Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   The Club House (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/)
-   -   How did you become interested...? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f12/how-did-you-become-interested-4740/)

MrRemmy 06-02-2008 10:03 AM

How did you become interested...?

Hey everyone,

I just thought it would be cool to share how we became interested in our passion for firearms. I have been interested in them for as long as i can remember, and with my dad and his friends being long-time hunters and target shooters, i guess i was just kinda brought up around them, and grew to like them and show interest as i got older. I imagine most of you guys here would be the same, although i know people that have never been interested in them until they one day had a shot for the first time, and they loved it from there on in, and others that have used them occupationally. Anyway, it'll be good to see some different stories :)

Matty ;)

bkt 06-02-2008 10:40 AM

I came late to the party. About a year before 9/11, I was studying Islamic history. After 9/11, we made the decision to store provisions and have a means of defending what we have. Also, I started studying American history and learned what 2A was really about and also learned how very, very off-course we are politically.

Then, a buddy took me to the range and I tried out a bunch of different guns and got the bug. :)

Righteous 06-02-2008 11:21 AM

I live in the south....its not a passion......its a requirment

Chance_P 06-02-2008 11:52 AM

I used to go shooting shotguns and 22's with my dad whenever he was around when I was younger. Then when I turned 16 my cousin started taking me shooting with him. I've been hooked ever sense.

ScottG 06-02-2008 02:00 PM

I've posted this in other threads before, but I and my family aren't gun phobic. Living in the suburbs and growing up in the 60s and 70s, it didn't seem like any guns were necessary. We have my grandfather's old .410 and that was the only gun in the house. We had bb guns off and on, but no one really needed a gun for protection.

I had/have an interest in military history, so you always come upon firearms. I didn't fear them, just never felt the need to have one of my own.

Then one very early morning while sitting at the computer, I heard our doorbell ring. At least I thought I did, but no one else in the house said they heard it. It didn't sound quite like it does normally, so maybe I was hearing things. I went to the front bedroom my little girl was in and listened at the door before I opened it to look out the window to view the front door. Before I opened it I heard a rapping at the window. At that point I went and turned on the outside light, woke up my dad and told him what happened. We went outside and no one was around, except we went to the back of the house which fronts a major street and I saw someone walking away from the area. Don't really know if this person was at the door or not, but this was the only person in the area.

After that I decided to buy a shotgun. Since then I reasoned that if I was going to own guns, I should be familiar with each type: shotgun, revolver, pistol, rifle. Further subdivided into small and largebore for practice and self defense. And it will continue until my "wish list" is filled, or until I run out of money..... :D

npbwbass 06-02-2008 05:49 PM

Ever since

Ever since I found you could put holes in stuff a long way off and not have to walk down and do it with a drill, and that the rabbits would not set still and let you walk up and and let you take them home to eat. I put 2+2 together and was hooked at 8 years old.

Dillinger 06-02-2008 05:58 PM

Got started early - My old man gave me my first BB gun ( A lever action Daisy ) at age four or five and I would sit on the deck, under his guidance, and shoot empty beer cans off a sawhorse that was maybe 10 feet away. After that there was no turning back. Small bore shooting, shotgun, combo competitions, NRA Tyro class was my playground for a few years until I discovered the girls in my glass started to develop some serious curves. Took several years off and then got back into it and haven't looked back. :cool:

JD

h&k bigdaddydieseldan 06-02-2008 08:32 PM

Always loved watching shows with guns in them and then finally met a friend who was into guns and then it was all over after that :D:D:D:D

hillbilly68 06-02-2008 11:46 PM

Good question, can't remember anything specific. I can just remember as a young kid (4 or 5) seeing my Dad's Parker Hale and how the finish was just perfect on the wood and metal and the smell of the gun oil. I guess it is ingrained in the male DNA, there was just something about it that I wanted to get next to. And it just grew from there. :cool:

Chester 06-03-2008 12:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Righteous (Post 26423)
I live in the south....its not a passion......its a requirment

I live in the same south as Righteous, American by birth, Southern by the grace of God.

It's my thinking that every law abiding person should be required to carry a loaded firearm at all times