them out here.I started watching around 5 sites and joined this one thinking it has alot to offer in knowledge and the people and moderators do a good job,let's just hope the anti-gunners don't crash this forum in the next year or two.VOTE GOP IN '08!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-26-2007, 03:33 PM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have 4 main hobbies.
Home brew
Medieval re enacting
Jeeps
Firearms.

The guy that runs this site also runs a JEEP forum site (www.Jeepforum.com).
One of the Mods here is a member there and the Jeep site advertises this forum some in the banners.
I like this site as it is relatively new and has some interesting people with more to come. This site also seems not to tolerate the posers that want to play internet badass/ knoweverything.
BTW- www.thehighroad.org is also a pretty good site. Especially for reloading info.

Old 08-26-2007, 03:46 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1984cj View Post
I have 4 main hobbies.
Home brew
Medieval re enacting
Jeeps
Firearms.
This site also seems not to tolerate the posers that want to play internet badass/ knoweverything.
True.And lets hope it stays that way!

Old 08-26-2007, 04:46 PM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I found it from the banner ad on JeepForum.com.

I inherited some guns from my father, who was a collector. Don't really know much about them and thought this looked like an interesting place to try to learn more.

I do have to say that, as someone who is pro-guns, yet very unhappy with the current administration, I find all of the liberal bashing, pro-GOP-no-matter-what stuff, a little distasteful. If this is really a firearms site, and not a politics site, you'll probably have broader appeal by cutting down on the political rhetoric, or at the very least restricting it to gun control type issues. Believe it or not, there are a lot of moderates, libertarians, and possibly even "liberals" on many issues, who are gun enthusiasts.

Old 08-26-2007, 05:49 PM   #5

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I really don't remember how I found this site; probably from a banner somewhere.

I joined because I'm getting back into shooting after some years in the unarmed wilderness. (Don't ask why--long story, and I'm too long-winded as it is.)

As the author of a good many of the "all-GOP, all the time" posts, I don't intend to apologize or back off. There is, rather obviously, NO issue more vital to gun owners than "gun control", and there is NO issue on which there is a clearer difference between the two major parties.

On every other issue, you will find politicians on both sides of the aisle on both sides of the issue--but not on this. True, there are a few Republicans who are soft on gun rights--Guiliani, for one--but even they know where the base is and that they'd better not cross it. But is there such a thing as a genuinely pro-gun Democrat? Don't think so. The Dems would do to him what they did to Joe Lieberman, only 10x faster.

I'm sure there are liberals who support gun rights. I'm canted to the left on some issues myself--but those take a back seat to the Second Amendment in my personal list of priorities. On this forum, I won't bring up the issues where I'm liberal; not the time nor the place. But I do think it appropriate to point out, as often and as loudly as possible, that if a person really believes in the importance of the RKBA, there is no real choice on which party to support. A Democrat who favors gun ownership needs to rethink his position, or at least be aware that he is abandoning support of the 2nd Amendment in favor of whatever other issue is of greater import to him.

Show me a major Democratic candidate who is unequivocally pro-gun, and I'll drop it. Failing that, I see no need for a gunner to apologize for vocally supporting the Republicans.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)

Old 08-26-2007, 06:05 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

We do our best to keep political rhetoric out of the technical areas, that's why we have a Legal & Politics section as well as the other GD sections. Really though it comes with the territory and we certainly hope that you will defend issues and debate issues important to you.

This is a pretty new forum and it is active members like you guys that help it grow. As content and membership gorws so will this site

Perhaps, if I am very lucky, the feeble efforts of my lifetime will someday be noticed, and maybe, in some small way, they will be acknowledged as the greatest works of genius ever created by Man.
- Jack Handey

Old 08-26-2007, 06:28 PM   #7

Likes Given: 2

I think i found this site after doing a web search. As I'm new to the USA I'm from Australia and the way the A**holes of the anti-gun lobby have screwed the gun laws there OK I'll stop ranting I married an American girl so I moved here to be with her. I'm getting back into shooting slowly as I've only started working here so need the money to go to the range OK thats enough about me talk to you all later

John

John W J
Heart in Australia
Body In New Mexico
http://opencarry.com/

Old 08-26-2007, 06:49 PM   #8
bkt

Liked 1305 Times on 664 Posts
Likes Given: 151

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
I found it from the banner ad on JeepForum.com.

I inherited some guns from my father, who was a collector. Don't really know much about them and thought this looked like an interesting place to try to learn more.

I do have to say that, as someone who is pro-guns, yet very unhappy with the current administration, I find all of the liberal bashing, pro-GOP-no-matter-what stuff, a little distasteful. If this is really a firearms site, and not a politics site, you'll probably have broader appeal by cutting down on the political rhetoric, or at the very least restricting it to gun control type issues. Believe it or not, there are a lot of moderates, libertarians, and possibly even "liberals" on many issues, who are gun enthusiasts.
I deeply respect the constitution and I would like to see our federal government return to its designated size and scope, and I would like to see state governments (try to) pick up the slack.

That's why the pro-GOP stuff bugs me. There is precious little difference between Rudy and Hillary when it comes to the issue of gun control.

For what it's worth, there are folks here who are not die-hard Republicans.

Old 08-26-2007, 08:45 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with you, bkt, and I feel that we've lost far more in individual constitutional liberties under the current administration than in many prior (Patriot Act, habeus corpus, warrantless wiretapping, etc).

As a gun owner and a free thinker, I strongly disagree with the prior poster's assertion that "NO issue more vital to gun owners than gun control." It's an issue that I consider and weigh along with other issues. You're saying that if a candidate vows to repeal all gun laws, but for example supports mandatory puppy-eating, that he's your guy? I guess things aren't quite so black-and-white for me.

A more reasonable example would be, if a candidate says he supports gun ownership, but at the expense of the rights to privacy and due process, or you can buy all the guns you want, but only from Haliburton, or you can no longer afford your hobby because your job has been outsourced to China, none of these are good trades to me.

Finally, I don't agree that there are NO pro-gun Dems. Here's a link to the NRA's own ratings:

http://votesmart.org/issue_rating_detail.php?sig_id=003284M

You'll see that there are Republicans with an F rating and Democrats with an A+ rating. You might also check out some sites like BlueSteelDemocrats, Guntotingliberal.com, a2dems.net, etc.

Best,
Quasi

Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #10

Liked 24 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Default Thanks for the information

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasi View Post
I agree with you, bkt, and I feel that we've lost far more in individual constitutional liberties under the current administration than in many prior (Patriot Act, habeus corpus, warrantless wiretapping, etc).

As a gun owner and a free thinker, I strongly disagree with the prior poster's assertion that "NO issue more vital to gun owners than gun control." It's an issue that I consider and weigh along with other issues. You're saying that if a candidate vows to repeal all gun laws, but for example supports mandatory puppy-eating, that he's your guy? I guess things aren't quite so black-and-white for me.

A more reasonable example would be, if a candidate says he supports gun ownership, but at the expense of the rights to privacy and due process, or you can buy all the guns you want, but only from Haliburton, or you can no longer afford your hobby because your job has been outsourced to China, none of these are good trades to me.

Finally, I don't agree that there are NO pro-gun Dems. Here's a link to the NRA's own ratings:

http://votesmart.org/issue_rating_detail.php?sig_id=003284M

You'll see that there are Republicans with an F rating and Democrats with an A+ rating. You might also check out some sites like BlueSteelDemocrats, Guntotingliberal.com, a2dems.net, etc.

Best,
Quasi
Thanks for the information; I take it to heart, and I stand corrected. I did not know that there was so much pro-gun activity on the Left or in the Democratic party. (I can be forgiven, I think, for wishing that they had more influence, though.) I will henceforth drop the stereotypes.

For the record, though, I disagree with your contentions about the loss of civil liberties under this administration. "Warrantless wiretapping," for instance, applies ONLY to calls to or from numbers in foreign nations KNOWN to be connected to terrorist organizations; that's exactly the kind of thing the administration was pilloried for NOT doing before 9-11. And if you think the provisions of the Patriot Act have been widely abused, you watch "Law and Order" too much. Much fiction has been written in this area, but very little in the way of fact.

Like it or not, we're at war. And I don't only mean the war in Iraq; we are at war with radical Islamic Jihadists, and that war will continue (and in my opinion, intensify) if we pull out of Iraq tomorrow. This war came to us; we did not seek it, but we have no choice in whether or not to fight it. The stated goal of the enemy is the total destruction of Western culture, the forced conversion of everyone on Earth to fundamentalist Islam, and the imposition of an absolutist theocracy and medieval Sharia law. What happens to our civil liberties then?

Now we are in the same position the Israelis have been in for generations: "If the Arabs put down their weapons, there will be no war; if the Israelis put down their weapons, there will be no Israel."

Welcome to the middle east. We're all Israelis now.

"Valor needs first strength, then a weapon."
-- J. R. R. Tolkien (1892-1973)

"Free men have arms; slaves do not."
-- William Blackstone (1723-1780)