How did you become interested...? - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > General Discussion Forums > The Club House > How did you become interested...?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2008, 12:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

I came in early in life about 6 years old. My mom just happen to marry a fine man who had one hell of a collection of firearms. He taught me how to shoot then it was off to the races for me. I picked it up fast and fell in love with shooting from day one. From my daisy red ryder to the 25-06 target rifle I was shooting them all plus a few other that I grew in to shooting real fast like the Marlin 45-70 lever gun and the 8" barreled Smith K frame 357 mag pistol.

I just get worse with every day. I find more and more firearms that I must have and more and more cartridges I would like to have as well. I started young on the gun nut road. I would read shooters bibles, magazines, reloading manuals, shooting books, anything that delt with guns I was reading it from cover to cover.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:05 AM   #12

Cool, another Aussie on here!

I spent a lot of my childhood in western New South Wales in teh Australian Outback, where nearly everyone had a rifle of some kind.
My father spent some years as a professional shooter, mostly hunting foxes for fur, but also crocodiles ( before they protected them), and crop protection against wild pigs, goats, geese, and kangaroos.
At age 3 I could dismantle Dad's .303 Lee Enfield, take apart the 12g double, and I had fired primers out of both and loved it.
My father made me a wooden Lee Enfield, about 1/3 scale and fully detailed. I was taught firearm safety from when I could walk and talk, and I was told that if I did not treat the toy rifle as I would a real one, and went around pointing it at people then it would be taken off me.
So, I used to stalk the wild cats and rabbits and pretend to shoot them.

Later I graduated to shooting dog food cans with teh .22 and got my own airgun with which i used to shoot beer cans for hours on end.

Then came the firearm law reforms here, and a teenager with an airgun was a threat to society, so I had to stop.

Then we moved to a new house where teh bloke next door was a target pistol shooter, so we tagged along, joined the club, then I was the club secretary for 2 years and I have never looked back.
I am now at a different club, on teh committee and I might be the secretary after teh AGM, as teh current one is thinking of retiring.
I am a rostered range officer every month or so and probably get there at least 3 times a month ( in fact a weekend without shooting is the exception rather than teh rule).
Both of my parents shoot, and I have some younger brothers who shoot, and a sister who is getting back into it after a few years away.
For us it is a family sport and always will be.

Old 06-03-2008, 05:45 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Righteous View Post
I live in the south....its not a passion......its a requirment
me too. Got my first shotgun (4.10) when i was 7 years old.

"This nation will remain the land of the free only so long as it is the home of the brave." ~ Elmer Davis

Old 06-03-2008, 06:49 PM   #14

There are a lot of cool and interesting stories from all of you. A fun read for sure. Anyway, I am a newcomer to the second amendment club.

I was grew up in a rural area where hunting and fishing were popular things to do among the population. I was always a music lover and spent my time "jamming and partying". Then a couple of years ago I moved to the "city". Des Moines, Iowa actually. While living there I came to realize that ALL my friends owned at least one gun and most of them had several.

Some were guys that moved from small towns to the city and brought their hunting roots with them while others were just fascinated by guns for no particular reason. The one common thing among all of them however, was "protection".

I recently moved back down to my small rural hometown and a good friend of mine, who is a staunch second amendment lover, would talk to me about guns for protection, liberty, ect...Well one day my cousin came to visit from Des Moines (he loves guns as well and has a small handgun and an AK) and we were talking about guns and we all decided to go to the local gun shop. While there I was just asking some general questions about the laws and what it took to be able to purchase a gun, ect..Well I decided to go ahead and get a cheap gun so I asked the guy at the shop what he had and I decided to get a Marlin 60 rifle. I filled out all of the paperwork and I ended up having to wait until the next day to come pick it up. On 05-14-08 I picked up my Marlin and my love affair for guns was started.

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Old 06-04-2008, 01:19 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Like bazillions of Americans, our house had plenty of firearms. Deer rifles, bird guns, slug guns, varmint rifles, and some novelty/wall-hanger stuff. I feel safe in saying that I have the most intricately carved double-Damascus-barreled 12-gauge you'll ever see, but it never put food on the table.
In our house, firearms were tools for putting food on the table and putting down dogs who spent too long in the road.
Tools. They were useful for a given purpose. In the military, I generally shot very well because I had grown up shooting everything from an ancient falling-block .22 Short target rifle to the Colt Model 1911, so the M-14, 16-A1, and M-2 were just different tools. Really fast, powerful tools, but tools just the same.
I guess what I'm trying to say is that I'm not a firearms enthusiast, just an owner and a competent user. I don't care what someone likes about a gun, I care about what they DON'T like about it.
My current situation calls for a reliable, concealable tool which I can kill a bad guy with, and I have that. I'm here in hopes of finding products and issues to which I have not been exposed, and options to help me overcome shortcomings I see in both my weapon and my situational awareness.
Basically, I want one of you to buy a Sig P250 and write a review telling the world that it's the greatest invention since toilet paper, because I think that it may very well be.

Old 06-04-2008, 08:24 PM   #16

When I was 7 years old my dad died.So I was never around any firearms when I was young.I can't honestly say if he liked firearms or not I don't know. As I got older I had a friend from school. Him and his dad were gun fanatics and I guess I got bit by that firearms bug.I use to hang around them and I learned allot about guns.At that time I only owned a Winchester M-94. I got my frist handgun when I was 19 which happened to be a S&W M-67 right after the stainless models were introduced.Since then guns have been a great interest and passion to me.I have my fair share of them,I've slowed way down buying any lately.Unless something really catches my eye my gun buying days are about over.Then again I said that before LOL.

***** NRA Patron Member *****

Last edited by Ruger Redhawk; 06-05-2008 at 02:48 AM.

Old 06-05-2008, 02:04 AM   #17

I always was kind of a pain in the ass, rebellious wild and honary as a kid. most of my family dont like guns but i always give something a chance just bc everybody else hated it. curiousity i guess. brought a BB gun home one day without asking(big trouble for a lil while) and just loved it. target shooting became a fasination for me, shot tons of things in the backyard, guess i just stepped to the big boy toys when i was old enough and more responsible for a real firearm lol. plan on buying much more guns down the road when money isnt an issue. for now i have my daily carry G23 and thats all i need for now until i can purchase remington 700. from there not sure but definately more to come!

Old 06-05-2008, 04:16 PM   #18

Likes Given: 1

Default Randy

I guess I became interested hearing my father talk about hunting. A
passion he once did alot of, but a dynmite accident took away his vision.
Yes is slowed the man down, but not his desire to work & care for his
family. As for me & my brother's I am about the only one who still hunts
& enjoy's firearms. There is one weapon I'd truely love to own, my dad's
last Model 70 in a 300 H & H.. He raffled it off as a way to generate $$
after he got hurt.

Today it seems if a man gets blow up by an explosion & survives , we
the people end up caring for them. Not my dad, never took a dime of
assitance from the goverment. Self employed Chicken farmer, later cabinet
maker house builder & finally Turkey call maker from Pa.

Old 06-05-2008, 09:49 PM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 7

As a child my father enrolled me (an Army Brat) in a Jr. NRA Marksmanship Program, while living in the then Territory of Hawaii. Indoor, .22 caliber single shot rifles. I had fun with it, but when we transferred back to the Mainland (Monterey Calif.) there was no local chapter, so I went on to other things.

Fast forward to 1968, while in the US Navy, stationed at NAS Miramar (Fightertown USA) San Diego, in the (aircraft) weapons division. At the tender age of 21, I was promoted to the exalted rank of E-5 (Second Class Aviation Ordnanceman) and my boss had to re-assign me. The base pistol range needed a Range Master, so I got the gig. The job was to instruct Navy Aviators in the care and feeding of the 1911a1, conduct marksmanship and familiarization courses to other Navy personnel, and the Marine detachment had their normal qualifications there. (The Marines hated being supervised by a "squid." )

It mattered not in the military way of doing things that I had never fired a pistol in my life.

I arrived at the range and quickly learned that the 11th Naval District Pistol Team had daily practice there. I went to one of the team members and explained my dilemma. The short version is I wound up shooting on the team. I had the keys to the range, the armory and the ammo locker. The rest, as they say, is history.

Retired Police Detective '71-'01 / LEOSA Certified
Naval Aviation Veteran '65-'69

United States Constitution (c) 1791
All Rights Reserved

Old 06-06-2008, 03:28 AM   #20

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 7

I remeber the very moment as if it was yesterday. I was 7 years old. My father and I had been sitting in that deer blind for what seemed like weeks. It was about 20 degrees out and there was at least a mile and a half deep Michigan snow at our feet. I heard a noise, a slight rustling sound made by the sleeves of my fathers coat brushing his bright orange vest as he raised his 30.06 to his left shoulder. I closed my eyes as tight as possible just in time to hear him set that cannon off. The roar of that single shot seemed to linger in those trees forever. After a childish on my dads face, and about a 200 yard walk, we came upon the doe that had the privelege of being our supper in the coming months. It wasn't the thrill of the hunt or the good eating that followed that made me love guns. Instead, it was seeing what happens when a 30.06 round connects with the back of a deer's skull at 200 yards Been hooked ever since.